Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali4life80 View Post
So basically liberals are hated because they fear the gun shot they heard might have killed someone or that the mines may be causing cancer and killing off people. Oh no!! Those pesty liberal, californians. Damn them for caring about human beings.
No doubt...maybe every state needs more Californians??

Oh yeah and those pesky Californians also want fitness centers, healthy food and tired of having a church on every block of the neighborhood...man they suck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,024,959 times
This thread has become a fluffy cheerleading session.

Anytime someone posts a comment about the original topic of the thread and why people in other states may have certain perceptions about Californians along comes "rah-rah California's great, yeah, yeah..."

Nothing wrong with being proud of where you are from, but nothing wrong with other people being proud of where they are from either.

And I guess maybe the cheerleading might be insightful as to why other states think so many Californians are obnoxiously loyal??

Last edited by Niners fan; 01-24-2008 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 01-24-2008, 09:00 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
This thread has become a fluffy cheerleading session.

Anytime someone posts a comment about the original topic of the thread and why people in other states may have certain perceptions about Californians along comes "rah-rah California's great, yeah, yeah..."

Nothing wrong with being proud of where you are from, but nothing wrong with other people being proud of where they are from either.

And I guess maybe the cheerleading might be insightful as to why other states think so many Californians are obnoxiously loyal??
Well we are on the California forum, if there was a place where were allowed to cheerlead for Cali, I would think it would be here.

Last edited by Mach50; 01-24-2008 at 09:17 AM..

Old 01-24-2008, 09:25 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,133 times
Quote:
So basically liberals are hated because they fear the gun shot they heard might have killed someone or that the mines may be causing cancer and killing off people. Oh no!! Those pesty liberal, californians. Damn them for caring about human beings.
I'm from the country & yes, I've shot guns on my own property. And it would be VERY annoying for me to have to stop doing this just because someone isn't used to hearing gunshots (maybe b'c they are from a city) & cannot deal with the way country folk live.
I'm sure there are plenty of ways that a country person could annoy a neighbor after moving in to a new neighborhood as well.

I can see how a difference in lifestyles could effect how we perceive each other.

And yeah, it's OK to be proud & loyal, but don't overdo it. I, personally, think it's cool to be humble.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:06 AM

281 posts, read 1,185,054 times
Here's some opinions about Californians as I see them as a native.
1. Nobody has much choice about where they're born, so to go about boasting that your something special is more a sign of low self-esteem as it is a God given gift.
2. When I see shows like "Real Housewives of OC", or Beverly Hills what-ever-that-number was" I can just imagine what people from other parts of the country think of California. No wonder people have pre-conceived images of what Californians are like.
3. The real reason the movie industry grew here isn't because of anything magic about the place. It's because back in the early 1900's, budding film makers got as far from it's real birthplace, New York, and patent infringement law suits because they were duplicating the movie cameras invented by people like Edison. And California was about as far as they could get.
4. 99.99999% of the California population doesn't surf.
5. 99.99999% of the population are not celebrity's
6. 99.99999% of the population are just regular folks who like the weather.
7. Very few people actually live in Los Angeles. The vast majority live in the one-story suburban expanses of the major cities. It just saves a lot of time to say your from LA to people who ask when your in another state. Even people who live here don't know where half the cities are.
For anyone who is going to visit California may I suggest a few things. Don't expect to see celebritys walking around in Hollywood. Hollywood is actually a dump. Movie stars just work there. They live somewhere else.
San Diego, it's zoo and Sea World are cool. Disneyland is great for kids. San Francisco is amazing. The beaches are best enjoyed in the summer. They get pretty chilly in the winter. And above all, expect most of the people you meet to be not much differant than anyone else.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:39 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,156,795 times
Quote:
I wasn't making judgments concerning what's right and what's wrong, I was just explaining what a lot of the problems are from. My views are mixed - I'm in favor of gun rights, I'm against mine toxicity but in favor of clean mine jobs, I'm in favor of gay rights as long as they're not obnoxious in public, and I despise PETA but am against true cruelty to animals.

