Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 10:53 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking which major California city has the best weather. All of it is perfect to me being in the south so I want to see what local Californian natives thought? Right now it's 58 degrees where I'm at and I'm like "damn this weather is perfect" then I thought "well is this teaddmp daily in coastal California.

I'm going to add Oakland to the list

Last edited by afdinatl; 04-05-2015 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: adding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 11:00 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
San Diego has the most even temperature and is generally considered the best. Los Angeles is generally warmer than the other two year round, San Francisco is generally wetter and cooler (and foggier). All three are very mild compared to the rest of the country. Also, there are micro-climates in all three that can greatly affect the weather or temperatures depending on proximity to the ocean or being in sheltered location (that gets warmer).

Old 04-05-2015, 11:11 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Oakland has better weather than all of them.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:25 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
That's like asking what's the best ice cream. The best weather is the one you prefer.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:59 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
1/ Overall, San Diego, generally speaking
2/ Southern California, if you can live by the coast/beaches. Most inland areas are just too hot.
3/ Bay Area, I prefer the inner East Bay communities (Oakland, Alameda, Fremont) or communities on the Peninsula (such as San Mateo or Palo Alto)

Last edited by ccm123; 04-05-2015 at 07:12 PM..

Old 04-05-2015, 07:06 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
San Diego has the most even temperature and is generally considered the best. Los Angeles is generally warmer than the other two year round, San Francisco is generally wetter and cooler (and foggier). All three are very mild compared to the rest of the country. Also, there are micro-climates in all three that can greatly affect the weather or temperatures depending on proximity to the ocean or being in sheltered location (that gets warmer).

The climate is nearly identical in San Diego and Los Angeles. San Diego gets a bit less rain, otherwise the climate is the same. Distance from the coast will lead to more extreme temps in both places.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:12 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,493 times
My vote is the L.A. or San Diego area about 5 to 10 miles from the coast. Prefer sunnier and warm weather as opposed to the chilly, foggy Pacific.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:31 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Compared to the rest of the country they are all good. Of course, as mentioned, they all have micro-climates where temps can actually vary quite a bit on the same day (60-95+ degrees) depending on 'where' in any of these areas you live. 'Best' is relative to the person's own preferences. Some like it hotter and would live in the desert if given the choice while others like it more mild or even a bit on cooler side (~60s).

If just looking at the numbers and cost of real estate (demand) the coast is 'generally' the most moderate and desirable (expensive). The exception may be SF where it can get relatively cold with fog and wind even in the Summer. In LA, it will be 60ish in June sometimes due to June gloom. Then head inland toward downtown and East LA and it will be downright hot (90s+)! Same is true coastal SD and SF as you head east - it gets warmer. When there is a heatwave and it hits triple digits in eastern areas the coast may get into the 80s. Overall, I'll take 60s over 90s any day and that's my preference. You may have a different preference.

People here are a bit like weather connoisseurs, being very picky about it being just right for them. This is much more noticeable if you have lived anywhere else and then hear someone complaining about it being cold if there is a 'slight' breeze and in the 60s. I'm the opposite and start to melt once the temps get into the mid 80s+. After living at the coast I just do not like the heat at all. Since I like to do a lot of outdoor sports I prefer it to not be too hot. I actually like to fog, for example, when I'm hiking the coastal mountains. It's very refreshing. But I have also lived in more extreme climates, so I realize when I'm being picky.

Here's a good example from today in the 60s along the coast with some soothing fog:

Versus last week which was a bit too hot for hiking mid-day, though still beautiful out (upper 70s):

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-05-2015 at 08:45 PM..

Old 04-05-2015, 08:34 PM

117 posts, read 155,036 times
Eastbay
LA
SF
SD

Old 04-06-2015, 12:21 AM

26 posts, read 33,147 times
If you like rain, SoCal's weather can actually be considered horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California