Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 10:18 PM

56 posts, read 177,887 times

Advertisements

Hello - I have been offered a position in Bakersfield near Ming Ave. I'm excited about it, but have a reservation due to Bakersfield's desert climate: I'm not sure if I could survive with such low rainfall and humidity and such high heat. I had a hard time in Denver which is only semi-arid (vs desert): no matter how much water I drank, I always felt dehyrdrated inside. I've read about the allergy problems people have when living in Bakersfield, but no mention of anyone dealing with dehydration. Has anyone have any issues with this, and if so, any tips on how to mitigate it?

The reason I am strongly considering the job (aside from the job itself) is because I absolutely love the eastern side of California and the Sierras - at least Sacramento/Folsom areas. My soul finally feels at rest there, and I've wanted to move there for the past 15 years. But, no jobs in my line of work in Sacramento area, so I feel fortunate to have an offer in Bakersfield. (I don't want to live on the west coast of California, too crowded, too expensive, too liberal)

With the reservation in mind, I am hoping for some input as to recommendations on smaller towns near Bakersfield. I've read through many forum entries recommending Tehachapi which sounds lovely due to smaller size and comparatively temperate climate, but at 45 minutes without traffic, the commute seems rather long.

How "bad" is the rush hour in Bakersfield? Most places you can calculate "miles x 3 = length of commute". Is Bakersfield no exception? Are there any smaller towns in the mountains to the east of Bakersfield which would compare to the Tehachapi climate which would be a roughly 30 min commute to the Ming Ave area? Of course, I welcome other options that I not have considered too!

I am a single white female, no kids, ~50 years old, conservative, quiet homebody, and activities other than work are church, gardening, reading, hiking & nature. I don't eat out or do much shopping.

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 11:49 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,747,982 times
I'll tackle the climatic issue first: the vast majority of California is arid or semi-arid. I think that goes without saying. Only the areas within about five miles of the coast, or along the bay or deltas in the SF Bay Area, would not qualify as either. Even then, most coastal areas average about 15" of precipitation per year, with only the far north coast (Mendocino, Humboldt, Del Norte Counties) receiving more rain. You could also live in the Sierra Nevada, too, if you like lots of snow during the winter, although the effects of gradual global warming are changing that ever so slowly. But then I know you have to live where there's work available...

I moved from Kentucky to California myself several years ago. I've only lived in "metropolitan" California--Silicon Valley, Orange County, and now the northern suburbs of Los Angeles. So I don't have experience living over the Tehachapi Mountains, though they sure are beautiful to drive through on either the 5 or 58 Freeways as you approach the Bakersfield area. I choose to live in coastal California because for my profession, the economic prospects are dramatically better. As a 20-something, so are the social prospects (even though I have had my fair share of complaints about certain elements of that). However, neighborhoods, freeways, and just people in general are more crowded. California has done a very successful job of controlling sprawl, as 90-95% of the state's population live on approximately 6% of the land. (That arguably has many advantages and disadvantages, for the people living in urban and less urban areas alike, and just holistically for California...) As the rare conservative urban planner myself, I, believe it or not, think that limiting sprawl has been and will continue to be an overall good thing for California, but that's for a whole other discussion...

That leaves places like the Central Valley, which you're interested in, still relatively uncrowded. Plus, in Bakersfield, you'd only be about three hours (give or take) from the Sierra, as well as national parks such as Kings Canyon, Death Valley, Sequoia and Yosemite. There are also some nice regional parks just over the Tehachapi Mountains in Los Angeles County (e.g.: Placerita Canyon, Vasquez Rocks, Antonovich) that would be great for weekend trips and which are still a good distance from downtown Los Angeles--even kind of quasi-rural. Politically, Bakersfield makes much more sense to me than the Bay Area, L.A., or even Sacramento; it's a libertarian/conservative bent, which alludes to people not caring much about gay marriage, but still wanting less "nanny statism" by the state. Kevin McCarthy is the U.S. Representative from Bakersfield/Kern County, and he was recently discussed in the news as a possible candidate for House Majority Leader, although Boehner has obviously been reelected to that post. Also, Orange County and San Diego are the only major California metropolitan areas left where a sizable proportion of people still feel the same way I do.

