Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 02:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,023 times

Advertisements

Hi! Im 28 years old and I decided I want to move to Fresno or Clovis. I'm tired of living in this city its very expensive. I need some advice, I currently have an Associate's Degree in science. I graduated as a medical assistant last semester so I'm still looking for a job. Im planning to get experience In the next year as medical assistant. I currently work full time in retail. I have 8 years experience in retail management, and planning on getting a nursing degree soon. Can someone advice me on what could be the best city to live around Fresno, in regards affordability, employment, schools and also social life? Thank you!

Last edited by naye0053; 03-25-2015 at 03:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 02:04 AM

979 posts, read 2,084,273 times
Why not move to Sacramento instead? It offers more job opportunities, amenities, and better social scene than Fresno.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:58 AM

3,951 posts, read 7,168,477 times
Moving from Monterey to Fresno will be one MAJOR adjustment for you!

Old 03-29-2015, 11:48 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,715,082 times
You could try Riverside or Sacramento over Fresno.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:59 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,470,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Moving from Monterey to Fresno will be one MAJOR adjustment for you!
Moving from Monterey to any town or city in the Central Valley (from Redding to Bakersfield) will be a major adjustment. I know, I did it in 2008... and still don't like it.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,548 times
It seems no one has actually answered your question. In terms of affordability, the further north you go in the metropolitan area, the more affluent the area is. Rents and home prices are generally higher in Clovis for a comparable home than in some parts of Fresno because the school district is rated as one of the best in the state and is a major draw for families trying to relocate there. The state's newest medical school is located in Clovis currently, but plans to build a permanent campus in Millerton (part of which is designated as Fresno and part of which is Clovis.) The School of Pharmacy and the coming 4 other schools that will be part of the California Health Science University will be a major draw and a huge asset to the region.

Fresno is a huge city and has a lot of distinct neighborhoods. If you're looking for an urban/hip vibe, downtown or the tower district will be a great spot (lots of things to do at night/weekends and lots of local restaurants and bars). However, be warned that if you want a nice place downtown or in the tower, you'll pay a premium ($1200-1500) for rent. Otherwise, you can find really cheap rent but not in a very desirable spot.

For more of a homey feel, the Fresno High/Roeding neighborhood or the Huntington Neighborhoods are filled with beautiful homes from the early 1900s, large mature trees, tree lined streets and cool little coffee shops here and there. Also pricier here in terms of rents.

Then you have the suburban neighborhoods in the north, northwest, northeast and southeast that can offer affordable rents in newer homes with access to shopping centers and such. In general, the further north you go, the more expensive rents are, with the exception of the neighborhoods I mentioned above which also have higher rents.

If you want to live within a 20 minute drive, Madera, Selma and Sanger are have great neighborhoods with a really laid back, small town feel to them.

THE BEST PART OF IT ALL: NO TRAFFIC. I travel for work to the Bay Area and to Sacramento often. There's nothing worse for quality of life than spending 10% of your day or more in traffic (2 to 3 hours). I commute from Van Ness/Harvard to work in Southeast Fresno and it takes me 10-12 minutes to get there. For class, I commute from Van Ness/Harvard to Friant/Highway 41 and it takes me 20 minutes during "rush hour". You can't beat that for a metro area of over 1 million.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:08 PM

478 posts, read 679,582 times
Fresno/Clovis has a lot of nice areas. Keep in mind it also has it's bad. It is larger than sacramento being the 5th biggest city? You will have plenty to do.

Fresno has been coming up lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wMm...ature=youtu.be

Once the high speed rail span from the Bay Area to Fresno is done within 10 years (we all hope) housing prices will prob shoot up and I'm going to assume the city will also thrive.

If you are in the medical field, there are plenty of hospitals, nursing homes etc in Fresno.

You can still buy a brand new home built from a dirt lot up to finish 3/2 detached 2 story with yards for under $300K there.
Sacramento is much higher already. Also Fresno is closer to Monterey than Sacramento in case you get home sick and want to visit. If housing prices were the same then I would say Sacramento first, but Sac area is already much higher.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:47 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,699,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
Fresno/Clovis has a lot of nice areas. Keep in mind it also has it's bad. It is larger than sacramento being the 5th biggest city? You will have plenty to do.

Fresno has been coming up lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wMm...ature=youtu.be

Once the high speed rail span from the Bay Area to Fresno is done within 10 years (we all hope) housing prices will prob shoot up and I'm going to assume the city will also thrive.

If you are in the medical field, there are plenty of hospitals, nursing homes etc in Fresno.

You can still buy a brand new home built from a dirt lot up to finish 3/2 detached 2 story with yards for under $300K there.
Sacramento is much higher already. Also Fresno is closer to Monterey than Sacramento in case you get home sick and want to visit. If housing prices were the same then I would say Sacramento first, but Sac area is already much higher.
It's a large city in the middle of nowhere. I don't see it growing expensive.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:51 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,633,028 times
I would look into Sacramento first since it's more cosmopolitan and has a more diverse job market. That being said, Fresno is a diamond in the rough. Most of the major medical offices and facilities are located along Herndon in North Fresno.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,296,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
It's a large city in the middle of nowhere. I don't see it growing expensive.
And hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California