Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:26 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times

Advertisements

After years of legal wrangling, California Superior Court Judge Gilbert Ochoa has ruled that the state cannot undermine federal law by banning the use of gold suction dredges. Public Lands for the People (www.plp1.org) has applauded the federal preemption ruling which was handed down Monday, Jan. 12.

Gold miners win on federal preemption ruling

With all the land grabbing that has been going on by the Fed (USFS especially) some common sense has returned in favor of the miners. After nearly 8 years of California banning/limiting mechanical dredging, based on mostly bogus ideological research submitted by tribes and tree huggers, the Court held that a state ban forbidding all commercially beneficial use of a federal mining claim is preempted by federal mining law.

Court of Appeal deals a blow to the state's ban on suction dredge mining - PLF Liberty Blog

I commend Judge Ochoa for bringing back some sanity to an otherwise insane world.

Why am I so happy?
Small commercial dredging is actually beneficial to our streams and rivers. These small operations accounted for removing thousands of tons of metals (lead, iron, mercury...etc.) from our water systems each year. Dredging actually churns up the the river beds, creating a food environment for fish and the wildlife who eat them, including man.

Done properly, dredging in beneficial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 12:31 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Common sense? What's that?

Old 01-18-2015, 01:17 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

With all the land grabbing that has been going on by the Fed (USFS especially) some common sense has returned in favor of the miners. After nearly 8 years of California banning/limiting mechanical dredging, based on mostly bogus ideological research submitted by tribes and tree huggers, the Court held that a state ban forbidding all commercially beneficial use of a federal mining claim is preempted by federal mining law.

Feds land grabbing? Who do think owned the land before it was given away to homesteaders?

The national forests were established over 100 years ago from.......

....land owned by the Federal Government!

Old 01-18-2015, 03:00 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
After years of legal wrangling, California Superior Court Judge Gilbert Ochoa has ruled that the state cannot undermine federal law by banning the use of gold suction dredges. Public Lands for the People (www.plp1.org) has applauded the federal preemption ruling which was handed down Monday, Jan. 12.

Gold miners win on federal preemption ruling

Court of Appeal deals a blow to the state's ban on suction dredge mining - PLF Liberty Blog

I commend Judge Ochoa for bringing back some sanity to an otherwise insane world.

Why am I so happy?
Small commercial dredging is actually beneficial to our streams and rivers. These small operations accounted for removing thousands of tons of metals (lead, iron, mercury...etc.) from our water systems each year. Dredging actually churns up the the river beds, creating a food environment for fish and the wildlife who eat them, including man.

Done properly, dredging in beneficial.
They do dredging in Colombia's rivers?

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe that's how they hide the drugs in CALI.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:05 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Suction dredgers make a mess of our streams and rivers. That's why they were banned. Impacts of suction dredging on rivers, fish and aquatic communities — Rogue Riverkeeper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouvEZC0Sf6I

I like gold as well as the next guy but I don't like the destruction miners leave behind.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:25 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Common sense? What's that?
Cali? What's that?

Old 01-19-2015, 02:51 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Wow! I've referred to California as Cali all my life! I was born here and have lived here all of my life. I never thought people would be so ridiculously petty. Maybe it's a surfer thing, huh?

As for this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Feds land grabbing? Who do think owned the land before it was given away to homesteaders?

The national forests were established over 100 years ago from.......

....land owned by the Federal Government!
You should look up the Antiquities Act and get a clue.

Hesperia Lawmaker To Protest San Gabriel Mountains ‘Land Grab’ « CBS Los Angeles

They're trying to take another 600,000 acres, that ARE NOT FEDERAL LAND!!!

Millions of acres have been stolen from the states over the last 100 years, and most of it in the last 30 years!

Federal Land Grab: Feds steal 3 Million Acres of Nevada Land; Close it to Public Use
FEDS STEAL ANOTHER HALF-MILLION ACRES OF LAND IN NEW MEXICO! |
Feds stole state lands of the West

Why is it the richest lands they are locking ?

Why do you pretend to have clue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Suction dredgers make a mess of our streams and rivers. That's why they were banned. Impacts of suction dredging on rivers, fish and aquatic communities — Rogue Riverkeeper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouvEZC0Sf6I

I like gold as well as the next guy but I don't like the destruction miners leave behind.
If you base your conclusion on a blog from a dot org then you're not doing due diligence, right? As I made clear "
Done properly, dredging is beneficial" and small American operations are 99.9% environmental friendly.

You should do a little research and get to the truth before making such an irrational statement.

Life member GPAA and LDMA

Old 01-20-2015, 01:58 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,354 times
Common sense = agreeing with you.

Too bad the hydraulic mining common at Malakoff Diggings, etc. was outlawed. I am sure that if miners were convinced they weren't benefiting the lakes and streams, and were in any way affecting drinking water, etc., they would stop. When miners and other businesses ran California liked they wanted, in the 1900s, everything was just fine, with much less pollution in our air and water. No arsenic, etc. dumped in our water and soil.

When people toss out numbers like 99.9%, I know it's not based on actual statistical research. Hyperbole doesn't make one sound credible. You got the 99.9% figure where? "Most" wasn't strong enough?

Old 01-20-2015, 10:50 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Common Sense will come back to Cali when we scrap the bullet train, build desalination plants, and save Salton Sea!

Old 01-21-2015, 01:17 PM

807 posts, read 898,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Common Sense will come back to Cali when we scrap the bullet train, build desalination plants, and save Salton Sea!
I don't have a very complete picture of the recent history and sentiments surrounding the Salton Sea. Wasn't it simply accidentally created by an engineering project gone wrong?

Unless "saving" the sea means letting it dry up and return to nature, which it doesn't really sound like it does, choosing the restore point as being the time right after its accidental creation is quite arbitrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California