U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-16-2008, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Mokelumne Hill, CA & El Pescadero, BCS MX.
6,958 posts, read 20,311,268 times
Reputation: 6420

Advertisements

I was talking yesterday with the former director of the Regional Council of Rural Counties and he said that they had statistics that 94% of the population of California lives within 100 miles of the Pacific Ocean. The other 6% of us live in God's country

These forums always have posts about where to live or what's CA like, I though it was interesting how few of us live in most of the rest of CA.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2008, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 86,680,348 times
Reputation: 17645
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I was talking yesterday with the former director of the Regional Council of Rural Counties and he said that they had statistics that 94% of the population of California lives within 100 miles of the Pacific Ocean. The other 6% of us live in God's country

These forums always have posts about where to live or what's CA like, I though it was interesting how few of us live in most of the rest of CA.
A picture helps a little (from NASA) (Click to resize.) Note how industry developed along the railroad tracks diagonally across the San Fernando Valley. The San Gabriels and San Bernardino mountains are somewhat rare as they are oriented east west. Most of earth's mountain ranges are north south.

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Way on the outskirts of LA LA land.
3,040 posts, read 10,810,200 times
Reputation: 1956
Geographically speaking, about half of the state is within 100 miles of the ocean. Much of the other half of the state is public land (Military Bases, BLM, USFS, NPS, etc.), so people don't generally live in those areas. While there is quite a bit of private land on that half of the state, too, most of it is desert, so the limited water resources limit development to some extent. While these aren't the only reasons most Californians live near the ocean, they give an idea of some of the reasons.

I would venture to say that the percentage of people who live within 150 miles of either Los Angeles or San Francisco is probably only slightly lower, perhaps around 85-90 percent. I don't have any figure on this, but would not be at all surprised if it were so. Most of California's population centers are within that 150 mile radius of those two cities, which is the reason for my thinking behind this theory. I think Fresno is about the only large city (>250,000 population) in California that isn't with 150 miles of either of those cities.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top