U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2008, 02:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,282 times

Advertisements

Hi there
We are moving from New Zealand to the San Francisco area in April of this year. We have three children (aged 4,2 and newborn) and would love a recommendation on where to live that is family friendly/good schools etc, not in the city. We would like to be in an area near the water within one hours drive of SFO and Oakland airport. We would look to rent office space for 20 to 30 people and within biking distance of our new home. We are looking to rent a 3 to 4 bedroom family home with a garden up to approx 3k/month.
Thanks for your help in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 02:20 AM

433 posts, read 1,643,639 times
Post this message (if you haven't) on the San Francisco board. You should get some help there.

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,243 times
We moved from New Zealand in November 2006. We have an 11yr old son and now a 4 month old baby. We found everything we needed searching greatschools.net for suitable schools, craigslist craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events for accomodation, and Berkley Parents Network Berkeley Parents Network: for parental advice and of course google maps. The school area was the primary deciding factor on where to live.

After taking advice from a friend who had lived in Oakland on the Berkeley border, we considered 3 cities: Berkeley, Albany and Alemeda. My husband came a month earlier in October and was able to scout all the places I suggested, so by the time I arrived with our son nearly everything was sorted.

We now live in Albany which is right next to Berkeley. All the schools from elementary up to the high school are very well rated. Plus it's a relatively short commute to Emeryville where my husband works. It's very much like a city in NZ so we adapted very quickly. Cons: very high rental, small houses, ants(!) Pros: great community, close to Berkeley campus, freeway, SF, both airports within an hours drive on a bad day, 10 minutes from the Berkeley and Albany marinas and Albany beach. When you get here subscribe to Berkeley Parents Network for fortnightly posts on all sorts of useful things. Sorry, I don't have much information about leasing commercial property here. Let me know if you want to know more. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:59 AM

4,134 posts, read 2,790,080 times
Short answer... Alameda

Great schools, small coastal town atmosphere, it's an island so water is on all sides. Very low crime. About 5 minutes from the Oakland airport and SF is within an hour depending on traffic and easily accessible using public transit.

It's kind of pricey but you should be able to find something in your price range and in a good neighborhood. The worst parts of Alameda are nicer than a lot of other cities' nicer areas so pretty much all the neighborhoods are good. Be forewarned, the police do enforce traffic laws. If you really want a speeding ticket, speed in Alameda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California