Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 06:34 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

The middle class may be fleeing in droves - but the big trees are fleeing in groves. And not for reasons you might guess easily:
California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 06:37 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
No mention that the redwoods are going anywhere.

Yet.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:44 PM

No mention in that article. But I have read others than indicate the redwoods are also suffering loss of liquid refreshment with the reduction of coastal fog due to climate change. Maybe I'll dig up the dope on that and post later.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:53 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
The redwoods up here in the redwood empire are doing just fine. I myself am doing my best by starting cuttings and currently have 7 that are between four and six feet tall and another 12 that are around two feet tall. There are many of them around here up north, some quite large and the last time I was in Oakland, Berkeley and Santa Cruz the redwoods seemed to being doing well. What observations do you have that they are not doing well?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
The redwoods up here in the redwood empire are doing just fine. I myself am doing my best by starting cuttings and currently have 7 that are between four and six feet tall and another 12 that are around two feet tall. There are many of them around here up north, some quite large and the last time I was in Oakland, Berkeley and Santa Cruz the redwoods seemed to being doing well. What observations do you have that they are not doing well?
I hope your experience and observations are correct. I have no expertise to claim otherwise. I recalled reading about some challenges. So I just Googled a bit. Seems a mixed set of theories at work. Here's some examples:
Clearing and Present Danger? Fog That Nourishes California Redwoods Is Declining - Scientific American

Fog decrease harming California redwoods

On the other hand there's this:
Global warming may be helping redwoods and sequoias grow, new study shows - San Jose Mercury News

It would seem, comparing the articles, that the redwoods are doing really well, as you say. But there is a very measurable reduction in coastal fog in recent decades that studies suggest will have deleterious effects in the future.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
I've lost 5 of the 12 I planted in 2010.

To be fair... the deer took a toll too.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:44 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
We have a redwood tree that's about 50 feet tall in our front yard. The original owner of the house got it as a seedling from the California State Fair the year after the house was built in 1955.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've lost 5 of the 12 I planted in 2010.

To be fair... the deer took a toll too.
Venison is great. Good healthy, lean red meat. Just sayin'.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:53 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
I was curious about that, too. What are the indications that a tree's health is in trouble? A few months back, there was a news report on how the drought in California was affecting our trees. It was on local news so I don't have a link but I did find this one. It has a pretty good explanation about the effect lack of water and climate change has on a tree.

Interestingly, there is a test done to measure the stress level a tree might be going through which could affect its health.

A snippet from the article:

Quote:
To determine whether the redwoods are under stress, the scientists took clippings from the tops of the trees and placed them in a pressure chamber to determine their moisture levels. The more pressure needed to draw water from the clipping, the thirstier the tree.
First, I didn't know how trees were tested and found this pretty interesting. Second, the results weren't encouraging.

Researchers Probe Drought Impacts on the Redwoods | Save the Redwoods League

Old 01-19-2015, 08:23 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I was curious about that, too. What are the indications that a tree's health is in trouble? A few months back, there was a news report on how the drought in California was affecting our trees. It was on local news so I don't have a link but I did find this one. It has a pretty good explanation about the effect lack of water and climate change has on a tree.

Interestingly, there is a test done to measure the stress level a tree might be going through which could affect its health.

A snippet from the article:

First, I didn't know how trees were tested and found this pretty interesting. Second, the results weren't encouraging.

Researchers Probe Drought Impacts on the Redwoods | Save the Redwoods League
From my experience as both a gardener and hiker both in the Oakland hills and up here is that when there is an extreme drought, the redwoods go through a partial drop of their leaves, it happened here last summer for the first time, but I used to see it often in the bay area. It is true that the stress of drought can make the redwoods prone to the sudden oak death syndrome. The redwoods have been around since the days of the dinosaurs, used to cover a significant portion of Western north America. But the latest studies show that this past century has seen phenomenal growth in the trees that has not been seen in several thousand years, most of it due to the warming of the climate and an increase in carbon dioxide. This change in climate with the fog disappearing from central coastal California may spell the end for the redwood as a reproducing species in that area and force it northward, as it has done with many bird species.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California