U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 06:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,959 times

Advertisements

Will start working in Parlier and looking for a quiet community to live. I was told Parlier is not the best place to live and not sure if a surrounding area is better? I've been looking at Sanger, Reedley, Clovis. I'm looking for minimal commute and a place my kids will be happy. Since I will be in the area for a while I am looking to purchase a home between 200-300k. Anyone have any suggestions or know of a good area close to Parlier?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 06:41 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,993,838 times
Clovis. I would not consider any of the others.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:59 PM

758 posts, read 1,769,497 times
Clovis is a good option and is close to all the shopping/amenities in Fresno. Good school district, very family-friendly, mostly safe. Lots of parks and trails in the newer parts. Not a bad drive to Parlier, either. The eastern parts of Clovis would be a good option for working in Parlier.

Reedley is a great little town, but more off the beaten path since it's not on 99. But it's a really nice community with a cute downtown and the river running through it.

I'd skip Sanger.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:48 PM

35 posts, read 39,105 times
Reedley is literally 5-10 minutes from parlier, so that would be the closest. I lived in Reedley my whole life until this past year. Reedley has the small town appeal, good food, the best fruit you can imagine, but the crime there is definitely increasing. That's why I moved away. It's probably avoidable, I just needed a change myself. Like others said, definitely skip sanger and definitely don't live in parlier. Maybe try kingsburg.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:23 AM

2,166 posts, read 2,600,377 times
+1 on Clovis. Reedley seems ok for the most part, but suffers from lack of easy access and as noted, has a few sketchy areas. Nearest freeway is ~15 miles away.

Avoid like the plague all the others: Parlier, Orange Cove, Sanger, etc. Just last week, an innocent 16 year old girl was shot in the face because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Huge story up here. Gang related and my guess is that they will never catch the perps. The only thing worse than being killed in the crossfire would be surviving it the way this poor girl did. She survived but lost an eye, which means she now has to go the rest of her life with a grotesque disfigurement and partial loss of vision. No way to hide it. Not like being shot in the arm or leg, where it will heal and leave a scar.

So heed our advice. Stay the hell out of the small town Central Valley towns. The only one that looks and feels even remotely safe would be Kingsburg. And even that I'd take with a grain of salt, since it too has gotten its share of free publicity if you get my drift.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:34 AM

3,377 posts, read 5,281,297 times
Kingsburg. Its eight miles from Parlier and infinitely nicer. Has a fairly large Swedish population and there's a big festival every year. Good schools if that's a priority for you. Its only 20 miles or so to Fresno for nights out or shopping.

Kingsburg, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://cityofkingsburg-ca.gov/
Kingsburg Chamber of Commerce - About the Chamber

Old 03-09-2015, 07:59 PM

19 posts, read 38,112 times
I will recommend Sanger over Kingsburg just because of the school district of sanger is better. Sanger has good areas but I will probably not live there. Look for a house in the Sunnyside area in Fresno is like 15-20 minutes from Parlier, and close to the freeway and very safe, and the school district is Sanger which is just behind Clovis School District. Clovis is good place but will take you 30-50 minutes commute depending in which Clovis areas you decided to live.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:36 AM

3,377 posts, read 5,281,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFriend View Post
I will recommend Sanger over Kingsburg...
Oh no. No, no, no.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:44 PM

2,238 posts, read 2,555,058 times
I suggest Centerville.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,621 times
I grew up in Orange Cove in the sixties and seventies, been away since 79, there has always been gang problems, its a lot worse now from what I've heard, its too bad they ruin it for everyone, it was a beautiful place to grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California