Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 08:43 PM

807 posts, read 897,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
My car just failed smog. The cost of diagnosis and a new catalytic converter $450, Smog check $60, and registration renewall $86. This is tax as far as I am concerned because the goverment forces you to pay it.
Ensuring that your vehicle's exhaust is clean is a part of responsible vehicle ownership.

The anti-smog technology is what visibly cleared up California's air even as the population increased. Government stepped in when people couldn't be reasoned into cleaning up after themselves.

Side-by-side photo comparison posted by bigdumbgod: Here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 12:56 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
California is right up there with the big boys, when you consider total state and local total tax burden based on income. Hits 4th place, overall.

Annual State-Local Tax Burden Ranking FY 2011 | Tax Foundation

Old 01-17-2015, 04:27 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
Ensuring that your vehicle's exhaust is clean is a part of responsible vehicle ownership.

The anti-smog technology is what visibly cleared up California's air even as the population increased. Government stepped in when people couldn't be reasoned into cleaning up after themselves.

Side-by-side photo comparison posted by bigdumbgod: Here.
When you get your car smoged they don't even check to see if the exhaust meets the standard. They just look to make sure you don't have any aftermarket parts of the car that haven't paid the state bribery fee to carb. They don't care about smog, they care about getting paid.

If they were truly after making air cleaner they would let you instal whatever parts on your car you want as long as you passed an exhaust test.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
When you get your car smoged they don't even check to see if the exhaust meets the standard. They just look to make sure you don't have any aftermarket parts of the car that haven't paid the state bribery fee to carb. They don't care about smog, they care about getting paid.

If they were truly after making air cleaner they would let you instal whatever parts on your car you want as long as you passed an exhaust test.
That's a little exaggerated given that they still use sensor readings that happen to be from your own car's functional air quality sensors.

I do agree that there could be better ways handle aftermarket parts today, especially given that people's awareness and understanding of smog is finally increasing. That they haven't done so yet is probably because of the bureaucratic inertia we see from big organizations in general, that preference to let something that works, even if badly, continue working as it is rather than take a chance on changes that might improve it.

Still, smog checks in some form or another is a necessary part of responsible vehicle operation and ownership. That the state couldn't do a better job of implementing a program does not make this a tax, especially since the air quality initiatives as a whole actually worked.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:17 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Transplants especially those who hated their former climate zone tend to rationalize a heck of a lot more than most natives. The climate premium still works enough to keep this state in business. It will be interesting to see what happens when we get the double whammy of the current Dot Bomb 3.0 bursting and the real macro deflation achieves global reach.
LOL! So true. It is amazing how transplants are always such try hards.

They are not and will never be California natives. Some of them are so annoying and always trying to be know it alls, while ruining the state for us natives. I wish that we could have a transplant tax that would tax 15% of their gross income.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:10 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
That's a little exaggerated given that they still use sensor readings that happen to be from your own car's functional air quality sensors.

I do agree that there could be better ways handle aftermarket parts today, especially given that people's awareness and understanding of smog is finally increasing. That they haven't done so yet is probably because of the bureaucratic inertia we see from big organizations in general, that preference to let something that works, even if badly, continue working as it is rather than take a chance on changes that might improve it.

Still, smog checks in some form or another is a necessary part of responsible vehicle operation and ownership. That the state couldn't do a better job of implementing a program does not make this a tax, especially since the air quality initiatives as a whole actually worked.
I wouldn't mind a smog check if it was every 3 years, cars were exempt for the first 5 years of life and the only thing measured was the exhaust and the standard for passing didn't flucuate every year at the whim of carp.

I don't know why people don't call this program out for what it truely is, a regressive tax on the poor.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:32 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Well, it's not a SALES tax

Old 01-18-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I wouldn't mind a smog check if it was every 3 years, cars were exempt for the first 5 years of life and the only thing measured was the exhaust and the standard for passing didn't flucuate every year at the whim of carp.

I don't know why people don't call this program out for what it truely is, a regressive tax on the poor.
New cars are currently exempt for 6 years. With a fee, of course. Agreed that life would be more convenient if they lengthened the check to 3 years. Suppose they made the first two or three checks at 3 years and then the rest at 2 years since it is older cars that require more concern?

It's not a regressive tax on the poor so much as it is something that simply brings the cost of ICE vehicle ownership closer to its true value.

Certainly agreed, a high base cost of living is always unfavorable to the people at the bottom. But basic responsibilities like this one shouldn't be bypassed, in my opinion. There are more significant factors that are causing problems with regards to cost of living, although it would also therefore make sense to include smog obligations into cost of living calculations for determining socioeconomic statistics, taxes, welfare, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well, it's not a SALES tax
Sales taxes are arguably regressive!

Last edited by DriveNotCommute; 01-18-2015 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Saw Tulemutt's post after initial posting.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
My car just failed smog. The cost of diagnosis and a new catalytic converter $450, Smog check $60, and registration renewall $86. This is tax as far as I am concerned because the goverment forces you to pay it.
I've seen many otherwise nice to very nice cars sent off to salvage yards over smog issues...

Thing is these are very nice cars that run well... sometimes a check engine light for something very minor that might not even be a factor will cost hundreds of dollars... just another step towards being a throw-away society where the cost of repairs makes continued ownership problematic.

I have a 80 year old neighbor that drives less than 1000 miles a year... just to church, grocery and doctor visits... her car did not pass smog... my personal opinion is because she does not drive it long enough at any one time for it to come to full operating temp...

Anyway, she is now car less and the county issues her taxi vouchers to takes her where she needs to go... doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

I guess it works out for her... she no longer pays registration, insurance, fuel etc.. and instead receives free door to door taxi service courtesy of the taxpayers...

It's important to point out all Government Vehicles are exempt from Smog requirements in the interest of cost savings... also, not every car registered is subject to the same requirements... guess it depends on where you live.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:20 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
For all you hand wringers:
If You’re Planning a Big Shopping Trip Anytime Soon, You’ll Want to Check Out This Sales Tax Map
Note: The 1,2,3,5 & 6 highest sales tax are Babble Belt god fearing freedom loving states. And that number 4 that's higher than California at number 8? Washington state.
As I thought NY has higher (although only slightly being #7) sales tax than California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California