Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where in CA do people appear to be happiest?
"Jefferson" 3 3.85%
San Francisco 2 2.56%
Sacramento 6 7.69%
San Jose 1 1.28%
Monterrey 5 6.41%
Central Coast 16 20.51%
Central Valley 1 1.28%
Santa Barbara 6 7.69%
LA 7 8.97%
Inland Empire 1 1.28%
OC 8 10.26%
San Diego 11 14.10%
Other: specify 11 14.10%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:16 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I thought San Diego was the friendliest place I ever been to no joke. Austin and Nashville and Atlanta a lot of Southern cities have a lot of gorgeous women who are friendly and outgoing as well but SD seemed to have the happiest most out going citizens of any city I ever been to. San Antonio has a lot of them as well.
SoCal in general is a good place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 07:38 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
The Central Coast, is pretty laid back, in my opinion.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:21 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
I'd opt for the Central Coast, followed by North County San Diego, Sonoma County, and the "North Coast" (namely Mendocino County). More laid back than friendly, perhaps...

Understand...California is far from being what I could construe as a friendly state overall, largely because of the rat race mentality in our larger cities (LA, OC, IE, most of SD, Bay Area, Sacramento). You'd need to head to Texas, the Southeast (sans Florida), or just up to Canada if you're looking for healthier cultures. California is, however, still has notably friendlier folks than our friends on the BosWash Corridor or in the Pacific Northwest. So it is relative, I suppose.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:51 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I'd opt for the Central Coast, followed by North County San Diego, Sonoma County, and the "North Coast" (namely Mendocino County). More laid back than friendly, perhaps...

Understand...California is far from being what I could construe as a friendly state overall, largely because of the rat race mentality in our larger cities (LA, OC, IE, most of SD, Bay Area, Sacramento). You'd need to head to Texas, the Southeast (sans Florida), or just up to Canada if you're looking for healthier cultures. California is, however, still has notably friendlier folks than our friends on the BosWash Corridor or in the Pacific Northwest. So it is relative, I suppose.
As an aside, as women go (from a single guy's perspective), young California women are easily among the most selfish, unfriendly, immature, and narcissistic I've met anywhere on the planet. Just...terrible to get to know. Go to the South, Texas, or Midwest for matter if you want stable women who treat men as human beings--assuming they aren't already married by age 27. (I grew up in the South and lived in the Midwest, I should know.). Otherwise, among first world societies, most European nations have women who are even more feminist and independent than California (and many American) women, yet are more emotionally mature and still a joy to be around. Having just relocated back to California from Europe has helped me realize just how good I had it in that respect in Europe.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:55 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yes, unless you live there, you might think that. Don't forget that UC Davis is the major employer there, with a very well regarded medical school, and veterinary school and engineering school, and wine making school (enology) complete with vineyards.

Davis is full of highly educated people. It's a kind of wannabe Berkeley, from my experience. I owned a condo there. For entertainment, the locals watch the city council meetings on the local cable channel. They protest everything - with both barrels.

There was the protest to save the frogs from the overpass over Pole Line Road by the post office, for example. There is a highly photographed frog condo next to the post office on 5th and Pole Line Road.

The town is very quirky and fun - but this also equals snooty, in my opinion.

In fact, they have pretty much buried the story of the statue that was named "Hind Sight" which was a brass statue downtown of a guy wearing pajamas with a button down drop-down drawer on his hind side, that was dropped down to expose his buttocks and each cheek had an eye on it. Hence, "hind sight." Great statue. But, protests ensued to protect sensitive young children from seeing a statue with a bare rear end.

Anyway, a population with masters and PHD's is bound to be "snooty." And Davis is.

Great town. Lots of fun. Safe. Quirky. Bike Friendly. And...snooty.

I love it anyway. But, yes, it's snooty.
You've got it right about Davis, except long-time residents would "roll their eyes" at the comment of being a "wannabe Berkeley", sounds like something a a SoCal or Bay Area student would say, or someone from some conservative part of California would say.

Davis is Davis ;they have their own identify and don't need or want to be like Berkeley.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:50 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:

I remember you mentioning, and correct me if I am wrong, that you are a Southerner. Yes, people do seem very friendly in the South and certainly more so than Californians. In general I agree that California is not as friendly, but then again, it varies so much even inside of a city. I would say in our defense that some while Southerners are very hospitable, the South is renown for gossip and often people talk behind each other's backs. Is that really that friendly? At least here it is more live and let live.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:37 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Its *Greater LA, hardly anyone walks around with a smile and most people look at you with a puzzled look if you smile or God forbid try to engage them in conversation. Ive been to 34 states and I would say CA is arguably the least friendly. Off that list I would say "other" and choose the Palm Springs area, followed by Murrieta and then Yucaipa.
Fixed it for you.

With that said most of CA is rural and rural folk are quite friendly. Therefore CA is basically a friendly state since it is 97% rural/wilderness.

*where you live

Old 02-27-2015, 07:24 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Sierra Nevada Gold Country. Most people there are very happy to live there and it shows. Strong sense of community as well.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:29 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Quote:
You can't judge the entire state by large metro areas on the coast strip. I've lived in the Midwest (Iowa - which has a reputation for friendliness). My brother spent 15+ years in Western Kentucky. My family is from Oklahoma and Arkansas originally. I'd hold up folks in rural and small town California (especially the Sierra and "Jefferson") as easily as friendly as any of those places.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:36 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Happy people can be found anywhere but when I was in LA this last weekend, I didn't see too many happy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California