Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:38 PM

73 posts, read 473,165 times

Advertisements

Clovis, CA.

I wouldn't live there but, it's affordable and there are jobs there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 01:08 PM

8,193 posts, read 16,608,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcking View Post
Clovis, CA.

I wouldn't live there but, it's affordable and there are jobs there.
Well I think that is the main point of the thread. There are a lot of places like Clovis, Modesto, Stockton, Victorville, etc... where it is cheaper to live. But would you really want to live there and raise a family? I know I wouldn't.

However I have been north east of Clovis by Oakhurst and Mariposa - Sierra Foothills. Now those are areas I would consider as nice places. But up there you would have to do some kind of telecommuting or 'long' drives to work.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:48 PM

18 posts, read 77,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
DMenscha,

For my line of work I don't know if I could 'realistically' live there before retirement. I work as a software engineer and the best work for me would probably be in Sac. I wouldn't mind commuting reasonable distances (< 1 hour). And I was looking at Sutter Creek and Jackson. But it looks like they would be above my commute tolerance threshold. What are those roads like?
I have driven on highways 4, 49 and 88 through that area. My wife likes the Gold Country. The highwayus are generaly two lane mountain roads, 55 mph speed limit not terrible, but if you get stuck behind a truck or RV its going to slow you down. Once you get to highway 99 you get a lot more traffic heading towards Sacramento. And my friends and I avoid driving through Jackson when ever possible, the Highway Patrol is vicious there with the radar!

Old 01-17-2008, 05:22 PM

73 posts, read 473,165 times
Have you looked into Clovis? I wouldn't live there but lots of people seem to like it.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:52 PM

28 posts, read 187,470 times
I wouldn't live in Clovis because there are no jobs for me and I prefer more charming towns like Healdsburg.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 7,021 times
So is colorado cheaper tha California to live ?

Old 01-18-2008, 07:17 AM

8,193 posts, read 16,608,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmilou85 View Post
Yes, definately! My wife and I moved here with our three children because of the affordability, abundant jobs in my field (software engineering) and proximity to the Rocky Mountains.

I would say if you enjoy the mountains, don't mind some snow (not as muh as mid west or east coast) and can live further from the coast it is a great place to live. It is far less crouded, less traffic and has less pollution. We can drink water right from the tap and it tastes good.

Here is what $235K bought us in Colorado - newer (2001), 4db/3bath, A/C, double pane windows, full basement, mountain view, and big yard in a nice Colorado Springs neighborhood. This a close commute to work (20 minutes).

Old 01-18-2008, 09:35 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,530,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmilou85 View Post
Housing is much cheaper.
Gas was cheaper but not much cheaper now.
Food seems the same but I've noticed fresh produce doesn't last as long (Extra day of transit? Drier weather? not sure why)
Because it is colder in winter more fuel is used.
No Air Conditioning is needed. It is very dry and there is usually a very comfortable breeze in summer.
Property Taxes in El Paso County (where Derek MtnSurfer and I live) is about 0.8%, whereas in Ventura county it as a little over 1%.

So, with the exception of housing, everything is about the same.

Go to Realtor.com and check out 80920 for excellent Colorado Springs Neighborhoods and 80124 and 80126 for nice Denver neighborhoods in Highlands Ranch (for example).

Here is a really good photo tour of the 80920 neighborhood - very nice.

Zip Code 80920 Colorado Springs Briargate - Pine Creek – Photo Tour

Here's an example in Colorado Springs:

$425,000
5 Bed, 4 Bath
3,878 Sq. Ft.
0.22 Acres

More good paying, high tech jobs per capita. This house is in zip code 80920, minutes from good jobs in the Springs and 50 minutes from good jobs in Denver. District 20 (Academy School District). If this house was in a nice part of Ventura County or Orange County it would be at least $1.4M.

http://homepics.realtor.com/image1/http/coloradosprings/submit/large/084/527854a.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-18-2008, 05:45 PM

OK, my Colorado friends, here is other sample of ‘leftovers’: Phoenix, about same price as yours in CO, mountain views, 1999 build, good schools, less smog (behind the South Mountain Park), hiking trails, plain mid-class neighborhood, prefect winter half-year, oven-style summer other half…
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable Places to Raise a Family in California. Any left?-mvc_022s.jpg  

Old 01-18-2008, 05:49 PM

My topic is not for advertisement of ‘leftovers’: Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, etc., but to find affordable ‘pockets’ in California. In the state a lot of us moved out, but may move back if …
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California