Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 12:54 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
maybe a sub forum called Jefferson for everything north of Marin county and Sacramento.
While that makes some sort of sense, it would devolve into a "shouting" match between separatists and those who oppose the concept.

I think the issue really is the relatively sparse population in NorCal so a separate forum is not seen as necessary. What's interesting, however, is that much smaller with fewer people Florida has 15 sub fora to California's nine.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:04 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,447,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
While that makes some sort of sense, it would devolve into a "shouting" match between separatists and those who oppose the concept.

I think the issue really is the relatively sparse population in NorCal so a separate forum is not seen as necessary. What's interesting, however, is that much smaller with fewer people Florida has 15 sub fora to California's nine.
You are right about it devolving. Maybe a sub forum for both the North Valley for Redding and another for Humboldt Bay. There are 134,000 people in Humboldt county and at least 90,000 live within a short distance of our small Metro community surrounding the bay. We are a collection of small towns, but we operated much like a fair sized city divided into districts. Our concerns and affairs do not relate to much of California south of Santa Rosa. If not for Redding, Eureka would be the largest town in northern Californias far counties, but it is 3 1/2 hours to Redding on a good day, so they are disctinct from us in most ways, that is why there is a good need for a sub forum for the North Valley.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:13 PM

If Sonoma county were added to the list of counties north of Marin and Sacramento, there are right around 2 million people that live north of the two largest metro communities in Central and Coastal California, so about 5% live north of those two, that is why we would never achieve separate statehood, we would be too small to support our own tax system, but we are enough to warrant a sub forum.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:47 PM

4,524 posts, read 12,333,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
If Sonoma county were added to the list of counties north of Marin and Sacramento, there are right around 2 million people that live north of the two largest metro communities in Central and Coastal California, so about 5% live north of those two, that is why we would never achieve separate statehood, we would be too small to support our own tax system, but we are enough to warrant a sub forum.
As of now, I would think anyone posting about Marin, Sonoma, Napa, or Solano Counties would post in the San Francisco-Oakland Subforum. These counties are all suburbs of San Francisco.

In some respects, I think they should have their own North Bay subforum, but I have often read that if someone is priced out of North Bay, they switch over to the East Bay. Based upon that, these posters argue that these areas should continue to be lumped together for convenience.

I would never consider Marin, Sonoma, Napa or Solano as part of the rural North State that I think the OP was referring to, and knowing the attitudes of some Bay Area people, they would be horrified that such a thought would enter anyone's mind. To many Bay Area posters, the North State is the land of Rubes and Boobs.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
As of now, I would think anyone posting about Marin, Sonoma, Napa, or Solano Counties would post in the San Francisco-Oakland Subforum. These counties are all suburbs of San Francisco.

In some respects, I think they should have their own North Bay subforum, but I have often read that if someone is priced out of North Bay, they switch over to the East Bay. Based upon that, these posters argue that these areas should continue to be lumped together for convenience.

I would never consider Marin, Sonoma, Napa or Solano as part of the rural North State that I think the OP was referring to, and knowing the attitudes of some Bay Area people, they would be horrified that such a thought would enter anyone's mind. To many Bay Area posters, the North State is the land of Rubes and Boobs.
I did not include Marin county, Napa county or Solano county and if I subracted Sonoma county, there are still 1.6 million people in the north part of the state where some think we are Rubes and Boobs. But let any of them try to live up here in our isolation and we really see who the rubes and boobs are. I am originally from Pittsburg California and lived in both Berkeley and Oakland before I moved here in 1992. Back then the speed limit was at 55 mph, it took just over 7 hours to get here from Berkeley and now it is under 6 hours.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:10 PM

807 posts, read 891,135 times
Here's the relevant thread from the forum FAQ with C-D policies about new subforums:

C-D FAQ: When are new local sub-forums added?

In short:
- Number of threads created matters, not the population of the area to be represented
- They prefer that the sub-forum region be as specific as possible
- There are logistics-related issues involved with adding a forum

In defense of those who mentioned population, I think there is some correlation between the population of an area and the interest & discussion it would generate, which would be why people instinctively use it as a metric. I do understand why it, by itself, is not suitable to be an end-all critera for C-D.

As a California forum visitor who regularly checks all of the subforums too, I would be okay with new subforums for North of "Northern California" regions. However, I don't have any complaints with the current arrangement of this board too.

OwlKaMyst posted a great hand drawn map in the California Pictures thread that might hold some relevance.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:57 PM

655 posts, read 1,325,416 times
The example mentioned about Florida was a good point. Some of the counties in their sub forums have tiny rural populations, so it seems to make sense that that northern 1/3 of CA could have its own subforum.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:02 PM

655 posts, read 1,325,416 times
And I forgot, I would bet that if there WAS a far No Cal forum that the traffic and posts would increase dramatically. If I was a resident up there I would feel sorely left out of this site discussions.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:05 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times
Shhhhh! We like people to be unaware of our section of CA. Let's keep directing them all somewhere else.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:14 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Shhhhh! We like people to be unaware of our section of CA. Let's keep directing them all somewhere else.
Why not! I've been discouraging Califoreigners from moving to the Ozarks for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California