U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 01:26 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,424,144 times

Advertisements

Well, we can't always go 100% by the numbers when it comes to comparing crime rates of cities (especially those with different population numbers).

But, let's compare Redding to my location...

Redding - 449.6
Indio - 253.0

So, nearly twice as high as that of Indio.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 5,773 times
Hello friends. My husband and I currently live in Santa Cruz, CA. While we love this beautiful little beach town, it is just too damn expensive. We have decided to move to Redding area (maybe up in Lewiston or Shasta??) to be able to buy a home and live more simply, avoid the traffic and all the people. Does that sound crazy to some? Probably. I will find out if I can hack it in Redding, CA and will hopefully be escaping the heat by heading to the mountains, rivers and lakes as much as possible. I hope other young(er), hopeful, positive, outdoor-oriented people will join the "move"ment to more affordable pastures. Wish us luck!

Old 05-05-2020, 08:11 AM

460 posts, read 106,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianvice View Post
Hello friends. My husband and I currently live in Santa Cruz, CA. While we love this beautiful little beach town, it is just too damn expensive. We have decided to move to Redding area (maybe up in Lewiston or Shasta??) to be able to buy a home and live more simply, avoid the traffic and all the people. Does that sound crazy to some? Probably. I will find out if I can hack it in Redding, CA and will hopefully be escaping the heat by heading to the mountains, rivers and lakes as much as possible. I hope other young(er), hopeful, positive, outdoor-oriented people will join the "move"ment to more affordable pastures. Wish us luck!
Make sure you home is insurable there....many aren't, anymore, and have to get expensive calfair plan.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:34 AM

87,528 posts, read 81,157,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianvice View Post
HOT, HOT, HOT 6 months/year. Triple-digit temps well into October. Have you considered Humboldt, where it's cooler, and there's a plentiful water supply? No A/C needed in most parts of Humboldt. It's probably a little pricier than Shasta/Redding, but there are communities that are lower-priced than others. Take a look at Fortuna.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:05 PM

67,727 posts, read 5,284,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
HOT, HOT, HOT 6 months/year. Triple-digit temps well into October. Have you considered Humboldt, where it's cooler, and there's a plentiful water supply? No A/C needed in most parts of Humboldt. It's probably a little pricier than Shasta/Redding, but there are communities that are lower-priced than others. Take a look at Fortuna.
Some people like the heat. It is great for water based activities.

Old 05-05-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Some people like the heat. It is great for water based activities.
Well, there's heat, and then there's HEAT!

And don't forget; HEAT! means less water over time.

The OP is living in Santa Cruz currently, where she loves the weather. Redding might be too much of a shock for her.

OP: visit in August/Sept. before you decide.

Old 05-05-2020, 03:03 PM

We spent a few days in Redding, & one day, kayaking on Whiskeytown lake. It didn't seem any hotter than other parts of NorCal, which are also often in triple digits much of the year.

According to google, Redding is the 3rd hottest city in California. Not even first. Fresno & Bakersfield have it hotter.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
We spent a few days in Redding, & one day, kayaking on Whiskeytown lake. It didn't seem any hotter than other parts of NorCal, which are also often in triple digits much of the year.

According to google, Redding is the 3rd hottest city in California. Not even first. Fresno & Bakersfield have it hotter.
lol. Cute. Very cute. But again, I suggest: bearing in mind, that the OP is currently living in Santa Cruz, which has natural air conditioning from the ocean.

But hopefully, the OP will return to the thread, to give us her feedback on the comments so far.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:29 PM

I agree that the weather is vastly different between the two places. But people adjust. It depends on what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California