Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 11:27 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, weather is a personal preference.

When I was referring to mountains I was talking about Los Angeles, those are mountains. In addition to hills.

FL doesn't have much going for it, it's very flat, attracts a lot of trashy types, and is not all that scenic, it does have nice beaches I will say that, but there is more to life than the beach.

It sounds like you're retiring there, so you won't be leaving your home in 85 degree heat at 8am in business casual trying to not to sweat to get into the A/C car.

If all you have to do is run around in flip flops and shorts and stay in your house in A/C, it is more doable, not for a working person.

The good for the skin excuse is used to play down the brutal humidity that adds to 10 degrees to the already hot weather.
You just agreed weather is personal preference yet your argument is still mostly about the weather lol.

1) Los Angeles mountains are very ugly, if you enjoy mountains then Colorado, Oregon, Washington are all great choices. Moving to Los Angeles because of those brown mountains is laughable. Florida beaches are gorgeous. Many cities landscape their cities beautifully and aren't covered in graffiti and litter like in California. It's tropical green all year long. This is another personal preference though.

2) Well, I can leave my grocery bags in my car in Florida and not worry about some idiot breaking into my car and stealing everything. I never experienced any crime nor have any of my friends there. In California, the vast majority of my friends have had their car broken into or been robbed. I even had a friend who was stabbed in the back. I'm not saying Florida doesn't have crime because it does, but it sure isn't the same level as here. I can't even leave my jacket in the car here, which is ridiculous.

3) I'm 27 years old, so I'm not retiring. However, my work doesn't require me to be in a suit and tie every day, only occasionally. I'm outside most of the time during the summer months when I was in Florida. I absolutely love hot weather and most Floridians look forward to the summer, my friends and I would always push at the start of the year to get a beach body. I was so much more active when I lived there compared to here. I would rather go jogging in shorts and a t-shirt vs sweat pants and a jacket. I hate being outside when its cold having to cover up with layers.

4) My skin isn't an excuse, it's real. My mom who lives in Alaska hates humid weather, but even she admits her skin when she lived in Florida was much nicer and didn't require body lotion every day. However, you can believe what you want lol.

5) I've said it already that people have different preferences. There are people in California who wouldn't move even if you gave them $100k, likewise there are people in Florida, Washington etc that also wouldn't move. At the same time there are people in every state that dreams of moving. If you truly think that everybody wants to live in California, then you need to come down to Earth lol. I know Californians have a bad stereotype of being smug, which is what creates all the smog (that's the joke anyways) but really these days there isn't much to be smug about. California has high unemployment, high poverty rates, especially when you consider the cost of living, horrible politics, its buildings and infrastructure are going downhill etc. I think its still a great state and I will look at my time here very favorably, but it's out of my system and no longer worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 11:44 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You just agreed weather is personal preference yet your argument is still mostly about the weather lol.

1) Los Angeles mountains are very ugly, if you enjoy mountains then Colorado, Oregon, Washington are all great choices. Moving to Los Angeles because of those brown mountains is laughable. Florida beaches are gorgeous. Many cities landscape their cities beautifully and aren't covered in graffiti and litter like in California. It's tropical green all year long. This is another personal preference though.

2) Well, I can leave my grocery bags in my car in Florida and not worry about some idiot breaking into my car and stealing everything. I never experienced any crime nor have any of my friends there. In California, the vast majority of my friends have had their car broken into or been robbed. I even had a friend who was stabbed in the back. I'm not saying Florida doesn't have crime because it does, but it sure isn't the same level as here. I can't even leave my jacket in the car here, which is ridiculous.

3) I'm 27 years old, so I'm not retiring. However, my work doesn't require me to be in a suit and tie every day, only occasionally. I'm outside most of the time during the summer months when I was in Florida. I absolutely love hot weather and most Floridians look forward to the summer, my friends and I would always push at the start of the year to get a beach body. I was so much more active when I lived there compared to here. I would rather go jogging in shorts and a t-shirt vs sweat pants and a jacket. I hate being outside when its cold having to cover up with layers.

4) My skin isn't an excuse, it's real. My mom who lives in Alaska hates humid weather, but even she admits her skin when she lived in Florida was much nicer and didn't require body lotion every day. However, you can believe what you want lol.

5) I've said it already that people have different preferences. There are people in California who wouldn't move even if you gave them $100k, likewise there are people in Florida, Washington etc that also wouldn't move. At the same time there are people in every state that dreams of moving. If you truly think that everybody wants to live in California, then you need to come down to Earth lol. I know Californians have a bad stereotype of being smug, which is what creates all the smog (that's the joke anyways) but really these days there isn't much to be smug about. California has high unemployment, high poverty rates, especially when you consider the cost of living, horrible politics, its buildings and infrastructure are going downhill etc. I think its still a great state and I will look at my time here very favorably, but it's out of my system and no longer worth it.
Well, bye.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:23 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Call it coincidence or not...

BMW335xi struck a chord in that just about everyone I know has been a victim of crime... was not always the case and really a sad commentary on the sad state of things.

In many communities a car theft or home burglary warrant no police response... victims are directed to file an online police report.

