Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 06:27 AM

297 posts, read 1,033,106 times

Advertisements

With the drought ongoing in California and water rationing in effect has anyone thought about relocating for that reason?

California is overpopulated and I'm sure if 2-3 million people spread to other parts of the country (or elsewhere) it would ease the burden on the state's limited water supply.

Plus the drought will have an impact on property values as it goes on so if you're an owner that might be something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 07:48 AM

4,510 posts, read 6,751,553 times
It will affect property values. There are parts of California where wells have run dry and there is no water. Those homes are nearly worthless. However, as has been reported 2/3 or so of the usage is for agriculture. That has to be addressed and water-conserving farming techniques need to be employed. Heirloom crops with deeper roots can reduce water consumption but would affect the types of crops grown. BigAg's use of fertilizer-dependent monoculture crops has strained the health and use of our water resources. Our country needs a national resource conservation plan.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:57 AM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 535,153 times
Other states would guard their borders and not let us in!

Basically, this is what happens when you build mega cities in the desert. I am not surprised, although I am conscientiously refusing to comply with rationing due to my own feelings in regards to environmental regulations. Not paying the fines either. Gonna water my lawn as per course. I refuse to suffer because of the bad planning of our government.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:09 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,049,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
Other states would guard their borders and not let us in!

Basically, this is what happens when you build mega cities in the desert. I am not surprised, although I am conscientiously refusing to comply with rationing due to my own feelings in regards to environmental regulations. Not paying the fines either. Gonna water my lawn as per course. I refuse to suffer because of the bad planning of our government.
Dude, you have a bad, me me me, attitude.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Dude, you have a bad, me me me, attitude.
It is not my fault that we didn't build Desal plants 30 years ago like we should have because environmentalists and people worrying about the extinction of a stupid fish like the delta smelt. I am not suffering for their stupidity.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:23 AM

42,757 posts, read 26,002,909 times
Quote:
It is not my fault that we didn't build Desal plants 30 years ago like we should have because environmentalists and people worrying about the extinction of a stupid fish like the delta smelt. I am not suffering for their stupidity.
your words are just that..words. You will suffer along with everyone, you can't exempt yourself from increases in water rates or fines for violating watering rules. Desalination is not the panacea that you might think, it's expensive and uses a great deal of energy. And some of those 'stupid fish' are actually microorganism and zooplankton that keep our oceans healthy. There is also the problem of discharge of treated water, it has twice the salt of regular ocean water- if you just dump it out in the ocean you are creating new problems.

Unless this drought is a short term aberration, I'm sure we will begin to build desal plants and probably waive environmental regulations in order to do so quickly, but seriously all this chest pounding about how you are just going to take your toys and go home because this isn't "your fault" is more than just a little childish.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:28 AM

42,757 posts, read 26,002,909 times
For anyone considering leaving California because of water rationing- I have a suggestion for you, move to Northern Nevada. I spent 14 years there and for at least the last 10 years we had very strict rationing, and the rate structure was designed to make you suffer if you used any more than the lowest tier. We could only water twice a week, we had rules about water running down the street, etc. But unlike most parts of California where people blatantly ignore the regulations, it was enforced there; someone would drive down every street at least once a week and ticket violators.

You live with it, you get used to it and it really doesn't impact your life you just get smarter about using water. We installed drip irrigation, we changed sprinkler heads in our lawn to avoid waste when it was windy and we waited to use the dishwasher until it was full.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:29 AM

471 posts, read 598,637 times
Quote:
Exactly, leftists are worried about population, except when it entails bringing in millions of illegal immigrants, then no problems at all. Also, they pay reduced water rates under CA's low income utility provisions, so again, no worries right?

Funny how you can have a lush metropolis like Dubai with virtually no water at all, you know, except the giant sea they border, kind of like we border the Pacific Ocean.

Big Ag uses more than 80% of the water in the state, but accounts for a small percentage 2-3% of GDP, and yet, all the punishments, I mean "mandatory reductions" are aimed at the 20% of residential and small users. So essentially a 5% reduction, but with lots of pain for the little guy. That's something that leftists always seem to enjoy.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:33 AM

471 posts, read 598,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
For anyone considering leaving California because of water rationing- I have a suggestion for you, move to Northern Nevada. I spent 14 years there and for at least the last 10 years we had very strict rationing, and the rate structure was designed to make you suffer if you used any more than the lowest tier. We could only water twice a week, we had rules about water running down the street, etc. But unlike most parts of California where people blatantly ignore the regulations, it was enforced there; someone would drive down every street at least once a week and ticket violators.

You live with it, you get used to it and it really doesn't impact your life you just get smarter about using water. We installed drip irrigation, we changed sprinkler heads in our lawn to avoid waste when it was windy and we waited to use the dishwasher until it was full.
But what you don't seem to understand, is all this does little to nothing to help the water situation in CA.

Sure these measures feel good, but they do nothing to advance society. Rationing is a symptom of a broken and unproductive system. You can't ration your way to prosperity, it only draws out the pain and suffering.

You must increase the water supply. That is very achievable. Lush megacities in the desert have been built, see Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Muscat, etc, its simply a matter of trying to live in the 21st century, using and developing technology, rather than employing 19th century water management methods.

Ignoring the big giant ocean, while screaming, "there's no water", is the cry of an ignorant and repressed generation who will slowly fade into collapse.

Last edited by GoldenZephyr; 04-03-2015 at 09:43 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
your words are just that..words. You will suffer along with everyone, you can't exempt yourself from increases in water rates or fines for violating watering rules. Desalination is not the panacea that you might think, it's expensive and uses a great deal of energy. And some of those 'stupid fish' are actually microorganism and zooplankton that keep our oceans healthy. There is also the problem of discharge of treated water, it has twice the salt of regular ocean water- if you just dump it out in the ocean you are creating new problems.

Unless this drought is a short term aberration, I'm sure we will begin to build desal plants and probably waive environmental regulations in order to do so quickly, but seriously all this chest pounding about how you are just going to take your toys and go home because this isn't "your fault" is more than just a little childish.
I am just not paying fines, that simple. They can come arrest me. I will pay my water bill but no tacked on fines.

I won't be dealing with anything, I graduate from CSUN this year and I'm gone. My parents are moving to AZ for retirement too so I have no family in state. I have love what California was, but not for what it is. I couldn't care what happens. The "people" of California have really brought this upon themselves by making bad voting decisions and letting the whole state turn into one big ultra leftist hell hole. Anything that happens to the State of California would be deserved to be quite honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California