Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 02:32 PM

178 posts, read 225,953 times

Advertisements

and wanted to ask any locals there, what cellphones get the best reception?

I do us a "no contract" which I love, and get as good of reception from that as I ever did from "contract" phones. I am not opposed to a contract phone though if a company is highly recommended for the Lakeport area

I appreciate any help, and I am moving from Oregon by the way as I am retiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 02:35 PM

102,060 posts, read 106,950,530 times
Don't they have land lines around Clear Lake?

Old 01-12-2015, 02:46 PM

I don't use landlines, not for some time, but thanks for the question.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:03 PM

21,594 posts, read 16,091,646 times
If your "no contract" service is Consumer Cellular (I'm guessing maybe so because that company markets strongly to seniors and has very attractive no-contract plans) their system utilizes AT&T towers. So your reception would fall into strengths / weaknesses of the AT&T network.

If your phone is through some other provider, call them and ask which major network they buy their access from. Alternates to the few major players such as AT&T and Verizon all utilize major networks. Smaller providers never maintain their own towers and systems.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:15 PM

Excellent Tulemutt,

I'm holding off on the phone purchase right now, mine was lost or stolen, never did find it. So since I'm moving to Lakeport, want to see what flies well there. I did have Straight Talk through Walmart which was great in the Roseburg area. I am thinking it ran off Verizon towers, but could be wrong.

I'll just do as you say and call some providers, and ask. Any preference between the AT&T towers and Verizon? I'm betting so similar hard to tell the difference, maybe?

Thank you much,

denise

Old 01-12-2015, 03:19 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,408,149 times
AT&T and Verizon are still the 'biggies', although they each use different technologies (AT&T uses GSM, and Verizon uses CDMA). So any other service that 'piggy backs' off them will also use the same tech and you'll need to be sure your current phone is compatible if you switch. AT&T has made a big effort in the past few years to increase their cell towers and become more competitive, and though there used to be a lot more dead spots, nowadays I never have any probs using my phone over there. Best bet is to sign up for a 'trial' and see what actually works for you in your specific location.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:36 PM

Thanks Mateo

I don't go for "smart" phones, just don't want all that stuff to get hooked on. So an LG flip phone is most likely what I'll get again. I will check on the compatability with the two technologies though. Didn't know about that. But if I go with say a "go phone" I believe that is At&t, or they piggy back off them. The go phone would adapt to that tech. Anyway, I'll check all that out. Maybe more folks will show up that use the no-contract phones that are having good look on one or the other.

Your phone is At&T?? Thanks again Mateo denise

Old 01-12-2015, 04:07 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,408,149 times
^ Yup, GoPhones are part of AT&T, and you should be able to just buy a few minutes and give 'em a 'test'.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:24 PM

The only thing I will also need is the right phone. I'm not into "smart" ones as I said but I want one I really like, like the Lg I had, or something similar I sure appreciate all your help mateo. I'm so looking forward to living there, especially since I love to kayak. I just hope one of those big sailboats doesn't run over me, LOL!! denise

Old 01-12-2015, 06:33 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,473,614 times
I used to live in Ukiah. Your choices are ATT, Verizon.

Verizon has better coverage, but ATT is also good. Heading east on HWY 20 you loose coverage once you leave the Clearlake Basin. West is not an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California