Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 08:22 AM

147 posts, read 217,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post

53,000 square feet? You would have to hire an army of maids to help keep that place clean. But if you have that kind of money to buy the house in the first place.....

I would just get a 5-7000 square foot house somewhere in la jolla. Would be plenty for my family and I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 02:01 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
it might help if someone posted stats on how the water temperatures on the southern California beaches compare to the water temps in the Northern California beaches.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:11 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
it might help if someone posted stats on how the water temperatures on the southern California beaches compare to the water temps in the Northern California beaches.
Help what?

Old 01-25-2015, 02:25 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Help what?
Exactly, that's a made up requirement of 'one' person (not the original poster) who thinks Santa Barbara is too cold. I say great! Let all the fair weather water wimps stay in SoCal or better yet move to FL or HI where they belong. As for millions of other residents in Central and Northern Cal we enjoy the beaches year round including the water.

Derek

Old 01-25-2015, 02:47 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
We've had this conversation before. The general consensus is that San Diego and LA have warmer water that allows people to enjoy swimming. Most people consider the water in NorCal to be too cold for any waterplay without a wetsuit. Some of us don't let cold water stop us. But whether or not Santa Barbara specifically is in some cold pocket, we don't know. Besides, I thought the complaint was in relation to weather, not water.

Meh. On a hot day, cold water is fabulous!

Besides, it's all radioactive at this point, anyway, so the question should probably be irrelevant.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:50 PM

56 posts, read 61,498 times
interesting conversation to say the least. my great grandfather was chums with randolph hearst and we would visit the castle often so i vote san simeon!

Old 01-25-2015, 05:56 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Exactly, that's a made up requirement of 'one' person (not the original poster) who thinks Santa Barbara is too cold. I say great! Let all the fair weather water wimps stay in SoCal or better yet move to FL or HI where they belong. As for millions of other residents in Central and Northern Cal we enjoy the beaches year round including the water.

Derek
Judging by how empty most beaches in Northern CA beaches are and how few people are in the water, doesn't really seem like "millions" of people are enjoying them especially the water.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:58 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
About 10 up to 20 degrees colder in summer overall.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:49 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Judging by how empty most beaches in Northern CA beaches are and how few people are in the water, doesn't really seem like "millions" of people are enjoying them especially the water.
Most southern California folks have a tremendous lack of knowledge of the beaches of Central and Northern California. So much so its actually kinda funny. In addition the majority way over estimate how 'cold' it is above LA. I know this from first hand experience growing up in SoCal then moving north. There's this idea about the water being 'freezing' cold along with the beaches which remain empty. That's a big fallacy with the most popular beaches and surf spots. Santa Cruz for example is know as Surf City for a reason. There are literally thousands of people surfing those beaches daily 'year round.' And the beaches are not empty.

Here is an example of a warm Winter day at the beach today in Monterey. 80 degrees and packed with people enjoying the sun and water.

I guess some fair weather SoCaler forgot to tell them the ocean is just too cold to enjoy and they should instead be wrapped in their blankets while shivering uncontrollably. lol

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-25-2015 at 07:27 PM..

Old 01-25-2015, 06:52 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
About 10 up to 20 degrees colder in summer overall.
It is always amazing to me how strange Californians actually are. It is, on a number of dimensions, the best place in the US to live. And maybe in the Industrial world.

The bad news is that it can be difficult if you don't have a suitable income.

I did the beaches of So CA for many years. Home was Seal Beach, boat was in Alamitos Bay and I learned to wind sail in Alamitos Bay. Actually got married there at the Long Beach Yacht Club.

If you want to live on or near the water you want to get as far south as possible and the budget allows. San Diego is great...and some of the bays are actually habitable from spring to fall. But don't kid yourself...it is wet suit country. Maybe near Mission Bay in September you can do it without a cover..but that is about it.

So if you really want beach...south. And, in the winter, south of Cabo san Lucas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California