U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 12:34 PM

29 posts, read 19,029 times

Advertisements

PS We love Bend, but are also turned off by the winter weather! If you like Bend, San Luis Obispo might be a good fit for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 04:12 PM

72,716 posts, read 64,203,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Morro Bay area.
Morro Bay is nice, and not as pricey as other areas.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:16 PM

72,716 posts, read 64,203,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Thinking in terms of a compromise...

Crescent City would work. Never too hot, never too cold. More rain than other parts of CA, but it doesn't rain all the time. Probably your cheapest CA coast option. I find the people friendly. And Brookings, OR is close enough to do tax-free shopping there.

Or, you may want to even consider just moving to Brookings. It's a nice town, nicer than Crescent City, and is also mild year round. They even get warmer summers because of the eastern winds they get, called the Brookings effect.

You could probably afford Shelter Cove, but it's really remote and I personally, don't like it. It's too small and there aren't beaches that you can really walk on - not like beaches you normally think of.

Either Brookings or Crescent City would also put you really close to the giant redwood forests. I take my dog at least a couple times a week to the redwood forest - and it's just 7 miles away.

This area may be your best compromise. And really, except for the big storm in December and the one we're having now, I've been surprised at how many sunny days we have here.

I lived in western WA and in the mountains (western side) from outside of Vancouver, WA all the way up to Sumas on the Canadian border, including living in Seattle and Bellingham and in Snohomish area. This area has the beauty, without the constant gray or ice and snow.

You don't need to get that far south to find a good compromise. IMO.

Oh, and it's affordable.
There's something to be said for the north coast. It depends on what you're looking for, OP. The lure of the redwoods can be overpowering, to some. In southernmost Oregon you also find redwoods, but only in the far southwest. There's also something to be said for a coastal area that has a reliable water supply these days. I think some of the other locations farther south that were recommended are more vibrant communities, but it all depends on your priorities.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:31 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,079,892 times
OP has never responded. I think this one is dead folks.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:27 AM

15,069 posts, read 17,040,844 times
You might fall in love with Ferndale, along the Eel River...

Old 03-20-2016, 12:33 AM

136 posts, read 273,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeceebeach View Post
Try Cambria, Cayucos, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, Los Osos, Arroyo Grande, Goleta, San Luis Obispo

All great, depending on your personal preferences! We're still deciding but are leaning toward Arroyo Grande
Just be advised the volume of traffic on the 101 from Arroyo Grande to San Luis Obispo is ridiculous, even on the non rush hour times. Road needs to be widened to 3 lanes each way but Caltrans claims they have no money (what a shock), and that it would not be in the planning stage for at least 10 years. Almost every day, there is an accident or 2 which closes one or both lanes and backs up traffic for miles. I've been here 9 years and I'm shocked at the huge increase in traffic on the 101. I hope gas prices go back up to $4.00 or more a gallon, then that will cut down on the huge amount of traffic. The area was peaceful back then.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:51 AM

327 posts, read 514,285 times
Quote:
OP has never responded. I think this one is dead folks.
Well, it is a topic I am interested in anyway, so I hope people will post.

Rather than starting a new thread I will just ask here.

What are the least expensive places in California that are on or near the coast?

Old 03-20-2016, 11:12 AM

4,997 posts, read 13,544,723 times
Quote:
Morro Bay area.
That is actually the best place in California that is on the coast. Homes are expensive, and I don't like that they have tiny yards, but hey, they have the ocean, and the town is adorable.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:25 PM

2,235 posts, read 2,264,912 times
I've always wondered why people will spend $700,000 to retire along the coast when they could move 2 hours inland and buy twice as much house for $200,000. If a person is retired, why not drive to the coast during the week and stay somewhere when the rates are low? Go for 3 or 4 days to walk on the beach, eat out, and just relax. To be honest, there are times when the central coast is pretty depressing. Once we were having a later breakfast al fresco. The sun appeared for the first time in several days and the patrons began to applaude. I'm not real sure I'd want to live with the humidity and the mold.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:21 PM

524 posts, read 397,069 times
The Pismo Beach/Five Cities area has a large retiree community. You may want to check out that section of the central coast from Avila Beach in the north to Arroyo Grande in the south. Also mentioned was Morro Bay. Other nice central coast towns include Cayucos, Cambria and San Simeon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California