Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 10:47 PM

53 posts, read 91,794 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0

that girl her own bed(bunkbed)
i had to share a full size mattress with my two older brothers as a kid.
we barely fit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:51 AM

781 posts, read 743,937 times
Overall, I did feel for the people in this piece. I felt sad for the girl living in the garage....until I found out she was preggo with #2.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:36 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
mbell's hyperbole is annoying, but he does have a point. At some point, it really isn't worth it any more. Most people who are candidates for moving out probably live in denial for too long before making the decision to leave. Moving is hard. No one likes the process. But it's often worth it.
I agree with this. My wife and I actually have a 2 year game plan to move end up in the Sacramento area in the next couple years. We have other family that is also planning to make the move with us. We already know many people in the area. At this point it doesn't make sense to move. The wife and I both have reasonably secure jobs with good benefits and our incomes would be considered pretty decent just about anywhere else. Also, most of our family and friends are here and we are close with them and see them on a regular basis.

It would be impractical to move at this point, but at the same time we do somewhat live paycheck to paycheck mainly from housing costs and preschool. We have almost no debt but still find it nearly impossible to get ahead here.

My whole point in reference to what Mbell is saying is that my roots are here in the Bay Area. It's my home. I do get frustrated when I see a huge influx of people from other regions/other countries coming here and paying cash for homes that are completely overpriced. It's frustrating to find myself priced out of a place that I feel I should be able to continue to live in comfortably...especially since so many people move here just for "the job" while others like me actually have a strong connection to the region. I should retract my statement about my sense of "entitlement" to feeling like I should be able to stay here. That's probably not the best word for it.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:51 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,943 times
Do parents in China tell their children to eat all their rice because there are starving children in the USA?

Old 03-04-2015, 07:33 PM

105 posts, read 169,558 times
The lady that was living in a garage with her daughter makes me angry. So she knows that times are tough for her and her daughter and then decides to get pregnant again. SMH.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:24 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNHot75 View Post
The lady that was living in a garage with her daughter makes me angry. So she knows that times are tough for her and her daughter and then decides to get pregnant again. SMH.
This is the oldest trick in the book, in my home state of PA, we had plenty of people like this who abused the state's excellent welfare program. Extra kid = more benefits for Food Stamps and bigger check the 1st of the month.

Yes, hard to feel sorry for people like this.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:41 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post

My whole point in reference to what Mbell is saying is that my roots are here in the Bay Area. It's my home. I do get frustrated when I see a huge influx of people from other regions/other countries coming here and paying cash for homes that are completely overpriced. It's frustrating to find myself priced out of a place that I feel I should be able to continue to live in comfortably...especially since so many people move here just for "the job" while others like me actually have a strong connection to the region. I should retract my statement about my sense of "entitlement" to feeling like I should be able to stay here. That's probably not the best word for it.
This is called, "I care about my hometown". No need to apologize. It just so happens that this particular hometown, unlike so many others, is the one that is ground zero for the tech revolution, attracting high earners from everywhere else. Many of whom, unfortunately, could give a rat's ass about the town; just in it to cash and dash. Maybe some of those who don't get this sentiment haven't experienced this in their hometown. It can feel like what was once a community has been replaced by a bunch of random people in houses.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:12 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
There are a lot of affordable places to live....the issue is that most of them aren't in CA.

There are bigger cities with low unemployment AND low housing costs.

The people said they couldn't afford to lose their jobs..but it seems like they can't afford to keep their jobs, if their jobs don't even afford them a place to live.

Also I know it's not 'politically correct' ...but why are people having kids if they know they can't afford the kids and can barely take care of themselves?

Old 03-05-2015, 01:01 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
why are people having kids if they know they can't afford the kids and can barely take care of themselves?
What I'm trying to figure out is why people continue to ask this question for thousands of years. As if it's a new behavior, eh?

Old 03-05-2015, 02:57 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
The ads are annoying, thanks to CNN. I just forwarded through much of it, reading the highlights. I did not even watch all the videos and Tent City interviews.

The housing issue is imploding back on a lot of tech companies, I know other people in tech who have job leads and recruiters trying to poach them from elsewhere in the US and they are turning down pursuing anything due to the housing. These are not H-1B's, happy living with 10 people in a rented house with a converted garage with bunk beds, so that's probably why.
Yes this is what I did. I had 2 job offers in the Bay Area and one other interview. I turned them all down because even with paying me alot, it wouldn't be enough to live and still enjoy myself.

I'd rather live in LA, Ventura, Inland Empire, Central Coast, or parts of San Diego county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California