Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:44 AM

37,083 posts, read 42,050,241 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to leave because of this but I think it would be beneficial if a bunch of people did. I don't want to see anyone driven out, but for people on the fence about relocating already it might be the push they need to get gone. Unfortunately we can't pick and choose who decides to go .

Sometimes I think about cashing out to go somewhere else but everything is keeping me here since it's the only place I've ever lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 09:53 AM

42,757 posts, read 26,009,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Exactly, leftists are worried about population, except when it entails bringing in millions of illegal immigrants, then no problems at all. Also, they pay reduced water rates under CA's low income utility provisions, so again, no worries right?
You must stay up at night dreaming up this nonsense. Why is it that you can't have a conversation about a subject that is relevant to all of us without falling back on all the "leftist" nonsense. The millions of undocumented people in the US has been allowed and tolerated by BOTH political parties due to pressure (and campaign contributions) from agribusiness and the building trades who wanted to benefit from cheap labor. Building fences won't stop it because people do not cross that border to enjoy the sunny beaches in Ca. (they have their own) they come here because employers have put out a welcome mat. The only thing that would have stopped it would have been aggressively going after and arresting employers who hire them, but somehow that never happened and most likely never will happen.

And I know how it must feel when history destroys most of your argument, but both Reagan and Bush protected millions of undocumented people from deportation Reagan And Bush Made Immigration Executive Orders - Business Insider

As far as reduced water rates; not very many municipalities offer any rate reductions for water, most are limited to gas and electric subsidies. Low-Income Energy Programs in California - LIHEAP Clearinghouse

Old 04-03-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
I am just not paying fines, that simple. They can come arrest me. I will pay my water bill but no tacked on fines.

I won't be dealing with anything, I graduate from CSUN this year and I'm gone. My parents are moving to AZ for retirement too so I have no family in state. I have love what California was, but not for what it is. I couldn't care what happens. The "people" of California have really brought this upon themselves by making bad voting decisions and letting the whole state turn into one big ultra leftist hell hole. Anything that happens to the State of California would be deserved to be quite honest.
If you get arrested you won't be leaving California for awhile, huh? So that seems to be a rather self-defeating strategy.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:09 AM

6,323 posts, read 6,981,006 times
We went through a similar experience in the Northwest during the drought of 2000 with electricity. The Northwest was running short of electricity particularly in western Washington and Oregon as well as California that year.

The NorthWest had lots of aluminum smelters that used "excess" electrical power. They actually used 1/3 of the electriity generated by the Columbia River dams. They were mostly dependent on Federal power. So the solution was to "buy out" their electrical rights and pay the workers their salary for NOT working.

I have a friend that got paid a good union wage by the Federal Government for not working until the age of 55. Then he shifted to a pension. It was a great deal for him.

It was a bad deal for the rural communities that had smelters and the good paying jobs. However, the wage payments did help the economic impact in those communities.

And of course, California, Seattle, Eugene and other urban areas got the cheap Federal electricity with the aluminum smelters gone.

So I see a similar situation playing out in California. The state will buy the water rights from the irrigation districts and transfer the water to the urban areas. The farmers and farm workers will get some aid for a "transition". My guess is that there will be a slow migration back to Mexico in many communities.

Of course, this assumes we are going back to historical weather patterns in California. AND by historical I mean prior to this century!!

The impacts to California will be much less than people think, unless your a farmer dependent on Federal, state or ground water in the Central Valley. There will be fewer farmers, but they will be using water much more efficiently and for higher value crops.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:27 AM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 535,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you get arrested you won't be leaving California for awhile, huh? So that seems to be a rather self-defeating strategy.
They don't arrest people for water violations, this isn't 1984 by Orwell..I was being facetious. I refuse to pay though it's stupid. Not my problem or my fault.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:38 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,759,961 times
If the drought continues, the state will have to force/subsidize farmers to fallow some of the thirstiest crops. Since agriculture uses 80% of the water in California, there is only so much that can be achieved by asking residents to reduce their usage. Even if every man, woman, and child cuts their use by half (which is unlikely to be achievable), that will only reduce overall consumption by 10%, which is nowhere near enough.

The farmers will scream bloody murder and argue that they are being treated unfairly, but it's simple math: they use almost all of the water, and they are outnumbered by urban residents by what, a thousand to one or more?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:47 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,050,003 times
Quote:
It is not my fault that we didn't build Desal plants 30 years ago like we should have because environmentalists and people worrying about the extinction of a stupid fish like the delta smelt. I am not suffering for their stupidity.

Just because people/politicians/policies are stupid doesn't mean you have carte blanche to compound on the issue.

Grow up!

Old 04-03-2015, 10:50 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,097,932 times
Of course it is! California is a desert, and a highly earthquake prone one at that! It was never intended to be habitable, much less the most populated state with the most agriculture upon which so much of the country depends. Talk about swimming against the current (irony).

Old 04-03-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
They don't arrest people for water violations, this isn't 1984 by Orwell..I was being facetious. I refuse to pay though it's stupid. Not my problem or my fault.
me too

Old 04-03-2015, 11:06 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,793,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Of course it is! California is a desert, and a highly earthquake prone one at that! It was never intended to be habitable, much less the most populated state with the most agriculture upon which so much of the country depends. Talk about swimming against the current (irony).
Intended? What entity determines habitability? There are limits to the region's carrying capacity, but we might surmise that a few people can live in CA. Even in San Dimas, if they are so inclined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California