Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:05 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDDiamondGirl View Post
McMansions are found in the neighborhoods of people with money and absolutely no taste....
OK, I see one problem. We have a different interpretation of what "ostentatious" means. I've always thought it was the overt display of wealth, which is what McMansions are all about, whereas you're interpreting "ostentatious" to mean REAL displays of REAL wealth. Without looking at a dictionary, I don't know which of us is more correct but I certainly have no personal issues with you, SLO, your friends, my friends, or anything else. Please, remember we're socializing here and our purpose is to share ourselves and some useful info, not to demonize each other. I truly have no problem with anything you've said and am surprised at your defensive posture.

Peace pipe? Or do you want to take a swing at me first with a baseball bat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 04:18 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,585 times
Taken from dictionary.com:

ostentatious

–adjective 1. characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others: an ostentatious dresser.
2. (of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice: Lady Bountiful's ostentatious charity.

Just a third party addition. Now back to regular programming .

Old 12-01-2006, 04:20 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,404 times
Interesting that someone who drives an old truck and lives up a dirt road, would be dismissed by someone who thinks the L'Auberge du Soleil implies class.. Many times the man who drives an old truck and lives up a dirt road,, Santa Margarita, Atascadero, Paso Robles, owns 10,000 acres and 100 thoroughbred horses.

Consider this, the old money of England,, and the old money of Central CA, would not be caught dead in a new car, but would only drive a well used car and wear old tweeds..

A small story, someone I know well, who lives on the Central Coast and owns hundreds of acres of land, and holds vast amounts of investments throughout the nation, drives a 10 year old car and shops at the $.99 story as the dollar store is too expensive.

Now, the first thing you would notice about this 80 year old woman is that her clothing is well understated, but, then you would notice the quality of the clothing, not what is normally found at Macys or Robinsons. You may notice that the diamonds on her ring are not large, you may notice if you were the sort to notice that sort of stuff, that the clarity of the diamonds on her ring are far beyond anything you have seen.

You may enter her house, you would notice that what hangs on the wall, what adorns the rooms, are not things which mere money would purchase. If you were to visit her friends you would see much the same.

Those who wear their money for the world to see, are typically what are called noveau riche.

Back to my deranged sister in law, I would love to tell the story that lies with that label, but this is not really the place. As the wife of one of the leading businessmen along the Central Coast, the operator of a business that has operated since 1900, she often attended events in the area open to those with similar backgrounds.

Here is something to consider too, you see this along the coast from Santa Barbara to beyond Santa Rosa. Those with new money, made in this generation often build large dramatic houses high on hills with sweeping views[exposed of course to wind and public scrutiny]

The old money? Their homes, while perhaps large tend to be built in coves and glades, nestled among oaks, monterey pines and Eucalyptus. A noticeable exception would be Marre's house high on the hill above Avila Beach.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:27 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,585 times
yes . . . and rats run in droves to feast on exposed food, too.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:33 PM

128 posts, read 638,365 times
Default I plead Conscientious Objector

I'm quite non violent so there will be no bat swinging, and no judgmental nastiness, name calling, inuendo, insinuations, cursing, labeling, or accusations...........or I'll be gone in a poof. I can't stand those blogs where you see all of that. Hey, have you ever been to the BadBusinessBureau site? It's also called TheRipOffReport. That's a good one. Look up your neighborhood for consumer complaints on businesses. That is another wonderful and helpful way to get real information and not BS advertising. They get pretty heated up in there. I reported someone from Paso once. I wish more people knew about it. The Better Business Bureau is a waste of time. The Internet has opened up a huge can of worms and at the same time has provided consumers with tremendous power.

Well, anyhow I guess I was wrong. I thought I detected a slight angriness in there.....but maybe not. I didn't mean to sound defensive, either. This is a much better subject than pro/anti capital punishment don't you think????? Maybe some time you would want to take on the one about "Money doesn't buy you happiness." That's always a good one. Anyhow, what is Austin like? I should go look up the great state of Texas for some threads. I was in Houston once. Now there's a controversial city. Love-hate.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:56 PM

Default To GreatBasinGuide

I don't know how to use the quote function on here...I'm not getting anywhere with it, but anyhow, you said I would dismissed that rich old lady because she was cheap and would have no interest in the L'Auberge du Soleil. Hey, I wouldn't do that. I don't dismiss anyone if they're nice. I just wouldn't ask her for a suggestion for my next vacation spot.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:11 PM

