Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 06:03 PM

6 posts, read 10,671 times

Advertisements

Hi Central California wisdom ;
I'm considering moving to Central Coastal California for a Job Opportunity.( I promise to never call it Cali. )ha
Here are the things on my absolutely must have list:
Clean Air , Low Crime , Not college over-run, low wind , mostly sunny vs foggy , Not so hot in the summer that you can't go out. But I'm a native to MN, so I Don't like to be cold.
Central office would likely be in SM ( but I haven't read good reviews about living there ) a commute is going to be different daily.
I can't really live north of Pismo Beach due to extensive travel for job inside SLO county extending down to SB county.
I don't have children, so that is not a concern.
Income would be above 20.00 hr. / single income living /
Love to be able to walk on the beach, safely, and not have to drive TOO long (over 20 min is too long ) to get there.
Not looking to buy a home/ now renting a town-home and happy with it. would be nice to rent a 2-3 BR house tho. no apartment living. (is that even possible there ?)

Interested in Churches in AG area
Love quaint downtown areas with quaint shops/ art /culture /creativity / good restaurants/ cafes
Warm heart'd people / veer toward conservative vs liberal

I know this list is long. I'm trying to give a picture of what i'm looking for not expecting all to be 'perfect'
'happy' can be achieved anywhere, it's a state of mind/ heart.
Safety is no.1
from the forums I've read re: central coast living. Everyone sounds really nice and polite and helpful.

I'm a quiet person, like to read, love music , writer, hiker, adventurer
over 50 y/o
Any comments / opinions appreciated.
My closest fit is ArroyoGrande or Pismo Beach. What'ya think?

Last edited by jackieb63; 03-28-2015 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: change greeting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 10:05 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieb63 View Post
Hi Central California wisdom ;
I'm considering moving to Central Coastal California for a Job Opportunity.( I promise to never call it Cali. )ha
Here are the things on my absolutely must have list:
Clean Air , Low Crime , Not college over-run, low wind , mostly sunny vs foggy , Not so hot in the summer that you can't go out. But I'm a native to MN, so I Don't like to be cold.
Central office would likely be in SM ( but I haven't read good reviews about living there ) a commute is going to be different daily.
I can't really live north of Pismo Beach due to extensive travel for job inside SLO county extending down to SB county.
I don't have children, so that is not a concern.
Income would be above 20.00 hr. / single income living /
Love to be able to walk on the beach, safely, and not have to drive TOO long (over 20 min is too long ) to get there.
Not looking to buy a home/ now renting a town-home and happy with it. would be nice to rent a 2-3 BR house tho. no apartment living. (is that even possible there ?)

Interested in Churches in AG area
Love quaint downtown areas with quaint shops/ art /culture /creativity / good restaurants/ cafes
Warm heart'd people / veer toward conservative vs liberal

I know this list is long. I'm trying to give a picture of what i'm looking for not expecting all to be 'perfect'
'happy' can be achieved anywhere, it's a state of mind/ heart.
Safety is no.1
from the forums I've read re: central coast living. Everyone sounds really nice and polite and helpful.

I'm a quiet person, like to read, love music , writer, hiker, adventurer
over 50 y/o
Any comments / opinions appreciated.
My closest fit is ArroyoGrande or Pismo Beach. What'ya think?
$20hr is pretty good if you chose to live in Grover Beach or Arroyo Grande. I make less than that and can get by.

As for churches, I don't really like any of the churches in Five Cities because they are more old school and don't have alot of young professionals attending. I prefer going to church in San Luis or Santa Maria which isn't far.

As for differences in Grover and AG, Grover is a bit more urban where as AG is more spread out. Grover is a bit more progressive while AG is more conservative.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:01 PM

Thank you for your feedback . much appreciated . !

Old 03-30-2015, 07:35 PM

6 posts, read 11,534 times
Sounds like AG would be a perfect fit for you!

Old 04-04-2015, 12:41 AM

139 posts, read 360,070 times
You mentioned you don't like wind. The San Luis Obispo to Santa Maria area (in fact the entire central coast) can be pretty windy on many days. And if you live or work anywhere from Arroyo Grande to Santa Maria, you will be inhaling dust from all the pickup trucks and ATV's that tear up the sand dunes at the Pismo Dunes which gets picked up by the wind and travels inland. Not to mention the noise from those things with their loud exhausts that add to ruining an otherwise very nice area.
It's just a matter of time till they ban all those things from tearing up the dunes. Tomorrow can't be soon enough.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:33 AM

Sounds awful.! thank you for your honest comment.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieb63 View Post
Sounds awful.! thank you for your honest comment.
Uh I don't think it's as bad as the original poster made it out to be. Yes we do have some windy days, but I'd say no more than any other coastal area. I don't think the dust from the dunes is that big of an issue all though I do think all the ATVs on the dunes is very annoying and draws the wrong type of tourists to the area.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:02 PM

thank you for a different opinion. Well put.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 918 times
We are considering moving to the central coast due to my daughters asthma, we are moving from Bakersfield. Curious on raising kids here and the air quality. We are looking for a very family oriented town with amenities of a bigger city.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarshmovin View Post
We are considering moving to the central coast due to my daughters asthma, we are moving from Bakersfield. Curious on raising kids here and the air quality. We are looking for a very family oriented town with amenities of a bigger city.
There really isn't much of a choice when it comes to cities with big city amenities. There is the richer cities-San Luis Obispo, Monterey, and Santa Barbara. Then there is Santa Maria and Salinas. Lompoc, Atascadero, Goleta, and Seaside are notable choices because they are in close proximity to one of the more urban centers of the Central Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California