Be it car break ins, home invasions, residential and/or commercial burglary, assaults, being shot to being killed... have all touched me.

The latest trend in good neighborhoods is car break ins, theft and burglary...

Don't know how it is other places only that California is often a bellwether for whats to come elsewhere.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:12 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Call it coincidence or not...

BMW335xi struck a chord in that just about everyone I know has been a victim of crime... was not always the case and really a sad commentary on the sad state of things.

In many communities a car theft or home burglary warrant no police response... victims are directed to file an online police report.

Be it car break ins, home invasions, residential and/or commercial burglary, assaults, being shot to being killed... have all touched me.

The latest trend in good neighborhoods is car break ins, theft and burglary...

Don't know how it is other places only that California is often a bellwether for whats to come elsewhere.
I don't really understand why this is the case either. I was in Busan, South Korea which is a fairly large city and my friend would leave her purse in the front car seat in plain sight. I told her she was crazy and she says she has done it her whole life and never had a problem. It's sad how you can't even leave your jacket or groceries in your car here. My mom's rental was broken into within 30 minutes. The only thing that was visible was some grocery bags. My friend was walking while on his phone talking to his GF about the intersection to meet up and was stabbed in the back and thrown against the wall, all that for just his phone. The most recent event was my GF's cousin and her mother being robbed because she had her backpack on with some of her computer sticking out of the zipper. I have many more friends that were robbed for their phones. All you do is file a report and pretty much nothing happens after that, no follow up or anything.

In Alaska, my family's business is a restaurant and someone dined and ditched. A customer saw it and ran after them and wrote down their license plate number. They called the police and the officer followed up with them, saying the car was a rental, but he can request a warrant to get their information from the car company etc. What a difference!

Honestly, if you have no conscious or morals, you could fairly easily make a living robbing people and property in SF because all the cops do is ask you to file a report and that's pretty much it.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I think the only reason for a report most of the time is for insurance purposes...

Unless a gun is involved, an assault requiring medical, domestic violence or a child... you really are very much on your own...

They use to call it the Barbary Coast and the Wild West...

I insisted we go the station when Mom's car was stolen and the officer was very surprised when we said we are willing to press charges if the chance was there... she said most victims can't be bothered and some actually more than happy knowing they will be getting a check from their insurance.

When I was in college a friend had her car stolen and she was dating a police officer... she got word to him and every police officer in San Jose had the car on the Hot Sheet and it was recovered by police work a few hours later being driven...

Old 03-16-2015, 05:46 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
I can understand someone waiting to move to another state due to a variety of personal preferences. People have always had different tastes. Still, you can't escape crime by moving to Florida. BTW, it seems that the most bizarre and headline grabbing crimes come out of that state.

Just an aside, having lived in Manhattan, I'm aware of the fact that you can minimize, but not fully eliminate, the possibility of being a crime victim even if you try to avoid dangerous areas, and live in the "best" of neighborhoods.

The Most Dangerous States in America - 24/7 Wall St.

1. Alaska
  2. New Mexico
  3. Nevada
  4. Tennessee
  5. Louisiana
  6. South Carolina
  7. Delaware
  8. Maryland
  9. Florida
  10. Arkansas
Here's what they say about Florida:

"There were nearly 90,000 violent crimes reported in Florida in 2013, or 460 per 100,000 residents. Rapes and aggravated assaults largely contributed to the state’s high crime rates, despite the incidence of rape falling more than 11% between 2012 and 2013. Property crimes were also high, with more than 3,100 committed per 100,000 Floridians in 2013, compared to only 2,700 nationwide. The warm climate and more densely populated areas may have contributed to the high volume of crimes committed. * According to a study published by Matthew Ranson, an environmental economist at Abt Associates — a public policy research and consulting firm — warmer weather may contribute to higher crime rates: “Warm weather lets people mix socially… And it is only a matter of probability that sometimes that mixture may prove volatile.”

* So, why is Alaska #1?

Enjoy Florida, but watch your back.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-16-2015 at 06:01 AM..

Old 03-16-2015, 05:56 AM

525 posts, read 815,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
The problem with Prop 13 is that it made CA too dependent on income taxes and the available funds for schools went down as fast as diarrhea. Add in that the safety nets increased but no true way to balance the budgets.
Which is why the way it is I described in my recent new thread in California forum. I noticed that most local community colleges compared to out of state community colleges lack higher level adult courses, especially in technology.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:06 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
Which is why the way it is I described in my recent new thread in California forum. I noticed that most local community colleges compared to out of state community colleges lack higher level adult courses, especially in technology.
Funny, but several California community colleges make this list:
The 25 Best Community Colleges in the United States | Create a Career

Old 03-16-2015, 06:11 AM

525 posts, read 815,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Funny, but several California community colleges make this list:
The 25 Best Community Colleges in the United States | Create a Career
Some excel in undergraduate education and transfer to great schools especially in UC but not necessarily continuing adult education for people who already may have bachelors or masters but need to upgrade their work related skills by taking just a few courses. They are more like junior colleges than community colleges.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:50 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
They are more like junior colleges than community colleges.
A community college IS a junior college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California