Smaller towns around Bakersfield worth possibly considering are Oildale, Arvin, Wasco, Shafter, and if you don't mind a bit of a drive from the mountains, the City of Tehachapi. I've only been in Bakersfield proper once, but I don't remember much of the city being too run down or trashy. I've seen far dirtier communities in my aforementioned coastal megalopolises. I remember the northern part of Bakersfield being a little nicer than the south side; however, as in most American cities, and I'm just speaking in generalities here, newer developments tend to be cleaner and safer. As for rush hour...you're coming from Atlanta, whose rush hour has become as bad as that of the Bay Area (though still not L.A.) in recent years. What do you have to worry about?!

Lastly, I think you'll find the cost of living in Bakersfield to be comparable with that of Atlanta. Atlanta's the most expensive city in the Deep South these days, but when you consider overall taxation, housing and utilities, the cities are probably about neck and neck overall. Food will probably be comparably priced, if not cheaper, in Bakersfield, because it is the southern tip of the vast Central Valley, which is without argument the biggest breadbasket in the West. Bakersfield is also great locationally: as cities go, it is about two hours (give or take) from L.A. and San Luis Obispo, three hours from O.C. and Santa Barbara, and 3.75-4.5 hours from each San Diego, Las Vegas, the Bay Area, and Sacramento. All figures are close estimates, depending on driving conditions resulting from heavy traffic and the rare rain, of course. And if you decide you don't like Bakersfield, then Sacramento, and other Central Valley cities like Visalia, Lemoore, Chico, Redding, Lodi, Merced, etc. that might be worth checking out, will always be there. (And yes, there's Fresno, Stockton and Modesto, too, but I think those cities get more scorn than many in California.)

Good luck.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 01-17-2015 at 11:58 PM..

Old 01-18-2015, 01:44 PM

56 posts, read 177,887 times
Thanks for your response EclecticEars! You made me think about it

Bakersfield gets less than 7" of rain per year, while Atlanta has been known to get 6" in a day! Sacramento gets ~18-19 inches and I was not bothered by the climate there at all. Denver gets the same as Sacramento, and I was parched in Denver, but not Sacramento. Go figure. Maybe the elevation contributed ? Tehachapi gets ~11 inches. Anyway, thanks, it was helpful to do a comparison.

I don't think the climate will be too bad if I can stay closer to the mountains which get a little more rain, are a little cooler, and a little less subject to the smog. On the other hand, the fog might be more treacherous in the mountains.

I think Oildale, Arvin, Wasco, Shafter are mostly in the valley itself, and I guess I just picture them flat, dusty, and barren. LOL. I suppose that might be a little inaccurate. They are all roughly 30 mins from Ming Ave area. Which leads me back to the question on rush hour. Bakersfield is not a small town by any stretch, and a 30 min drive could easily become an hour in most places. (I've traveled quite a bit as a consultant). I guess being in Atlanta has jaded me in regards to commuting where A 20 mile drive is over an hour. I'm so sick of traffic.

What about Caliente/Keene, Lamont areas?

Old 01-18-2015, 04:07 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,455,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabit15 View Post
Denver gets the same as Sacramento, and I was parched in Denver, but not Sacramento. Go figure. Maybe the elevation contributed ?
Yes, probably, but more likely just the location on the other side of a very high mountain range. By the time air masses make their way into Denver, they've been wrung out of most of their moisture through have to ascend the mountains (those are rain and snow hogs, via condensation).

The Chinook wind, when it comes, can also dry things out pretty well.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:48 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,747,982 times
Quote:
Thanks for your response EclecticEars! You made me think about it

Bakersfield gets less than 7" of rain per year, while Atlanta has been known to get 6" in a day! Sacramento gets ~18-19 inches and I was not bothered by the climate there at all. Denver gets the same as Sacramento, and I was parched in Denver, but not Sacramento. Go figure. Maybe the elevation contributed ? Tehachapi gets ~11 inches. Anyway, thanks, it was helpful to do a comparison.

