Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 05:00 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I get that, we gave up a beautiful custom 2300 sq ft house in Reno for an older 1400 sq ft house in Sacramento in part due to the weather. I don't care what the Reno lovers claim on their little forum here about 'oh don't worry the snow doesn't stick'. We lived 700' above the City and we shoveled, and shoveled, and shoveled some more, usually when it was around 15 degrees outside with the wind howling from the west blowing ice in your face. Thank God I am out of that ********
But, um, part of your problem was you lived 700' above the city. I'm sure there was probably less snow in the city proper. But I do agree with your general sentiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 05:00 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I was watching the golf channel last night. Coverage of the Pebble Beach Pro-Am. 75 degrees in the middle of February.

Folks elsewhere are freezing and battling winter. I can almost feel the thoughts of those folks. "Let's move to CA, and forget this winter stuff".
That's what has happened since the 1950's and why California is so crowded now. Paradise Found or Paradise Lost?

Old 02-16-2015, 05:09 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I was watching the golf channel last night. Coverage of the Pebble Beach Pro-Am. 75 degrees in the middle of February.

Folks elsewhere are freezing and battling winter. I can almost feel the thoughts of those folks. "Let's move to CA, and forget this winter stuff".
Isn't that the point of Rose Parade, to brag about the weather? But boy did they get fooled this year, I think it was around 40 the night before the parade. My tomatoes are also confused, starting to bear fruit already.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:19 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Drive to Lake Tahoe! That's another beautiful thing about CA. You want snow? Drive over there. But, you don't have to live in it. Wahoo!
It would take me an entire day to drive to Tahoe. But there is a big difference between traveling somewhere and what happens in your local community.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:48 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
This year has been exceptional for California. usually people on the east coast are more likely to move to Florida, better winter weather there and less arid.
Florida may have warmer winters than California, but I wouldn't go so far as to call Florida winters "better" than those of California, especially Southern California.

Although winter is California's "rainy" season and Florida's "dry" season, Florida winters, especially in the southern third of the state where most Floridians reside, are wetter overall than just about every locale in Southern California, so humidity levels remain somewhat high throughout the winter months. Even in the wintertime, most people in Florida will be running their A/C to take the humidity out of the air and prevent the buildup of mold and other dampness-related issues.

Also, because Florida is situated on the Eastern seaboard, it's more prone to Arctic air invasions (AKA "polar vortexes") than California, especially the northern half of the state, which records low temperatures in the 20's and low 30's on multiple occasions every winter. By comparison, low temperatures in coastal Southern California rarely dip below 45-50F, despite having cooler overall daytime high temperatures than most of Florida.

Oh, yeah -- don't forget that February - April is "tornado season" in Florida. There's no such thing in California.

Honestly, the trade off for slightly cooler winters in California is worth it's weight in gold, especially compared to Florida. For the other 8-9 months of the year, the weather of California is much more pleasant than that of Florida -- significantly sunnier, drier, milder, and less volatile.

Aside from the low desert areas, summertime evenings in California are much cooler overall than those in Florida and allow people to turn off their A/C and open their windows. In Florida, people run their A/C for 8-10 months straight, depending on the area, and no one dares to opens their windows during the summer due to the humidity, torrential rain, and pests that seek shelter in homes during rain events (i.e., lizards and insects).

On a different note, East Coasters are more likely to move to Florida as opposed to California because it's geographically closer to the Northeast, so it's cheaper and more convenient to travel back and forth to Northeast, not to mention the mindset and culture of Florida are more congruent with the Northeast than California.

However, the biggest reason why far more people move from the Northeast to Florida is because Florida is a whole lot cheaper than California. Generally speaking, the Northeast has a very high COL, and most Northeastern states are particularly rough on retirees. Florida, OTOH, with no state income tax, no inheritance tax, no estate tax, generally low sales taxes, generous homestead exemptions, and -- in many areas -- low home prices and property taxes, is a very cost-effective alternative for many retirees. It just so happens that Florida's also pretty warm in the winter, too, especially compared to the Northeast.

For most people, economics and COL are bigger push-pull factors than weather, even for retirees. That's the reason why most people who depart states with high COL's usually move to states with lower COL's.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:43 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Also, because Florida is situated on the Eastern seaboard, it's more prone to Arctic air invasions (AKA "polar vortexes") than California, especially the northern half of the state, which records low temperatures in the 20's and low 30's on multiple occasions every winter. By comparison, low temperatures in coastal Southern California rarely dip below 45-50F, despite having cooler overall daytime high temperatures than most of Florida.
I agree with this. I visit my folks in St. Augustine (an hour south of Jacksonville) and the temperatures there in winter are very up and down... very unpredictable. So even though it's warmer than the SF Bay Area (where I live) on average, their cold spells are often as cold as what we get up here, and sometimes colder. It's usually reasonably sunny, but not as sunny as SoCal (but sunnier than the Bay Area...although maybe not with the drought). Also, just because the sun is shining doesn't mean the weather is good. They get more windy days in FL than we do in CA as well. Here a sunny day is a great day. In FL, it can be annoyingly windy.

The only thing that's a clear winner in FL is the sandy beaches and warmer water.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:49 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
I've forgotten that such things as "winter" or "snow" exist.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:51 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I've forgotten that such things as "winter" or "snow" exist.
Ha! Me too,,i cant imagine living in snow and cold.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:17 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
75 degrees in the middle of february is hell

it should be 65
It will be....in the middle of summer with some wind and fog.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:55 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Paradise Found or Paradise Lost?
Found and being turned into something less than paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California