Default Old Money hogwash Sir BasinGuide

Well, no offense to those who think everyone with Old Money is so plain and understated and approachable....but that is really, well, kind of funny. Sure, they look so much like the masses that you wouldn't be able to pick them out in a crowd......NOT !!! Monsieur BasinGuide, have you ever been to the East Coast where the REAL old money is in this country? The Industrialist and banking money from a gazillion years ago ???? Nothing plain about those houses. No groves, not hidden or nestled or "quiet" in any way, shape or form. Are you kidding? I guess you've never seen Palm Beach either. The Yachts, as I recall, are not hidden under any trees in the lagoons, and the homes are definitely not plain or understated in any way so as not to draw attention to them. And the women and children of the rich who appear in their Couture gowns and Armani Tuxes at the Galas and have their pictures in the magazines.....they are not carrying Harlequin masks to hide their faces from the shame of looking so deliciously rich, nor are they turning their huge diamonds around backwards so they won't interfere with the flash photography. Who is kidding whom here ????

Old 12-01-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I'm quite non violent so there will be no bat swinging...
You had me all excited and now this pacifism? Oops, wait a minute, I forgot I'm not on the "Beat me up with a bat" forum, I keep switching between the two!
Quote:
TheRipOffReport. That's a good one. Look up your neighborhood for consumer complaints on businesses.
Thanks, that's an excellent tip, though I haven't even looked at it yet. But it's definitely a needed service because there are so many unscrupulous businesses and so many mean people in the world .
Quote:
Well, anyhow I guess I was wrong. I thought I detected a slight angriness in there.....but maybe not. I didn't mean to sound defensive, either. This is a much better subject than pro/anti capital punishment don't you think?????
So, I see this isn't your first chat forum . Capital punishment, abortion, the Iraq war, what else have we seen too much of?

Thank you for your kind response. Much appreciated. I'm using this forum exclusively these days because I got so tired of the other places where bomb-throwing and flame wars were all the rage (no pun intended.)
Quote:
...what is Austin like? I should go look up the great state of Texas for some threads.
Yes, just visit the Austin forum and you'll see about 50,000 words of praise from me about my adopted hometown. I absolutely love it here in spite of its obvious massive flaws. I think that's a reflection of how I feel about myself --- I'm a genuinely good person who is flawed in many obvious ways but loved by most who meet me .

Old 12-01-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
...the old money of Central CA, would not be caught dead in a new car, but would only drive a well used car and wear old tweeds..
Yup. So much truth to that. Look at Sam Walton, he never left his Arkansas roots in spite of his billions. And Bill Gates still looks like a 40K-per-year nerd with a bad haircut and dorky glasses, but his mansion overlooking Lake Washington (or whatever it's called) is far from humble!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Back to my deranged sister in law, I would love to tell the story that lies with that label, but this is not really the place.
You're such a tease!!! The first time you posted the words "deranged sister in law" I was salivating in anticipation of the back-story, but now you tell us you're going to leave us in the dark?

Then again, "My Deranged Sister In Law" is a great name for a rock band.
Quote:
I don't know how to use the quote function
You more than make up for that lack of knowledge with your talented usage of the "Title" space for your posts!

Old 12-01-2006, 08:06 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,404 times
Interesting post,, Old money,, in the east can't go back much more than 300 years.. Some,, well sometimes more than some,, old money in the West is old old English,, google up "Remittance man, those second and third sons. Beatup old landrovers.

I think perhaps you may like the idea of the "noisy" rich. But many just aren't as deep trance hints at. I know a family, they have a house at Tahoe (and other places), but they cannot go to Denny's or Starbucks or shopping without the security detail going first, vetting the place and setting up security. Their house is, appallingly enough nearly 60,000 square feet.

I certainly do not envy them.. I like my little Tahoe house,, on my acreage, where few know who I am, or care.

Ah,, my deranged sister in law... you know the word that resembles 'itch' well,, to the point of insanity she is. A few beers at a table in a small bar off Higuera street, and I could tell you the tales..

A mild one,, her daughter loved horses, was given a fine Arabian,, far too much horse for an 8 year old, but the daughter did well, so well infact that mother went and got herself a similar horse and began competing in the same events..

Jealousy of the success of your own child is deranged.. The stories go down hill from there, but, she dressed well. I think my brother married her because, he wanted to put his psychology classes to work.

We have always figured that if my mother passed on, she would have the movers in to strip her house before the EMTs could move mom out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California