Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 04:57 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,844 times

Advertisements

Why is there no forum for the entire northernmost third of the state? From Sonoma, Napa, Yolo & Placer Counties to the Oregon state line there at least needs to be a separate Forum, maybe two. There is one for Monterey which has less than a half mil popuation...doesn't make sense.

Any other thoughts on this?

Old 01-16-2015, 05:02 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
There's not too much interest in the north-north of CA, so when those inquiries come up, they're addressed in the general CA forum. It's relatively rare for people to be interested in CA north of the Bay Area. Whereas the Monterrey Bay area generates a fair amount of interest, due in part, probably, to the UC there, and also it's proximity to the SF Bay area. It's a popular area for living, recreation and vacation. Whereas the north Coast and Shasta--not as much.

However, the time may be coming for Sac to have it's own subforum. Or Sac & Redding, maybe.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:34 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

However, the time may be coming for Sac to have it's own subforum. Or Sac & Redding, maybe.
Sacramento does have its own subforum.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:45 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
The entire "north state" (outside the Sac area, which - as mentioned - does have a forum) has fewer people than Fresno -- which doesn't have a forum either.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:09 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
The entire "north state" (outside the Sac area, which - as mentioned - does have a forum) has fewer people than Fresno -- which doesn't have a forum either.
The Inland Empire has one, though.

hmm.... Or it used to. What happened to the IE forum?

Old 01-16-2015, 08:51 PM

807 posts, read 897,934 times
Inland Empire subforum is still there as the "San Bernardino and Riverside Counties" subforum. You made me go look for it right away. Even though I just checked it a few days ago I was starting to think I imagined the whole thing!

I have to agree with several other posters that North-of-Sacramento California does not seem to generate the same number of threads as the other regions do. Having those Redding related threads out in the general California forum actually increased my attention, awareness and interest in that area.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:46 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's not too much interest in the north-north of CA, so when those inquiries come up, they're addressed in the general CA forum. It's relatively rare for people to be interested in CA north of the Bay Area. Whereas the Monterrey Bay area generates a fair amount of interest, due in part, probably, to the UC there, and also it's proximity to the SF Bay area. It's a popular area for living, recreation and vacation. Whereas the north Coast and Shasta--not as much.

It is not that rare, at least twice to three times a week I see something about Eureka, Crescent City, Redding areas. We need a section for what is mostly the northern 1/3 of the state.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:19 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
It is not that rare, at least twice to three times a week I see something about Eureka, Crescent City, Redding areas. We need a section for what is mostly the northern 1/3 of the state.
I agree. I had to fight for the Monterey sub forum. Originally I was going for a Central Coast forum. But I was very happy to get *some* representation.

The basic CD argument against it was that there weren't enough posts to justify a new sub forum. So one of the suggestions from another poster who helped get the Ventura forum started was to kick off and stimulate more discussions about the area in question.

I also did a statistical counting to demonstrate the number of posts and therefore need for it. It's kinda surprising how hard it is to petition for something like this. But it really boils down to the numbers.

The problem with more region specific posts falling into the main California forum is you get more of the common hecklers there with very little actual experience with the area. In addition and more importantly there is no area grouping for someone to easily go and lookup common questions.

Good luck to anyone who tries to champion a northern California sub forum. I personally would love to see it.

Derek

Old 01-17-2015, 10:42 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
The problem with more region specific posts falling into the main California forum is you get more of the common hecklers there with very little actual experience with the area.
Boy howdy! And then there are those Heckle and Jekyll's who can't resist the temptation to wisecrack and joke!

Oh wait ...

Old 01-17-2015, 10:50 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I agree. I had to fight for the Monterey sub forum. Originally I was going for a Central Coast forum. But I was very happy to get *some* representation.

The basic CD argument against it was that there weren't enough posts to justify a new sub forum. So one of the suggestions from another poster who helped get the Ventura forum started was to kick off and stimulate more discussions about the area in question.

I also did a statistical counting to demonstrate the number of posts and therefore need for it. It's kinda surprising how hard it is to petition for something like this. But it really boils down to the numbers.

The problem with more region specific posts falling into the main California forum is you get more of the common hecklers there with very little actual experience with the area. In addition and more importantly there is no area grouping for someone to easily go and lookup common questions.

Good luck to anyone who tries to champion a northern California sub forum. I personally would love to see it.

Derek
Thank you Derek, I am used to championing for a cause. I got stop signs in my neighborhood after a 2.5 year study and collecting of information and everyone told me it would never happen. I belong to a forum for Honda Ridgeline owners and wanted to meet up with owners in the Central valley and over a few months was able to get a group of us organized to meet at the top of Mount Diablo, myself from way up here and another from Los Angelas and 5 more trucks from the central coast/valley, seven trucks in all and the next year three thrucks made it for the meet.

As of today there are 7 threads on the California page with a reference to Northern California, including this one. One is for Chico, one is for Redding, one is for Eureka. There is a fair group of us from up here that respond to posts inquiring about our area, we give more accurate posts about our economy, crime and housing then that from many posters who have not been up here in years or are misinformed about us, or are really so far from us, like the San Francisco or Sacramento areas, that it takes nearly 5 to 6 hours of driving on a good day to make the trip, that they are not really in touch with us, just share a monicker of Northern California. Anyone that has made the trip up here, wether from 101 or I-5 knows that everything north of San Francisco and Sacramenta are different economically, geographically, geologically and very significantly is politically. Our communities are tighther, for we see the same people daily and over time it seems like everyone knows everyone through one connection or another. I have known and met cd forum members in my own neighborhood and at the dog park. What is often relevant for much of California, may not fit us or apply to us. maybe a sub forum called Jefferson for everything north of Marin county and Sacramento.

Martin from far northern California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California