I don't think the climate will be too bad if I can stay closer to the mountains which get a little more rain, are a little cooler, and a little less subject to the smog. On the other hand, the fog might be more treacherous in the mountains.

I think Oildale, Arvin, Wasco, Shafter are mostly in the valley itself, and I guess I just picture them flat, dusty, and barren. LOL. I suppose that might be a little inaccurate. They are all roughly 30 mins from Ming Ave area. Which leads me back to the question on rush hour. Bakersfield is not a small town by any stretch, and a 30 min drive could easily become an hour in most places. (I've traveled quite a bit as a consultant). I guess being in Atlanta has jaded me in regards to commuting where A 20 mile drive is over an hour. I'm so sick of traffic.

Tehachapi would put you in the mountains, and is really the only town of any size close to Bakersfield that offers that option.

As for Caliente, Keene, and Lamont, I honestly don't know.

And again, I wouldn't worry about traffic. I'd be surprised if 20 miles takes an hour in Bakersfield. Obviously, your likelihood of that would be much higher in L.A. County or the Bay Area.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:23 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,306,061 times
While I rather despise Bakersfield - I was "sentenced" there for three years due to my job - I would decidedly live there in the northwest area rather than any of the smaller towns, especially Oildale. Be aware that the air is pretty foul but as for traffic? Nobody lives there!

Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 PM

54 posts, read 95,418 times
Quote:

Lamont is on the valley floor. Caliente, well that translates as hot. Keene is high enough to be cooler and to get some snow in the winter. Keene is just a cafe/diner, fire station, post office and a few other commercial operations in an area with rural properties. Very scenic with oaks and pine as you climb up into the mountains on Highway 58. Keene would be a 30 minute drive into Bako. South of the highway from Keene is an area/subdivision called Hart Flat or Hart Oaks. Nice homes.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:49 AM

133 posts, read 273,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Tehachapi would put you in the mountains, and is really the only town of any size close to Bakersfield that offers that option.

As for Caliente, Keene, and Lamont, I honestly don't know.

And again, I wouldn't worry about traffic. I'd be surprised if 20 miles takes an hour in Bakersfield. Obviously, your likelihood of that would be much higher in L.A. County or the Bay Area.
I would not recommend Tehachapi, but that is just me and my standards.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:33 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,773,509 times
Bakersfield isn't as dry as the deserts over the mountains to the east of it. Trying to look at it half full here.

Climate is actually the least of Bakersfield's problems, most people would consider the climate to be an improvement (aside from the smog) over many places. I've never felt Bakersfield was particularly dry feeling, it certainly doesn't feel drier than Denver.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,203 times
Default Bako commute

I moved to Bakersfield 3 years ago from NY--a lot of it near NYC, later up near Canada.
1st: humidity. I've only visited Denver once, in September, so, I can't make a good comparison there. However, the very low humidity in Bako is mostly in the summer months, when it is also very hot. Think of the heat as not much different than the extreme cold or deep snow of Denver--plan, prepare, and don't venture far without the proper gear--eg, water bottles (or chains for the car). And have good air conditioning.
fyi, I think high heat and low humidity is far more tolerable than moderate heat and high humidity.

2nd: traffic. LOL! Rush hour lasts maybe 45min. There are some bottlenecks where you might have to wait through a second cycle of the traffic light. You can usually plan around them.

3rd: alternatives. There is nothing much closer than Tehachapi for similar climate. Similar distance to Tehachapi would be towns south on the 5 (I-5) such as Gorman or Lebec. Or, a little further, Lake Isabella. All small towns. Not much there. Though, you do get snow most years. There's more around Ming Ave in Bako. And snow about every 30 years or so.

Gardening in Bako consists mostly of plant, water, and stand back. Heat can be a problem. Frost, not so much.
My choice was to live closer to work and not waste time commuting, but instead spend days off going elsewhere. That said, I expect to leave eventually because of the crummy air. I have to keep an eye on AirNow.gov for pollution levels. I just like the higher pay and lower housing costs too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California