Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 11:17 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

You're going out into an isolated location, to work in someone's home? Do you or your counselor know anything about this family, or whoever you're going to be working for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Everybody's scaring you off, but I think you should go for it. There are enough clues to ascertain that you are fairly young. This would be a great experience. Do it for a couple of years, then come back to civilization with stories that most of us can not even dream up. A nice thing about the isolation is that you'll be able to save most of your money. If you are an outdoors type of person or if you enjoy nature photography, you'll not lack for something to do. Do it! It will be a unique, unusual experience that you will remember for your whole life. Something to tell the grandkids about.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:52 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinings92 View Post
I may have gotten a job offering in Death Valley California but I haven't filled out the application for it yet. I have never been there before. I want to know what's out there. I have only been to south of LA San Diego, Escondido and TJ area. What are the closet grocery stores, mall or clothing store, Gyms, near death valley. I have had trouble looking online on Google. I'm only finding hotels, couple restaurants and a ranch store.The job offers housing and meals But if I'm working and I can't get anywhere Its going to drive me crazy. I have my permit but I don't have a licenses yet. Is there city buses there or greyhound that I could possibly take if no city bus until I'm able to get my license.

Not that it matters all that much to your question, but where will you be working? Simply saying 'Death Valley' doesn't tell us much, because Death Valley National Park is larger than the state of Connecticut.

Furnace Creek? (the main administrative and commercial - snort - headquarters of the park)
Stovepipe Wells? (there's a hotel/restaurant/gift shop here)
Panamint Springs (a resort just outside the western boundary of the park)
Death Valley Junction? (a store and a few dwellings outside the eastern boundary of the park)

If you mean Furnace Creek - that seems most likely - the nearest city with any real array of services would be Pahrump in Nevada. It's over an hour away and contains about what you'd expect from an isolated two of 35,000 people.

If you love the stark beauty of the desert, you'll find it in abundance. If you like hiking, I highly recommend Michel Digonnet's two exhaustive books on hiking in the park (I'm sure the visitor center at Furnace Creek, which is top-notch, sells them). And remember, even in July you can find comfortable temperatures in the higher elevations of the park (the Panamint Range, which runs along the SW border of the park, tops out at over 11,000 feet).

Old 01-30-2015, 11:13 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Isn't Beatty closer?

Old 01-30-2015, 11:30 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
well there got to be a greyhound stop.
There isn't. The nearest stop is in Las Vegas, which is 123 miles from Furnace Creek.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:33 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Yeah, hanging out at the mall and going to the gym aren't things you'll be doing in Death Valley, OP. It sounds like you need to get more info from your job counselor.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:40 PM

13 posts, read 17,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're going out into an isolated location, to work in someone's home? Do you or your counselor know anything about this family, or whoever you're going to be working for?
its not someone's homes it is a resorts. I would be living in a dormitory with a roommate.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Everybody's scaring you off, but I think you should go for it. There are enough clues to ascertain that you are fairly young. This would be a great experience. Do it for a couple of years, then come back to civilization with stories that most of us can not even dream up. A nice thing about the isolation is that you'll be able to save most of your money. If you are an outdoors type of person or if you enjoy nature photography, you'll not lack for something to do. Do it! It will be a unique, unusual experience that you will remember for your whole life. Something to tell the grandkids about.
Thank you for your support

Old 01-30-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, hanging out at the mall and going to the gym aren't things you'll be doing in Death Valley, OP. It sounds like you need to get more info from your job counselor.
No .I normally don't go to the mall. I just like getting out once in a while.at least one a month to do daily shopping. The job is at a resorts similar to a hotel wear I would be cleaning rooms. And I got a lot more info from her. I've already filled out the application and sent in my resume. So hopefully I will hear from then. My grandmother lives 4 and half hours away from there so If something bad happen I can just call her to come pick me up but I know I will be fine.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:48 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
its not someone's homes it is a resorts. I would be living in a dormitory with a roommate.
The company that runs Furnace Creek hires young people from all over to work there during the busy months (their nametags say where they're from, at least the ones who wait tables at the restaurant there). It could be a great experience for you - as long as you can figure out a way to get out of DV once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California