Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:23 PM

230 posts, read 597,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
So the bottom line is while poor folks are leaving the state faster, the rich ARE leaving. Just because its at a slower rate then the poor is irrelevant. The tax & business enviroment is driving out the rich.
Indeed. And the fact that so much of the tax burden has been shifted to the rich means that CA can't really afford to lose any of them. You can't gouge your tax base and expect to keep it.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:25 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,692,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lajollaeleven View Post
Move to Arkansas. You don't even have to have an inspection sticker on your car. There is no pollution or smog, and nobody cares a lick about Global Warming.
O.K. - then how about all the people in california who don't give a s*** about the land, the environment, natural resources, etc., etc., etc.. and who are basically selfish, spoiled, entitled, arrogant, and care more about their own comfort and security and pocket book and who believe that global warming is a myth and who don't have any notion of the next 7 generations ... how 'bout all of them leave california (us "tree huggers" would be glad to see them go!) and move to arkansas?
I'm not at all crazy about government control but it wouldn't be so absolutely friggin necessary (in this global state of emergency - and if you don't see it you are in one big state of denial!) if people were awake, tuned into what's happening, were disciplined, were conscious and cared as much about everyone else as they do about themselves.
There are too many unconscious people in the world (who can't control themselves enough to stop bringing more of 'em here) ... maybe they should all move to arkansas and you can all stick your heads in the sand and pretend that the human race and the earth is not in serious trouble.
It's not only the ineffective government that's hurt california .... it's the people i described above.
Freedom is great but it doesn't really work without a caring heart and an open mind.
This country ... this messed up culture ... doesn't deserve that kind of freedom until the idiots out there (yeah, the masses) transform into real human beings.
That's my little rant .... havin a bad day.
p.s. ... when your relatively unpopulated state of AK becomes overwhelmed with goobers of the variety that are here in CA (they're everywhere actually), then you might feel differently about what's happening elsewhere.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 07-10-2009 at 09:19 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 08:49 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,951,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
Indeed. And the fact that so much of the tax burden has been shifted to the rich means that CA can't really afford to lose any of them. You can't gouge your tax base and expect to keep it.
Actually, you're not quite right according to this article...Poor leave Calif. at higher rate than rich (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/07/10/national/a120248D59.DTL - broken link)

Old 07-10-2009, 08:57 PM

230 posts, read 597,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Actually, you're not quite right according to this article...Poor leave Calif. at higher rate than rich (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/07/10/national/a120248D59.DTL - broken link)
I'm not arguing the rate at which respective income groups are leaving; my point was that any of the rich leaving CA, which assuredly is happening, creates a problem for the state.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:01 PM

256 posts, read 477,548 times
People are leaving because they are tired of living under the oppressive government of Mexifornia.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:02 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,087,136 times
well its one way you can make them loss weight sweat them.
you wont have to go to the sauna anymore.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:06 PM

637 posts, read 3,226,895 times
Quote:
The tax & business enviroment is driving out the rich.
Quote:

Nice selective headline writing. No bias there

This is exaclty right; the state is driving away their tax base (the people who actually pay to support all the politicians "programs"). Taxes & insurance are through the roof, and the tree huggers make it impossible for someone to even open up a can of paint. What's a business man supposed to do? I'll tell you, leave; he can offer his/her employees a better lifestyle somewhere else anyways so they will be glad to follow allowing for a more profitable business.

The politicians don't want to cut social services, health care to illegals, or education for them either, so they instead raise the tax burden for those who are paying. This only exacerbates the problem, forcing more and more of the payers to pick up and leave, only to be replaced by more takers.

The problem is this; the bank of Calif has 3 people standing in the deposit line and 300 standing in the withdrawl line. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what happens after a while, the state goes/went broke...

Old 07-10-2009, 09:09 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,318,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
I'm not arguing the rate at which respective income groups are leaving; my point was that any of the rich leaving CA, which assuredly is happening, creates a problem for the state.
Poor people are leaving at 1.6x the rate of rich people. Now let's compare each person's contribution to California's tax base. I bet the average high income earner takes 10x as much taxes with them as the average low earner. And I bet there's a lot of churn at the lower tax brackets. People come here poor, find it's not the land of milk and honey, and leave poor only to be replaced by someone else.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:10 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,034,823 times
clongirl, thanks for posting the article. It was very interesting. But I wonder how many people with families move out? I'm sure the numbers would be higher. These reports never give you all the facts. This state has a lot of benefits for people with incomes less than $22K so I'm not sure why they would leave? I think the people with families and older folks leave the state for some place cheaper. Businesses are setting up shop elsewhere since this state has become more difficult to do business over the years and mainly more expensive. TV and Films are being shot elsewhere now (less in Hollywood then before) and even google has offices in other states. But I agree with the articile just as many people move out more people move in.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:13 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,312,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
...and care more about their own comfort and security and pocket book...
GUILTY! Of course, care more about than WHAT I'm not really sure but I worked for 45 years to get what little I have and I've not only earned the right to maximize and hang on to it but the right to not turn an inordinate amopunt of it over to the government -- ANY government. Consequently you can soon count me and my wife among those who have left.

Quote:
...if people were awake, tuned into what's happening, were disciplined, were conscious and cared as much about everyone else as they do about themselves.
Quite awake and aware, thank you. We're considerate, not only of our neighbors and family but of our environment as well. Leaving here doesn't mean we aren't and won't continue to be.

Quote:
.... havin a bad day.
I'd say so. Hope it gets better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California