Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 06:51 PM

595 posts, read 560,504 times

Advertisements

So I'm gathering hippies road into the sunset to California, found farmland, and then got pushed out by antisocial techies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 07:33 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboibob View Post
So I'm gathering hippies road into the sunset to California, found farmland, and then got pushed out by antisocial techies.
That would be "rode" bob.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:42 PM

595 posts, read 560,504 times
We got ourselves a e-stalker

Old 06-11-2015, 10:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
Talk about selective memory! California is a far better place now then back in the 80s, 90s, 00s. There were lots of neighborhoods that no one dare to enter. Most people were afraid of taking 110 freeway. People would stay on the freeway instead of getting off to fill up their tank. Thank God the raiders left LA.
The NFL football team neither committed foul deeds amongst the SoCal populace, nor instructed or incited any such behavior while they were down there. A deity probably need not be bothered about it.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:29 PM

117 posts, read 149,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
From the 50's through the 80's, IMO, it was...heaven. Public school education was excellent. Public university education was truly possible and affordable. You did not have to sell your soul to buy a home. The beach, mountains desert, cities, amazing natural beauty... in one state! Work was plentiful. San Diego in the 70's was...cheap!!! I could go on & on, but I don't feel like crying just now...
Of all the responses the above most accurately describes California, the real California and how it was. This was the California I grew up in, went to school in and went off to college in. When I started at a Cal-State in 1984 my semester tuition by itself was right at $350.00. I wasn't from well-off parents but I could manage to pay the tuition fom savings and my part-time jobs. I have no idea what has happened since then.

I could go off on a long speech as to what has happened to this state but most of what I would say many of you are aware of them. There are many identifiable things that have caused the decline of this state but unfortunately it's not popular to discuss them.

There was a time when I felt safe and that I actually lived in a very patriotic and middle America place. That's all gone. Everyone, no matter who they were, we're all on the same wavelength. And now, when I go out into public, whether it's to a restaurant, the doctor, or a trip to Wal-Mart, I feel like I'm in some foreign land. I now look out and see a landscape that reminds of a third world country.

I'm sure there are going to be some of you that will disagree with me and no doubt it will be because you led a very narrow existence in this state or refuse to see and admit what's happening. If you are a young person I can only discourage you from coming here with the intent of making this state your permanent residence. Alas, if you are young you see things differently than me and don't have the experience or have seen the changes which would give you pause and be a warning sign of how your future may be.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:04 PM

426 posts, read 423,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The NFL football team neither committed foul deeds amongst the SoCal populace, nor instructed or incited any such behavior while they were down there. A deity probably need not be bothered about it.
Oh shut up. Have you been to raider games during the 80-90s? The raiders will forever be tried to the bangers in LA. Black bangers and Mexican bangers have one thing in common, their love for the silver and black. I dont want these roaches to ever come out in LA.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:59 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Place View Post
Of all the responses the above most accurately describes California, the real California and how it was. This was the California I grew up in, went to school in and went off to college in. When I started at a Cal-State in 1984 my semester tuition by itself was right at $350.00. I wasn't from well-off parents but I could manage to pay the tuition fom savings and my part-time jobs. I have no idea what has happened since then.

I could go off on a long speech as to what has happened to this state but most of what I would say many of you are aware of them. There are many identifiable things that have caused the decline of this state but unfortunately it's not popular to discuss them.

There was a time when I felt safe and that I actually lived in a very patriotic and middle America place. That's all gone. Everyone, no matter who they were, we're all on the same wavelength. And now, when I go out into public, whether it's to a restaurant, the doctor, or a trip to Wal-Mart, I feel like I'm in some foreign land. I now look out and see a landscape that reminds of a third world country.

I'm sure there are going to be some of you that will disagree with me and no doubt it will be because you led a very narrow existence in this state or refuse to see and admit what's happening. If you are a young person I can only discourage you from coming here with the intent of making this state your permanent residence. Alas, if you are young you see things differently than me and don't have the experience or have seen the changes which would give you pause and be a warning sign of how your future may be.
Too true. I grew up in OC and it was paradise then. Once the 70's ended and people started flooding in, it started to became what it is today. Still great weather but nothing like it was. For the young; come here if you have talent and make money and when you are ready to leave you will be in very good shape if you used your income wisely and bought at least one nice home. Which is why so many native Californians have left.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:47 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
Back in the 70s it was really different. There was this wacky Governor named Jerry Brown and ....oh wait. Nevermind.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:46 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Too true. I grew up in OC and it was paradise then. Once the 70's ended and people started flooding in, it started to became what it is today. Still great weather but nothing like it was. For the young; come here if you have talent and make money and when you are ready to leave you will be in very good shape if you used your income wisely and bought at least one nice home. Which is why so many native Californians have left.
People started to flood in to Orange County during the 70's? Or just the people you happen not to like started to flood in during the 70's....

Orange County population:
1950: 216,000
1960: 703,000
1970: 1,420,000
1980: 1,932,000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange...a#Demographics

Old 06-14-2015, 06:02 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
People started to flood in to Orange County during the 70's? Or just the people you happen not to like started to flood in during the 70's....

Orange County population:
1950: 216,000
1960: 703,000
1970: 1,420,000
1980: 1,932,000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange...a#Demographics
Well lets just say the new ones coming in then, started the end of open space, created more crowded cities and worse traffic. OC did not grow, the population did and to a point that it changed life in OC. Who it was is immaterial as by then I lived in SD County.

OC kept growing:

1990: 2,410,556
2000: 2,846,289
2010: 3,010,232

OK 4 times the 1960 population and over 2 X the 1970 population. and still ......... growing.

Yep the 70's ushered in a change. Yes the change between 1950 and 1960 and 1960 to 1970 was a large percentage, but not that big a people number for the area of OC. There was lots of room, now there isn't.

When I was a kid in Fullerton our neighborhood had orange groves around it as did virtually all new neighborhoods as they went in. The Coyote Hills were empty of people and the traffic was no big thing. As time progressed the groves were gone and now the hills are covered with houses and traffic is far heavier.

The area Eest of Corona Del Mar was ..... the Irvine ranch with virtually NO homes, now it is solid all the way East. In Costa mesa, where I lived as a teen, traffic was a non issue and the freeway (55) was a way off and now it runs right into town and traffic backs up in Summer onto the freeway, where in the 60's the worst traffic day traffic backed up maybe to the Hoag Hospital light.

Between Costa Mesa and Santa Ana were cultivated fields, now there is what?

The 1970's were still Ok until towards the end but if you lived there you saw the change. It has just gotten worse.

How many orange groves are there in Orange County now?

Last edited by expatCA; 06-14-2015 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California