Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 04:40 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Mutt, what about your boat in the Puget Sound region? Are you keeping that one there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 04:53 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
chuckling

what the hell do I know about boats?
Well, let's see:

You know your son has some kinda little kayak that he tried to run down the creek during the winter flash storm

You know I have more boats than good sense

And we know that boats are really off topic unless I am buying gas for my two little outboards at triple the price I could buy it in another state!

But truth be told, I am only paying pennies more here per gallon here than I would most other places. So I'm good

Old 03-17-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Mutt, what about your boat in the Puget Sound region? Are you keeping that one there?
Yes. One boat is north now for summer adventures. Plus a canoe.

My San Francisco liveaboard sailboat is going to San Diego next month to stay.

One boat, the inflatable canoe, goes with me in the back of my little truck wherever I roam. Ever ready for extemporaneous explorations whenever I see an inviting puddle.

One other sailboat will move into the SF slip for liveaboard here.

Rowboats will be split one south and one north.

And gasoline is still not triple the price here compared to the rest of the nation. Regardless of how many boats I have where!

Old 03-17-2015, 10:37 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
so how are the poor and working people supposed to get to and from work and go about their daily lives?
Ever heard of a concept called public transportation? Or those two-wheel thingies? Carpool?

Living near where you work?

Last edited by bigdumbgod; 03-17-2015 at 10:46 PM..

Old 03-18-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
A. It is not a competitive product since the state mandates a certain type of fuel that is only available in this state.

B. When the argument against oil companies is profit based, relating the taxes the state receives compared to the evil oil company profits is certainly pertinent.

C. Many other states have a much denser population than California. Yet they somehow manage to have clean air. I wonder if California is the only state with valleys?

D. At least you are special

E. Oregon, Washington, Alaska and most of the east coast!
A. Ummm, how shall I point this out best? What was being referred to wasn't one blend of gas compared to another. What I was pointing out was that the difference in price between gas (any blend) to drive your car in California - and gas to drive your car in other states - is the measure of issue. What portion of each of those prices from state to state is crude, refinery costs, delivery costs, retail markup, or state taxes is entirely immaterial.

B. I haven't made any arguments one way or another about oil company profits. It's also immaterial to this discussion. Only thing that matters is price at the pump and difference of whatever that is compared to other places. And, once again, as pointed out previously, if the difference is small, then it's silly to get wound up about. There is always a highest price and lowest price of any competitive products (there we go again). If the difference is small, etc.

C. Please report to the readers here what states you find that have the pollution problems of California. There's more to the "valley" problem than just valleys. Has to do with a total geographic / atmospheric dynamic that traps the pollution in our valleys. Go ahead. Find another place with the same problem in America that also has lots of population, pollution, traffic, and industry causing similar problems. We'll wait. And if you do find one (you won't) that doesn't have strict pollution control management, check out the area health statistics.

D. I am special. Yes. Thank you for the acknowledgement!

E. Hey. All I was doing was supporting your own comment!

Old 03-19-2015, 08:31 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
E. Ski and surf in one day! Where else?!
We haven't been able to use this argument for a few years now. At least if you're talking about cross-country skiing. Maybe you're referring to water skiing, that would work.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
We haven't been able to use this argument for a few years now. At least if you're talking about cross-country skiing. Maybe you're referring to water skiing, that would work.
Um, of course, it was a joke. If you read the preceding posts in context you'll get it.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:32 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

C. Many other states have a much denser population than California. Yet they somehow manage to have clean air. I wonder if California is the only state with valleys?
You haven't lived in CA long enough to remember how badly polluted the air in LA was. All the regulations were developed in response to the bad air in LA, which is surrounded by mountains that keep the air trapped a good part of the time, like Mexico City, which had a hideous air pollution problem until they finally made efforts to clean it up and do some prevention. LA at the time had the densest population in the US outside of NYC and possibly Chicago, neither of which, you may note, are in a valley surrounded by mountains.

Prior to air quality regs being enacted, people all over the state incinerated much of their trash, to save on landfill fees. Landfill also became an issue in places like SF Bay, which enacted Save-The-Bay legislation to prevent further Bay shrinkage. I heard there were days in LA when the air was considered not safe to breathe, and people with respiratory issues were urged to stay indoors. This was a thing, smog warnings.

So once these regs were put in place, pollution devices were required for cars, incineration was banned, etc., the LA air started to improve. This is a great achievement. Don't scoff. CA has continued to be a leader on this score, not only for the US, but globally. Quality of life, quality of air and water, don't come free. People envy what they perceive to be the European lifestyle, but it's not free. It's paid for by hefty taxes. Pollution control has a price, whether you're a corporation or an individual. Like it or lump it.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:52 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You haven't lived in CA long enough to remember how badly polluted the air in LA was. All the regulations were developed in response to the bad air in LA, which is surrounded by mountains that keep the air trapped a good part of the time, like Mexico City, which had a hideous air pollution problem until they finally made efforts to clean it up and do some prevention. LA at the time had the densest population in the US outside of NYC and possibly Chicago, neither of which, you may note, are in a valley surrounded by mountains.

Prior to air quality regs being enacted, people all over the state incinerated much of their trash, to save on landfill fees. Landfill also became an issue in places like SF Bay, which enacted Save-The-Bay legislation to prevent further Bay shrinkage. I heard there were days in LA when the air was considered not safe to breathe, and people with respiratory issues were urged to stay indoors. This was a thing, smog warnings.

So once these regs were put in place, pollution devices were required for cars, incineration was banned, etc., the LA air started to improve. This is a great achievement. Don't scoff. CA has continued to be a leader on this score, not only for the US, but globally. Quality of life, quality of air and water, don't come free. People envy what they perceive to be the European lifestyle, but it's not free. It's paid for by hefty taxes. Pollution control has a price, whether you're a corporation or an individual. Like it or lump it.
The nation wide regulations are enough everywhere else in the USA. I am not saying no regulations, I am saying keeping our regulations in line with the rest of the usa. On top of that, we can get rid of the carb regulations that actually have no affect on air pollution, such as limiting aftermarket parts for your vehicle unless the blackmail, I mean money to carb is paid by the manufacturer. I would even be fine keeping smog checks that were only based on what comes out of the tail pipe and the level of acceptable smog per make/model doesn't change over the years.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
The nation wide regulations are enough everywhere else in the USA. I am not saying no regulations, I am saying keeping our regulations in line with the rest of the usa. On top of that, we can get rid of the carb regulations that actually have no affect on air pollution, such as limiting aftermarket parts for your vehicle unless the blackmail, I mean money to carb is paid by the manufacturer. I would even be fine keeping smog checks that were only based on what comes out of the tail pipe and the level of acceptable smog per make/model doesn't change over the years.
No. You've just been reminded that conditions in some densely populated parts of California are NOT the same as the rest of the nation. Which completely justifies the difference in regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California