Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 02:21 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

Actually... bees is one bright spot for one of the farms... always kept hives and it is becoming more lucrative...

Have many beekeepers in the family... my Grandfather and his Father always kept bees too... all do it now mostly for hobby and trade honey... no one has more than 12 to 20 hives.

It was always funny as kids to hear them talking to their bees and praising them for being such good workers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 02:25 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Actually... bees is one bright spot for one of the farms... always kept hives and it is becoming more lucrative...

Have many beekeepers in the family... my Grandfather and his Father always kept bees too... all do it now mostly for hobby and trade honey... no one has more than 12 to 20 hives.

It was always funny as kids to hear them talking to their bees and praising them for being such good workers!
You're lucky to be on the right side of the bee equation!

Here's an excerpt from a Mother Jones article titled: "California Goes Nuts!" Seems it's partly the recent demand for non-dairy milks, like almond milk, that's behind the "almond rush" in CA agriculture.

Almond products—snack mixes, butters, milk—are flying off supermarket shelves. The value of the California almond market hit $4.8 billion in 2012—that's triple the level of a decade earlier. Only dairy is worth more to the state than almonds and grapes. In fact, almonds, along with California-grown pistachios and walnuts, are becoming so lucrative that big investment funds, eager to get in on the boom, are snapping up land and dropping in trees.

There's just one problem: Almond orchards require about a third more water per acre than grape vineyards. In fact, they're one of California's thirstiest crops. It takes a gallon of water to produce a single almond—more than three times the amount required for a grape and two and a half times as much for a strawberry. There's more water embedded in just four almonds than there is in a full head of lettuce. But unlike row crops, which farmers can choose not to plant during dry spells, almond trees must be watered no matter what.

In the midst of the worst drought in California's history, you might expect almonds' extreme thirst to be a deal breaker. But it's not. In fact, the drought has had hardly any impact at all on the almond boom. The state's farmers bought at least 8.33 million young almond trees between July 2013 and July 2014, a 25 percent increase from the previous year. About a quarter of the saplings went to replace old orchards, but most of the rest were new plantings, some 48,000 acres' worth, an area equal to three Manhattans.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:42 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
I think the time has come for a serious engineering evaluation of water pipelines from places where there is far too much to places that need it.

When the spring thaw gets underway, we will once again see massive flooding in many places in the US. All we really need is to pump excess water from the humid midwest to the arid west.

The time has come for a water pipeline.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:53 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I think the time has come for a serious engineering evaluation of water pipelines from places where there is far too much to places that need it.

When the spring thaw gets underway, we will once again see massive flooding in many places in the US. All we really need is to pump excess water from the humid midwest to the arid west.

Obama vetoed the last pipeline. Maybe the next pres will be different.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:51 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
I'm very much in favor of almonds. Where else will you get marzipan?

Old 02-26-2015, 05:52 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:

No! No more water for California. No!

Old 02-26-2015, 05:53 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm very much in favor of almonds. Where else will you get marzipan?
More Almonds! Less Humans!

Old 02-26-2015, 06:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:

I don't see the logic in mandating piping of water from one state to another, because some big business found a profitable crop that needs water in a drought zone.

I mean, it was really lucrative to blast away hillsides with water to get gold, too...

And then people in San Francisco started wondering - what the heck is happening to the Bay?

Sometimes we need to just say - No.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Wonder how many gallons of water it takes to grow one rice kernel in Yolo County? Most of which gets shipped to Japan.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 02-26-2015 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Made a reference to Anheuser-Busch owning a rice mill in Woodland, but they sold it.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:24 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Are you your cousin's keeper?
Seriously. Regardless, I like almonds. When I grew up in Oakdale (NE of Modesto) in the late 60s and early 70s we had ten mature trees on our acre of land (old converted orchard broken into parcels). Its not like growing them is something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California