Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:31 AM

7 posts, read 10,611 times

Advertisements

My husband is running the Carlsbad marathon on the 20th. We are arriving in the middle of next week and re-visiting San Diego. We stayed there for a week 4 years ago. We also have been to San Francisco a few times and have driven down to Big Sur and Carmel.
We have never been to the Santa Barbara area or San Simeon so we are thinking of trying to do that after the marathon. We could leave Carlsbad on the 21st and head up. We are flying out of Burbank on the 26th to head back to NH, so we would like to be in the LA area on Friday.
Anyone have any suggestions of an itinerary for some sightseeing? We know that maps and mileage don't really give us a realistic idea of travel times.
How is the weather in that area this time of year? Hope it's warm, (anything over 45 is warm to us this time of year, but would prefer 60 and above!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 06:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
The first thing is flying out of Burbank is excellent compared to LAX.

The second thing is it sounds like you can do all of those thing in the time you have. The only thing is traveling through the LA area on the freeways will be long and slow due to traffic unless you really travel through it early (like before 7AM). After 7AM many if not most transverse freeways will be getting clogged. So if you are going from Carlsbad to Santa Barbara leave really, really early, like 6AM. If you go through the LA area in the middle of the day then there will still be traffic but not quite as bad. It is always bad on the 405 through the LAX area and the west side.

Go to Sigalert.com - Personalized Traffic Reports and check out traffic during the times of the day you will be driving.

The weather is almost always nice and warm unless it rains.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:55 AM

Thanks Charles for taking the time to reply. I am glad you said that Burbank is a good idea, we have never used that airport before.
We are a bit concerned about the LA traffic but I guess it will be an experience!
I was reading about San Simeon and I am looking forward to the coastline there and hopefully seeing the elephant seals. I hope we get good weather.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:15 AM

48,123 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I live in Vista neighboring Carlsbad. We have been having a cool winter, but everyday it gets into the mid 50's or 60's minimum--most daytimes it is short sleeve weather--. We have had more rain, than is usual the past month..and some evenings and early mornings were really cool but my tender plants are still doing well (no frost)..From what I heard we are in for some beautiful weather next week with lots of sun and winds coming from the East rather than from off the coast. These conditions are very favorable, clear, crisp and lovely sunny days. Hope that is right....we are due a bit more sunshine.

As you drive up the coast, it will be a bit cooler than Carlsbad. Bring some sweat shirts and a pair of jeans. Enjoy your stay in Southern California. (I moved here from Laconia NH).

Old 01-11-2008, 09:30 AM

Thanks Elston. We are looking forward to some warm weather, and 50's and 60's are not bad at all! I consider sweatshirt weather warm, my favorite time of year here is the fall. (do you miss NH in the fall? that's the only time I would miss it, I envy you for living in California)

Considering that you live near Carlsbad do you have any secrets on avoiding LA traffic to get north? We will be taking Charles' advice of leaving early but wondering if there are specific routes that you know of.

Have you been to Santa Barbara or San Simeon? Just curious if you have any advice.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:47 AM

48,123 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I miss everything about new england! I have been out here for 5+ years and this past year, decided it was time to move back. I have my house Ror Sale and am planning to relocate to Maine asap. I miss the seasons but more than anything I miss moisture. I miss ferns and moss! I miss the gorges with granite walls dripping with clear clean water (The Flumes) I miss brooks. I particularly miss the Atlantic Ocean. Somehow the pull and the mystery just isnt in the Pacific....I even miss the smell of the salt flats at low tide. (The only thing I don't miss are black flies and mosquitos and house flies. I don't know if you've noticed but we have almost no flying insects here.

There really aren't any other routes to go north; the California highway system doesnt provide many alternatives. I don't know any "back roads" to anywhere. I used to love to drive around NH or up to Maine and take all the secondary town roads and meander about; the trip being more interesting than the destination as oft as not.

We drove up to Monterey a couple of years ago. The Pacific Highway was spectacular, I dont know California geography very well (looking ashamed) I think San Luis Obispo and Big Sur are further north than where your heading. The coast is beautiful from San Diego as far as we ever went. See I can say nice things about California!

Enjoy, its a great place to visit.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:37 AM

I say that I would move to California but I know that I would miss New England too. I also love the White Mountains, Rye Beach and the lush green-ness of the area. We went to a wedding in San Jose a few years ago, the ceremony was outside in front of a manmade waterfall and it was beautiful. But the surrounding area was all brown and dry. When we got home we were amazed at how green and lush everything was here. Just beautiful. But on a day like today, rainy, with dirty snow and mud everywhere I am doing some California dreaming! Time to listen to some Beach Boys! We have always glamorized California.

Well I was hoping that you knew some back roads. We are used to our back roads to avoid Route 93 during the leaf peeper season and lately it seems our traffic is always bad. We also like to go for our "rides", driving on back roads into small towns. At the end of last summer we went up north of Berlin, NH and drove through tiny little towns, and to the Canadian border, it was beautiful.
I can't imagine that LA traffic is much worse than Boston during rush hour. We'll just leave early and be in the state of mind to enjoy ourselves!

Thanks for writing. Good luck with selling your home and moving to Maine. My nephew lived in California for a few years but recently came back home and moved to Rhode Island. He misses California somewhat but likes it here better. Good luck with your move.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldinNH View Post
....do you have any secrets on avoiding LA traffic to get north? We will be taking Charles' advice of leaving early but wondering if there are specific routes that you know of.
You're stuck with either the 405 or 5 NW through LA

or

the 57 north and then the 210 west

Do look at the sigalert website between 6AM and 7AM LA time and see which of these three routes tends to slow down the least.

If you leave after 7AM from Carlsbad you are screwed.

Best thing to do would be to leave around 530 AM or after 10AM.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:48 PM

Thanks Charles. I am hoping to leave early but my husband is thinking he might want to sleep in (he is going to be getting up very early Sunday to run the marathon). Do you think if we do leave Carlsbad around 10:30 it would o.k.? I realize the earlier the better and if it were up to me I'd get up at 4 am to get going to avoid traffic and then take an afternoon nap!

I will look at that sigalert website and see what's up, do they do the traffic reports all day? I appreciate the advice.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 01-11-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldinNH View Post
Thanks Charles. I am hoping to leave early but my husband is thinking he might want to sleep in (he is going to be getting up very early Sunday to run the marathon). Do you think if we do leave Carlsbad around 10:30 it would o.k.? I realize the earlier the better and if it were up to me I'd get up at 4 am to get going to avoid traffic and then take an afternoon nap!

I will look at that sigalert website and see what's up, do they do the traffic reports all day? I appreciate the advice.

Thanks for all your help!
If you leave around 10:30 you should probably be fine...might slow up on the 405 around LAX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California