Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:29 PM

3,843 posts, read 4,502,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
OP,

I'm also from NYC (Manhattan) and I agree with others who say that you should rent for a year in SoCal before buying a home.

No, you won't find what the Beach Boys sang about because this is a new day. Frankly, I seriously doubt that the fantasy ever existed. What's more, the reality of life in SoCal is not like TV or the movies. C'mon.

Still, with your budget, you can enjoy warm weather in a beach-close community. Check-out South Orange County* if you are looking for a combination of the following: Beach-close, family-friendly, hiking and biking trails, and a very safe community with good schools for <1 MIL.

South County: Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Beach (very expensive), Laguna Hills, Rancho Santa Margarita, Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, Ladera Ranch, Dana Point, San Clemente and San Juan Capistrano.
This!

South Orange County is very nice, safe and family oriented for the most part.
Even though hubby and I (who don't make a ton of money) live in a 1 bedroom older apartment, we're here because we love the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 01:33 PM

246 posts, read 420,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
This!

South Orange County is very nice, safe and family oriented for the most part.
Even though hubby and I (who don't make a ton of money) live in a 1 bedroom older apartment, we're here because we love the area.
I will have to third this!! South Orange county quite frankly offers some of the best living anywhere in the United States.

For what you are looking for, it most closely matches the ideal living you are seeking.

Safe, clean, good schools, amazing amenities for all ages, perfect weather, friendly people.

South OC is a great place to live!

Old 02-12-2015, 08:32 PM

8,195 posts, read 16,615,692 times
I would agree with South OC or some of the places mentioned by the OP.

The South Bay is actually very nice (Hermosa, Redondo, Torrance) as well though pricey. The best happy medium there for families is Torrance, great schools, beautiful beaches and very centrally located.

Check these out:

REALTOR.com - Real estate listings & homes for sale

Torrance Beach:

Old 02-12-2015, 09:23 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,726,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
First off, MS13 isn't Mexican.

Second, real life isn't TV.

Third, the riots were 20+ years ago.

Fourth, my uncle was homeless at the beach in the 80's.

You will see gang graffiti most everywhere that isn't a planned subdivision. The $1M+ ones won't have graffiti. She'll be able to walk the dogs. The schools will have drugs, every single one of them.
Took the words right out of my mouth. My small school of 800 students even had drugs. Once the LA and Bay Area families moved around the state with their culture, it's hard to escape.

I second Ventura and Oxnard beaches if you want old school So Cal at an affordable rate. I'd also recommend Carlsbad, Escondido, and Encinitas, but it may cost you like $1mill to $1.5mill for a town home near the beach.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:23 PM

5 posts, read 4,046 times
I was going to say Agoura Hills as well. In any case, the stuff on tv still exists, you just have to be rich af to afford it - palos verdes estates, malibu, montecito, newport, laguna, san clemente, and especially del mar, la jolla and that area. You can easily find a suitable three bedroom for $1 million, in PV, in Hermosa, and actually a lot of places. Yeah there are some homeless people but so what.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:25 PM

5 posts, read 4,046 times
And I'm reading posts about graffiti being everywhere - idk where the **** these people live but that isn't true. Oh right, beverly hills, bel air, brentwood, the palisades, malibu - all just covered in graffiti! Santa monica? Graffiti. Westwood? Graffiti. Get off your computer and walk outside that's so ****in stupid.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:49 PM

37,084 posts, read 42,062,039 times
You should take a couple trips to CA and check out different areas. If you are in a place to make a move like this you are in a place for a couple vacations to see if it's even realistic or if anything you could afford meets your expectations. It won't be hard. Start with the greatschools site and work your way down.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:11 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,467,669 times
I wonder if the OP was scared away.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:13 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,467,669 times
Oh yeah, went to the NorCal thread.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:08 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,654,882 times
He also stopped by the SD Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California