Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 06:28 PM

28 posts, read 187,336 times

Advertisements

Are any AFFORDABLE places left in California to raise a family?
Please name me at list one.
By affordable I mean:
- one good income job would be sufficient and such jobs are available;
- you can afford to buy a house .
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 06:45 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etozion View Post
By affordable I mean:
- one good income job would be sufficient and such jobs are available;
- you can afford to buy a house .
What places you researched home prices?
What line of work are you in?
What is your income?

Why do you want to raise a family in California?

People buy homes all the time in California with one income. (I did it.)

What does "good income" mean?
What does the house cost?

Old 01-12-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Affordable is relative.

OK, Here are some places that are affordable:

Carmel
Watts
Malibu
Compton
Montecito
Reseda
Del Mar
Barstow
Bel-Air
Daggett

Old 01-12-2008, 07:43 PM

56 posts, read 266,057 times
You forgot Ludlow

Old 01-12-2008, 09:01 PM

28 posts, read 187,336 times
OK, let's say income of $60K to $80K.
Houses from $250K to $400K.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
OK, let's say income of $60K to $80K.
Houses from $250K to $400K.
Yes because not all homes in California are at LA, SF, SD, etc prices. However there might not be jobs in those areas (out in the desert, rural areas, etc.) You posted about possibly moving to Thousand Oaks or Ventura. There isn't much selection in those areas for houses (maybe condos) in the $250K to $400K price range. TO and Ventura are expensive because a) jobs, b) good communities, c) good weather, d) planned infrastructure, e).... lots of reasons.

Personally, I think a person making $60K to $80K would have a much better quality of life and standard of living in Phoenix. Yes it is hot but just about everything else would probably be better compared to where you would be living in SoCal on a $60K to $80K salary (in a $250K to $400K house).

Old 01-13-2008, 11:53 AM

8,175 posts, read 16,562,313 times
Hey Charles!

We both moved to Colorado from California for similar reasons, one of them being more affordable housing and overall cost of living.

But in answer to your question as a California native I would say it is 'hard' but not 'impossible.' At close to 40 million people it is a matter of supply and demand. And many of those millions of people are asking the 'same question.'

So if you are sincerely looking for a nice place to live in Ca. and not just asking a rhetorical question here is what you need to do. You have to take the road less traveled. Remember California is a 'Huge' state. It is more about the places you shouldn't look like LA, San Diego, Santa Barbara or SF. If you are looking there then forget it! Or settle fot a nice little apt. in an overcrouded area with too many grumpy people trying to get out.

Here are a few really nice affordable places I have researched which are good to raise a family at in California:

Ben Lomond:
Ben Lomond, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Sonora:
Sonora, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Grass Valley:
Grass Valley, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

McKinleyville:
McKinleyville, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news

And there are other 'nice' places...

These are in Northern Cal. which I have considered moving back to some day along with Portland Oregon which I also highly recommend. Portland is much more affordable Pacific Coast living.

Are these places perfect? Of course not! No place is. But they offer some of the best affordable family living in California currently. And all of these areas are in much more beautiful settings than the overbloated areas where 'most' of Californians live or have lived like myself (LA County). You may have to look a little harder for the right job depending on your profession. But that is part of the trade off. If you find the right job these areas can be very nice for raising a family.

- Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-13-2008 at 12:33 PM..

Old 01-13-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
This "If" needs to be in size 96 font.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:06 PM

8,175 posts, read 16,562,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This "If" needs to be in size 96 font.
Yes, I know what you mean. But some of these areas shouldn't be that difficult to find a job. Trust me I have thought about all these locations.

Ben Lomond for example is in commute distance to the Silicon Valley. So finding a job there shouldn't be a real problem.

Also Grass Valley is within commute distance to Sac. which has a lot of diverse job opportunities.

Now when I talk about reasonable commute distance I am talking about < 1 hour. Heck even out here in Colorado many people commute 1+ hours to work, especially going from CS to Denver.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
But some of these areas shouldn't be that difficult to find a job.

Ben Lomond for example is in commute distance to the Silicon Valley.
IF California AND jobs THEN expensive.

Ben Lomond:

$445,000
2 Bed, 1 Bath
1,004 Sq. Ft.
0.13 Acres

Why I like Colorado Springs. More good paying, high tech jobs per capita. This house is in zip code 80920, minutes from good jobs in the Springs and 50 minutes from good jobs in Denver. District 20 (Academy School District). If this house was in a nice part of Ventura County or Orange County it would be at least $1.4M.

http://homepics.realtor.com/image1/http/coloradosprings/submit/large/084/527854a.jpg (broken link)

$425,000
5 Bed, 4 Bath
3,878 Sq. Ft.
0.22 Acres

Last edited by Charles; 01-13-2008 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California