Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 01:12 PM

4 posts, read 18,266 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move to Los Osos (from the Seattle WA area), and wonder if any locals can answer a few questions. We're not too worried about resolution of the sewer issues, but are concerned about wind and fog.

We've heard that winds through the Los Osos Valley can be difficult to live with. How bad is the wind (say, around LOVR and Clark Valley Rd)? Is this a daily phenomenon throughout the year? What direction and speed is prevalent?

How often is fog an issue in this same area? Any information and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 04:30 PM

110 posts, read 780,388 times
My daughter rented in Los Osos for a while. Each time I was there it was overcast and slightly foggy. I don't remember it being socked in foggy but the weather was always around 60 degrees. It can get windy there, but nothing to worry about. If you're not worried about the sewer problem, then you will have no problem there.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 22,435 times
how far is San Luis Obispo County from VAFB?

Old 07-08-2007, 07:55 PM

I'd say its about 55 - 60 miles

how far is San Luis Obispo County from VAFB?[/quote]

Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 PM

Susie4 - Thank you very much for your response. This is helpful.

I wonder if the summer fog usually burns off toward the afternoon, especially inland from the bay (east of Clark Valley Rd)? In any case, I think I would prefer the coolness to living in the summer heat NE of San Luis Obispo!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:11 PM

By noon time, the fog is usually gone. The temp still stays around 60 degrees. Alot of people will run around with shorts and a sweat shirt even during the winter months. You get used to the weather. The weather is great here actually.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:39 PM

47 posts, read 139,982 times
Ca dreamin, Hi!
We lived in Los Osos for 8 yrs, its absoloutly charming, good place to raise a family and believe it or not the 'sewer' has been an 'issue' since the time we were there 9 yrs ago
the wind is not anywhere near a nuisance as it is in Lompoc!
I'd steer clear of the Atascadero, Paso Robles and Templeton area's waaay to hot

I loved L.O. the time we lived there

Old 07-10-2007, 11:11 PM

insearchof - Thank you so much for sharing your perspective. We are hoping it will be a good change for our children and it seems like the schools are pretty good in Los Osos. Its nice to hear that you were not too bothered by wind there.

We had considered the Santa Margarita area, but suffering this heat wave has changed our minds... Even 80 degrees is too hot for me!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:29 AM

199 posts, read 1,132,879 times
The winds pick up every afternoon. It's not so bad in Los Osos. I used to live in SLO off LO Valley Road and that area is like a wind tunnel in the afternoons. The wind comes off the ocean and spreads the marine layer. It was very cool to see the clouds move in like that. Some don't like it, but I did. It made that area of SLO cooler than the rest of the city.

If I recall correctly, June is very overcast. I think there may be some winter months that are actually sunnier. Most of the time, the clouds leave by noon.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:40 PM

stellar9 - This is reassuring. Thank you for your post.

I could sure use some of that nice cool ocean air right now... we are sweating out temps up to 105 in Washington!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California