Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 12:35 PM

10 posts, read 16,805 times

Advertisements

Hi All, just need a little advice.

so im sort of already posted this message in another part of the forum, but asking for information on Lemoore. I had a lot of replies but have since found out that its not Lemoore we re moving to its Edwards AFB base.

We are from Northwest of the UK, and neither of us have been over to CA before, Everything is new to us. We are gewtitng married in August therfore i can come over to the US with him when he moves, in October.

Could anybody give us any information on any of the below: All help me be massively appreciated.

* If i am able to get a working visa. how likely/easy will i be able to get a job myself in the US, or will i struggle being from the UK?

* Any UK military wives on here already done this move or something similar?

* Any military or ex-military who can give me some information about the actual base its self. (what is has on base, ameneties etc.)

* Information on military housing? are these on the actual base or outside the base?

* cost of living, is it expensive?

* i will have to get health insurance, any help with that!!?

* I know the base is in the desert but how far drive to the local towns. also are the most locasl towns Lancaster and Palmsdale?

* What is the local airport to Edwards AFB?

this is all completely new to me and i know nothing about the place, so anyhelp would be amazing.
if anybody could send me some pictures about any of the areas or questions i have asked that would be amazing as google isnt the best!

i appreciate all your help and thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 03:23 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsoke View Post
* I know the base is in the desert but how far drive to the local towns. also are the most local towns Lancaster and Palmsdale?
Rosemond is the closest town to Edwards. Not much there, just the basics. Drive to Lancaster is only about 10-15 minutes once you get off the base and onto the freeway. Abundant shopping and services in Lancaster. Palmdale is the next city south. They pretty much bump up against each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsoke View Post
* What is the local airport to Edwards AFB?
Commercial - international flights? LAX. About an hour and a half, if no traffic. Much more if traffic is heavy.

Closer is BUR (Burbank). Not as many flights and not sure if any are international. A little bit more expensive than LAX.

- - -

COL is a bit high. This is California. Much less than coastal towns, but still relatively high. Personally, if I didn't have base housing, I'd live in Tehachapi.

I live in west Palmdale and work "down below" (in the Los Angeles basin).

Old 01-20-2015, 06:58 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,821,735 times
Hi Wilsoke:
Here's a link to the Edwards AFB website Edwards Air Force Base - Home
I encourage you to contact them directly specifically regarding on base housing and your status as the spouse of a UK military member. I doubt you are the first in this situation so they should be able to answer your questions about whether or not you are work eligible while you are in the US.
Again, good luck and enjoy your stay!

Old 01-21-2015, 04:17 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
West Palmdale (93551 zip code) is pretty good. It has decent schools and puts you close to the A.V. mall and tons of other shopping venues.

What's your budget and what kind of housing/amenities are you looking for?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,033 times
hello,

my wife and i are also PSCing to edwards in the middle of march. Its just my wife and i and our dog. Any tips on where to live other than cal city and rosamond? Ive heard some stuff about lancaster and palmdale but heard it can be bad in places.
Any information is helpful!!

thank you

Old 02-05-2015, 03:18 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
If you want to live in Lancaster, live in the 93536 zip code.

If you want to live in Palmdale, live in the 93551 zip code.

Both are generally good. Both are west of the 14 freeway. In general, lots of working professionals and career-minded people live in those areas (doctors, lawyers, judges, teachers, nurses, cops, active military, retired military, aerospace workers and retirees). East of the freeway tends to become a little more working-class and less desirable.

Palmdale is typical Southern California suburbia. It's got a nice mall (Dillard's, Macy's, Sears, JC Penney) and lots of chain stores and restaurants. Quartz Hill and Rancho Vista are communities within the west sides of both cities. Acton is a semi-rural community to the south of Palmdale with several beautiful ranch homes and horse properties. Leona Valley, west of Palmdale, is the same.

If you want a quiet, more rural setting, I'd suggest Tehachapi in Kern County, but it's very isolated and lacks quite a few amenities.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:42 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
If you want to live in Lancaster, live in the 93536 zip code.

If you want to live in Palmdale, live in the 93551 zip code.

...Quartz Hill and Rancho Vista are communities within the west sides of both cities....

If you want a quiet, more rural setting, I'd suggest Tehachapi in Kern County, but it's very isolated and lacks quite a few amenities.
Just one minor correction, kktam186290. Quartz Hill is an unincorporated community of Los Angeles county and is not part of either Palmdale or Lancaster, (for government purposes). They do use the Los Angeles County Sheriff department for peacekeeping, as does the other cities of the Antelope Valley.

Rancho Vista is part of Palmdale. That's were I live. Nice neighborhoods. Newer homes. Fully integrated. Very safe. You can wander the street at any hour of the day or night in complete safety.

I'd also like to re-affirm what several others have said . . . you'll want to be on the west side of the freeway!

Old 02-07-2015, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,033 times
Thank you for the help!

also, what are the best cell phone/ internet/ tv providers in lancaster & palmdale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California