Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why is the Bay area more expensive on average than So Cal?
It's because of the density of higher paying jobs, stupid 58 52.25%
The Bay area is so much nicer than So Cal, no really, I believe that 30 27.03%
So Cal is inhabited by uncivilized barbarians whereas the Bay area is not 10 9.01%
The fog is lovely in summer along the coast up this way, cool weather is nice, warm sucks 6 5.41%
People in So Cal do not even know how to read, right? 7 6.31%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 09:45 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They are different, though. LA is huge sprawl that requires a complex freeway system for getting around. SF is the antithesis of sprawl.
SF only comprises 10% of the total Bay Area population. You cannot take SF in a vacuum given the reliance it has on the rest of the Bay Area. Heck, do you see how many people take shuttle buses on a daily basis down to their jobs in the valley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 10:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Default Why is the Bay area more expensive than So Cal when So Cal is nicer?

Snob value!

Old 03-08-2015, 10:28 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecaredalot;
I will also miss a lot of the beautiful nature NorCal has to offer. LA, by contrast, just looks dried out and smoggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
SF only comprises 10% of the total Bay Area population. You cannot take SF in a vacuum given the reliance it has on the rest of the Bay Area. Heck, do you see how many people take shuttle buses on a daily basis down to their jobs in the valley?
Well, yes. I thought about that, as I was writing earlier. The image Bay area natives, or long-term residents, have of LA hasn't caught up with the newer reality of the Bay Area: the freaky traffic, mainly. The image of LA is still: smog, freeway maze, sprawl. It's like a knee-jerk reaction. People don't look deeper than that. If there are museums, they don't know about them. Great beaches? Haven't seen 'em. But the traffic in the Bay Area is really at the point of bringing the whole place down. And people keep coming. I don't know what the solution will be, because pretty soon, it's going to be all-day-long gridlock.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:40 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Snob value!
Well I didn't mean it that way. It's a neighborly discussion.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:49 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
And what I would add to this is: Why the big obsession with what people think about where you live?

It boggles my mind that so many people lose sleep over this. I like the bay area better than LA. Why does the OP give a F--ck?

That whole mentality is so narcissistic. "I need everyone to agree that my neighborhood is the best." Gawd, if we all patronize them, pat them on the head and say, "You're right, honey," will they do us the favor and go away?
Wow…I thought the OP was just asking a basic question for the heck of it.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:53 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Being a Bay Area native that has lived in SoCal for more than 20 years, before moving back to the Bay Area, SoCal has some nice attributes. The cost of living is noticeably lower and there is not the degree of competition in the housing market, that we have in the Bay Area. Homes/apartments are generally larger in size and you can buy in a very nice area, for much less than you can here in the Bay Area.

The toughest part about SoCal is that the job market is really struggling and there are noticeably fewer openings for solid middle to upper-middle income type jobs.

I love the diversity of SoCal, the beaches, great (affordable) food, the museums, etc
And most homes in So. Cal actually have front yards and back yards -- even the tiniest of homes, and the homes generally have some space between one house and the next; not quite so pancaked together like much of SF (if talking solely about SF and not other parts of the Bay). But I do love the Bay Area, mainly for the weather, as I love cooler weather; I personally think So. Cal gets too hot and stays too hot for too many months out of the year.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:17 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
The toughest part about SoCal is that the job market is really struggling and there are noticeably fewer openings for solid middle to upper-middle income type jobs.
Hmmm, that's not quite the situation in South (Orange) County*:

South County growing strong, new economic report says - The Orange County Register
"A region barely removed from its infancy, south Orange County has rapidly grown into its own in the past three decades, evolving from a bedroom community into an economic force that contributes $25.6 billion to the county’s economy and supports a diverse range of industries, from biotech to hospitality...

..It also has become a place that can sustain itself economically, with a balance of housing and jobs that means many residents don’t need to commute outside the region to make a living.

In many ways, the region’s economy mirrors the rest of the county, which performs better than California and the country, Teng said. The unemployment rate in South County is 3.1 percent, lower than the county as a whole. The number of jobs in the region has increased by 10 percent since 2009, boosted by real estate and health care industries."

*South County is south of Irvine: Aliso Viejo, Laguna Beach, Rancho Santa Margarita, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Woods, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Dana Point and Laguna Hills.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-09-2015 at 07:45 AM..

Old 03-09-2015, 09:46 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Hmmm, that's not quite the situation in South (Orange) County*:

South County growing strong, new economic report says - The Orange County Register
"A region barely removed from its infancy, south Orange County has rapidly grown into its own in the past three decades, evolving from a bedroom community into an economic force that contributes $25.6 billion to the county’s economy and supports a diverse range of industries, from biotech to hospitality...

..It also has become a place that can sustain itself economically, with a balance of housing and jobs that means many residents don’t need to commute outside the region to make a living.

In many ways, the region’s economy mirrors the rest of the county, which performs better than California and the country, Teng said. The unemployment rate in South County is 3.1 percent, lower than the county as a whole. The number of jobs in the region has increased by 10 percent since 2009, boosted by real estate and health care industries."

*South County is south of Irvine: Aliso Viejo, Laguna Beach, Rancho Santa Margarita, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Woods, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Dana Point and Laguna Hills.
Shhhh. This information breaks too many stereotypes.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Wow…I thought the OP was just asking a basic question for the heck of it.
It's a pretty loaded question the way he phrased it. And some people are surprised he's getting little jabs, as if he asked a neutral question.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
And most homes in So. Cal actually have front yards and back yards -- even the tiniest of homes, and the homes generally have some space between one house and the next; not quite so pancaked together like much of SF (if talking solely about SF and not other parts of the Bay). But I do love the Bay Area, mainly for the weather, as I love cooler weather; I personally think So. Cal gets too hot and stays too hot for too many months out of the year.
Dude, most homes in NorCal do, too. What are you talking about? You're comparing all of SoCal with one city in NorCal? Come on, you know better than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California