U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 03:36 PM

28,258 posts, read 26,226,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The whole thing is meaningless. Notice they don't really count south Asians as "Asians" (except in the food section), not to mention the significant Tibetan presence in each area.
But it's not clear they discounted them. They only mention Koreans, Chinese, Japanese and Filipino when talking about cuisine as well.

Quote:
I don't know about Indians and Pakistanis, but I'm pretty sure that hip hop and R & B aren't their thing.
And why are you pretty sure about that? A lot of South Asians dig bhangra but that doesn't mean they don't dig hip hop and R&B too.

Quote:
Afghans (Iranians, Iraqis, etc.) weren't even mentioned.
Well, they're technically not Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 09:03 PM

78,603 posts, read 70,482,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, they're technically not Asians.
Afghans technically aren't Asians? What are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee;
And why are you pretty sure about that? A lot of South Asians dig bhangra but that doesn't mean they don't dig hip hop and R&B too.
A higher percentage of them are relatively new immigrants, so they're not as Americanized as the large number of East Asians who have been in CA for generations. So they're not into Black culture/music so much. Others whose families have been here for generations may well be. A few Tibetans are into rap/hip hop, but it's a very small percentage.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:09 PM

9,809 posts, read 7,701,113 times
Quote:

A higher percentage of them are relatively new immigrants, so they're not as Americanized as the large number of East Asians who have been in CA for generations. So they're not into Black culture/music so much. Others whose families have been here for generations may well be. A few Tibetans are into rap/hip hop, but it's a very small percentage.
lol European?

Old 04-08-2015, 02:24 AM

117 posts, read 103,427 times
I don't know if this is PC but, they're Middle-Eastern.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:17 AM

774 posts, read 1,614,760 times
Default So interesting!

So interesting ... and thank you!

I think this shows how different subsequent generations of, "Gen X and Gen Next-ers") are from their Boomer and older generations. You younger generations are more secure in openly discussing your culture. Older generations kept the cards much closer to their chest.

1.) I'm born and raised Northern California, but I some of my relatives lived in L.A.

The changes you speak of are only natural because THE CULTURE of the two areas are different. (As stated.) Here's a few things some of the comments brought to my mind:

Someone said that NorCal Asians are MUCH more violent.
Well, doesn't that speak to the demographics ... as well as the job market... which is much tighter in NorCal?
NorCal has a lot of Filipinos and Cambodians in concentrated areas.
The crime rate in Daily City (Filipinos) and in Oakland (Cambodians) reflect this.

A close Japanese friend of mine explained that out of all ethnic Asian communities, Cambodians have had the toughest time with academic performance and integration into the job market. It's concluded that this is a result of the HUGE amount of trauma in that community as a result of The Killing Fields. (Self-soothing/ self medicating.)

And Filipinos hold a unique position in that they look "Asian" and are ethnically mixed with "Austronesian" and Chinese, but their religion is Catholic (Western cultural influence) and many last names are Spanish. This leads for a very different cultural mindset. This seems to have a decidedly different effect on the CULTURE ... regarding violence, sexuality, and attitude.

The old crime families (i.e. clans of the Triads) seemed to have kept violence much more beneath the surface and it seemed that much of it was focused within the community and as defense against violence that came at it from outside the community. They conducted business differently than newer criminals who follow the U.S. "Gang" trends. I may be wrong on this...

2.) Next, people kept mentioning dress, and Hip Hop, and the handshakes and the music,
but no one admitted that these come from African American Culture. ((LOL))

3.) SoCal is much larger than the Bay Area so it's natural for it to have larger Asian communities.
But even though I hear some Chinese scoff at San Francisco's, "China Town," it is so historic that it's hard to argue its importance as a cultural icon within the U.S. psyche.

4.) I'm just glad Asians are here. I'm black and growing up, I've observed the huge contributions Asians have brought.
  • Without the Japanese, there would not have been a "California" as we know it. They went into the Central Valley and sunk wells deeper than anyone and eventually found water. This allowed for the HUGE California agricultural industry.
  • California marks the official end of the Pacific Rim ... so Asians have brought centuries of design with them. Walking through Berkeley, California AND the Peninsula, one sees some of the most beautiful neighborhoods in America. Why? The landscaping is influenced by Asian, Mexican / Spanish, and Scandinavia influences.
  • MUSIC. One of my greatest pleasures used to be going to the annual Japanese Jazz Festival held in Golden Gate Park each year. Watching the ethnic mixture of musicians take the audience through styles of Jazz and eventually blowing our minds with full blown traditional Jazz being played by ancient traditional Asian instruments .... well ... the hybrid effects weren't only glorious, but extremely innovative.
  • Silicon Valley. Not long after the 08' Crash, I was walking through the Stanford campus one day and an older white woman moved her hand across the skyline and asked me if I knew who was recently responsible for keeping the area's economy afloat. I said, "No". She replied ... "Asians."
  • Spirituality. Yes, if our schools wanted to, they could teach Americans of all backgrounds to do math as well as anyone else. But, I think the deep Buddhist, Taoist, Confucius (don't laugh), philosophies that has over time, seeped into many Asian cultures has brought a more stable voice the the multi-ethinic field that the "United States" are.
  • OUR CARS!! When Detroit was sucking our blood during the 70s with lousy cars that came with "Built-in obsolescence, Asian car makers took the opportunity to built a better, cheaper product and changed the market and saved the average Joe from having to buy a new car every three years.

