Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 02:20 PM

24,401 posts, read 26,946,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I have a native-CA'ian friend in Houston and he really loves it.

I'm not sure why though. He's even part of a group that many of us would think would be marginalized there.
I have three friends that moved from the Bay Area to Houston, one of them being my cousin and they all love it there as well. Like I said, stereotypes get thrown around a lot in both directions. All of them are Obama supporters, but not hardcore Liberals. You can be gay and drive a Prius in Houston and still have a great life. They have In N Out, a strong job market, top notch affordable housing, tons of attractions, it reminds me of a cleaner/nicer/cheaper version of Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 02:23 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I have three friends that moved from the Bay Area to Houston, one of them being my cousin and they all love it there as well. Like I said, stereotypes get thrown around a lot in both directions. All of them are Obama supporters, but not hardcore Liberals. You can be gay and drive a Prius in Houston and still have a great life. They have In N Out, a strong job market, top notch affordable housing, tons of attractions, it reminds me of a cleaner/nicer/cheaper version of Los Angeles.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind visiting someday. My point-of-Texas-reference only contains Amarillo, so I have a long way to go in forming an opinion on it.

I don't know if my friend drives a Prius.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't mind visiting someday. My point-of-Texas-reference only contains Amarillo, so I have a long way to go in forming an opinion on it.

I don't know if my friend drives a Prius.
Amarillo is pretty awful, at least from what I saw driving through, LOL. If you do visit, do so when your friend has time because it's one of those cities where it REALLY helps if you know someone to show you around the cool spots.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:41 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
I'd go with a cleaner, nicer and more affordable of Fresno. Which, in terms of population totals, is to Houston what Houston is to Los Angeles.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I'd go with a cleaner, nicer and more affordable of Fresno. Which, in terms of population totals, is to Houston what Houston is to Los Angeles.
Houston's metro is 6x larger than Fresno's metro, while Los Angele's metro is only 3x larger than Houston's metro.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:20 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Houston's metro is 6x larger than Fresno's metro, while Los Angele's metro is only 3x larger than Houston's metro.
That's why I specified population totals. The differences from Houston to both are nearly identical.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:57 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Hahahahahahahahahahah.

Wait.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Let us know when you move back to California.
It's a one way ticket. I don't want to come back to CA unless things change dramatically (repealing Prop 13 typr of dramatic)

Old 03-14-2015, 03:59 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,577 times
Quote:
See, this is why TX is very appealing right now. It's affordable but its a high growth area. Austin as well but my biggest turn-off with TX is that it's not a union friendly state (I mentioned before that I'm trying to get into IBEW).

Old 03-14-2015, 04:01 PM

37 posts, read 43,666 times
I'm a native Californian millenial and I just left 2 months ago to North Carolina. Sure there are certain things I miss but it was ultimately the best decision I've ever made in terms of my career and livelihood. There are many places to see and visit besides California.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:23 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
It's a one way ticket. I don't want to come back to CA unless things change dramatically (repealing Prop 13 typr of dramatic)
Guess anything is possible...

I for one am glad those that came before took a stand to Sacramento politics and made Prop 13 Law...

A simple few lines that anyone can understand that eliminated volumes of code, corruption and sweetheart deals only available to those of influence.

I would never want a return to double digit property tax increases that occurred in the 70's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California