Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 05:28 PM

51 posts, read 287,859 times

Advertisements

Movin to cali, not a hundred percent sure where yet but we'll figure that part out.

so... do i trade in the stang for a small travel trailer and try to trade back when i settle down? has anyone tried to do something similar? mistake?

another thought is finding a really small hitch and towing some stuff off the back of the stang. you think it could handle it? thoughts about getting stuff stolen along the journey doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 05:26 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Have your car shipped. Either hire professional movers and fly over here or rent a truck and drive. That way, you can keep your whip (young whippersnapper term for car).

Old 01-16-2008, 09:37 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Does the mustang have a 289 motor in it? Will the towed trailer be loaded heavily? Will a 289 pull a heavy load over the Rockies and Sierra Nevada Mountains? Would you be willing to take the chance of ruining the mustang if it cant make it all the way? Questions you must ask yourself. You dont say how long of a drive it will be.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:45 PM

51 posts, read 287,859 times
these are all good questions.

i have no idea what type of motor i have. didn't really consider mountain driving. will be driving straight across the country, coast to coast, along the southern route. won't be taking any furniture so that makes it less extreme. i'd almost rather trade in so I have somewhere to sleep if I can't find a place right away, and so the cats will have room to breathe along this long journey, and especially if we want to check out towns like ojai, but i'm really worried about not being able to trade back in when i need a car again.

are there a lot of easy and safe places to park travel trailers in central coastal areas of cali? does it cost just as much to rent an rv space as it does to stay in motels?

thanks for the help y'all

Old 01-16-2008, 04:31 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Coastal central CA is very dangerous to drive on in a regular car. The bridges are wide enough for one car, let alone an RV. There are sheer cliffs and winding roads.

It is safe though. I dont know of RV parks, but I'm sure there's a list somewhere.

[moderator cut]

California RV Parks and Campgrounds page 2

Last edited by NYSD1995; 01-16-2008 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Do not link copywritten content without permission

Old 01-16-2008, 05:45 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
In my long career as a volunteer firefighter, I've driven fire engines over just about every single numbered highway in CA. I don't think the coast road(s) are any more dangerous than any others. A 2 lane road is a 2 lane road. The consequences of not paying attention while you're driving are higher on a winding mountain road, but that sort of reinforces why one should always pay attention.

For the OP, you should know that the CA requirements for smog inspections and the vehicle use tax for cars brought into CA can be a real surprise. I'd part with your car in your home state and get a replacement in CA.

Have a safe trip

Old 01-16-2008, 06:30 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Coastal central CA is very dangerous to drive on in a regular car. The bridges are wide enough for one car, let alone an RV. There are sheer cliffs and winding roads.
Not sure I agree with this. I have ridden my bicycle from SF to LA, driven my Harley from San Simeon to Big Sur, and driven a regular car from Monterey to LA all using Highway 1. These roads are well maintained and meet all traffic and safety guidelines. They aren't any more dangerous than Malibu Canyon Road from Tapia Park to the Beach.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:25 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Coastal central CA is very dangerous to drive on in a regular car.
Drive up Big Sur on any high summer day and you will see fleets of RV's and rental cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California