For all this and more... we deeply thank you.

...oh ... and Kung Fu MOVIES!!!

Last edited by veganwriter; 04-08-2015 at 09:28 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 10:24 AM

3,831 posts, read 3,699,139 times
Quote:
There are Chinese all over the Bay Area and beyond. Not to mention the fact that a lot of SF's Chinese don't live in Chinatown. Hello? Do you know any real, live Chinese? Suggesting they all live in Chinatown is outrageous. Ever been to the Richmond district?
I suggested they all lived in Chinatown? Please explain to me where I ever posted that.

I find it quite ironic that the octogenarian grandma is asking the millennial who grew up in the SGV if he knows any "real" Chinese. What an absolute joke.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:08 PM

28,258 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Quote:
They are technically White (according to the U.S. Census). That said, I'm not aware of any push in that community to be lumped with Asians.

Quote:
Are you South Asian/Tibetan?

Old 04-08-2015, 01:21 PM

Location: Work in NYC - Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,304 posts, read 2,194,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
So interesting ... and thank you!

I think this shows how different subsequent generations of, "Gen X and Gen Next-ers") are from their Boomer and older generations. You younger generations are more secure in openly discussing your culture. Older generations kept the cards much closer to their chest.

1.) I'm born and raised Northern California, but I some of my relatives lived in L.A.

The changes you speak of are only natural because THE CULTURE of the two areas are different. (As stated.) Here's a few things some of the comments brought to my mind:

Someone said that NorCal Asians are MUCH more violent.
Well, doesn't that speak to the demographics ... as well as the job market... which is much tighter in NorCal?
NorCal has a lot of Filipinos and Cambodians in concentrated areas.
The crime rate in Daily City (Filipinos) and in Oakland (Cambodians) reflect this.

A close Japanese friend of mine explained that out of all ethnic Asian communities, Cambodians have had the toughest time with academic performance and integration into the job market. It's concluded that this is a result of the HUGE amount of trauma in that community as a result of The Killing Fields. (Self-soothing/ self medicating.)

And Filipinos hold a unique position in that they look "Asian" and are ethnically mixed with "Austronesian" and Chinese, but their religion is Catholic (Western cultural influence) and many last names are Spanish. This leads for a very different cultural mindset. This seems to have a decidedly different effect on the CULTURE ... regarding violence, sexuality, and attitude.

The old crime families (i.e. clans of the Triads) seemed to have kept violence much more beneath the surface and it seemed that much of it was focused within the community and as defense against violence that came at it from outside the community. They conducted business differently than newer criminals who follow the U.S. "Gang" trends. I may be wrong on this...

2.) Next, people kept mentioning dress, and Hip Hop, and the handshakes and the music,
but no one admitted that these come from African American Culture. ((LOL))

3.) SoCal is much larger than the Bay Area so it's natural for it to have larger Asian communities.
But even though I hear some Chinese scoff at San Francisco's, "China Town," it is so historic that it's hard to argue its importance as a cultural icon within the U.S. psyche.

4.) I'm just glad Asians are here. I'm black and growing up, I've observed the huge contributions Asians have brought.
  • Without the Japanese, there would not have been a "California" as we know it. They went into the Central Valley and sunk wells deeper than anyone and eventually found water. This allowed for the HUGE California agricultural industry.
  • California marks the official end of the Pacific Rim ... so Asians have brought centuries of design with them. Walking through Berkeley, California AND the Peninsula, one sees some of the most beautiful neighborhoods in America. Why? The landscaping is influenced by Asian, Mexican / Spanish, and Scandinavia influences.
  • MUSIC. One of my greatest pleasures used to be going to the annual Japanese Jazz Festival held in Golden Gate Park each year. Watching the ethnic mixture of musicians take the audience through styles of Jazz and eventually blowing our minds with full blown traditional Jazz being played by ancient traditional Asian instruments .... well ... the hybrid effects weren't only glorious, but extremely innovative.
  • Silicon Valley. Not long after the 08' Crash, I was walking through the Stanford campus one day and an older white woman moved her hand across the skyline and asked me if I knew who was recently responsible for keeping the area's economy afloat. I said, "No". She replied ... "Asians."
  • Spirituality. Yes, if our schools wanted to, they could teach Americans of all backgrounds to do math as well as anyone else. But, I think the deep Buddhist, Taoist, Confucius (don't laugh), philosophies that has over time, seeped into many Asian cultures has brought a more stable voice the the multi-ethinic field that the "United States" are.
  • OUR CARS!! When Detroit was sucking our blood during the 70s with lousy cars that came with "Built-in obsolescence, Asian car makers took the opportunity to built a better, cheaper product and changed the market and saved the average Joe from having to buy a new car every three years.

For all this and more... we deeply thank you.

...oh ... and Kung Fu MOVIES!!!
And your welcome. Wait I am in East Coast. So never mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California