But my views are irrelevant to my explanation of the problem. People in small towns don't like newcomers to move in and then, without considering the established view of the people who came before them, start "fixing what's wrong" with their new town in hopes that it will become more like the place they moved away from, because they were so disgusted with it.

Let's reverse roles here, and say that you, Cali4life, are living in a small, liberal village in California .... say Carmel. I'm living with my large clan in Texas, and have discovered oil while shooting for some food. I've shared the wealth, and my clan and I have decided to move to Carmel - about a hundred people.

Well, we buy up lots of Carmel properties and go around trapping opposums, blowing away ground squirrels for fun, and hunting deer .... we have noisy pickup trucks with gun racks, old cars up on blocks in the front yard, and we are dressed in jeans and white t-shirts. But soon more and more of us are arrested and jailed for gun infractions, and we're starting to suspect that local politics are just plain WRONG! And also the Carmel folk are dressed funny.

So we all get together and start piling into city council meetings, and working to get some of the family elected .... and it happens. We've got people inside local politics now, and we start gutting any local laws against gun ownership or against selling guns or trapping critters within the village. We tell everyone we see that they're dressed like clowns, and well tell them that their energy efficient hybrid cars ain't worth nothin', whut can they haul?

Don't you think the longtime residents of Carmel would get slightly pissed off?

And what if that were happening all around California?

Old 01-24-2008, 12:39 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,024,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Well we are on the California forum, if there was a place where were allowed to cheerlead for Cali, I would think it would be here.
You make a valid point but I'm afraid you missed mine.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 PM

105 posts, read 315,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I wasn't making judgments concerning what's right and what's wrong, I was just explaining what a lot of the problems are from. My views are mixed - I'm in favor of gun rights, I'm against mine toxicity but in favor of clean mine jobs, I'm in favor of gay rights as long as they're not obnoxious in public, and I despise PETA but am against true cruelty to animals.

But my views are irrelevant to my explanation of the problem. People in small towns don't like newcomers to move in and then, without considering the established view of the people who came before them, start "fixing what's wrong" with their new town in hopes that it will become more like the place they moved away from, because they were so disgusted with it.

Let's reverse roles here, and say that you, Cali4life, are living in a small, liberal village in California .... say Carmel. I'm living with my large clan in Texas, and have discovered oil while shooting for some food. I've shared the wealth, and my clan and I have decided to move to Carmel - about a hundred people.

Well, we buy up lots of Carmel properties and go around trapping opposums, blowing away ground squirrels for fun, and hunting deer .... we have noisy pickup trucks with gun racks, old cars up on blocks in the front yard, and we are dressed in jeans and white t-shirts. But soon more and more of us are arrested and jailed for gun infractions, and we're starting to suspect that local politics are just plain WRONG! And also the Carmel folk are dressed funny.

So we all get together and start piling into city council meetings, and working to get some of the family elected .... and it happens. We've got people inside local politics now, and we start gutting any local laws against gun ownership or against selling guns or trapping critters within the village. We tell everyone we see that they're dressed like clowns, and well tell them that their energy efficient hybrid cars ain't worth nothin', whut can they haul?

Don't you think the longtime residents of Carmel would get slightly pissed off?

And what if that were happening all around California?

I see what you are trying to say, Woof. But not all Californians are in city council meetings trying to change the politics of other states. We are just trying to live our lives like you guys are. And if some Californians, like myself, feel that they don't fit in or do not like the way things are run in that state, they move out of it and go back to where they came from or some other state where they think they may fit in better. So don't think that all Californians are trying to change your ways. I'm fixing my situation and thats by moving back to Ca.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
No doubt...maybe every state needs more Californians??

Oh yeah and those pesky Californians also want fitness centers, healthy food and tired of having a church on every block of the neighborhood...man they suck!

No doubt, the church thing is annoying. Especially if you live in Idaho. The Mormon churches here are like starbucks... there is one on every cornor. LOL

Old 01-24-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerorick View Post
Here's some opinions about Californians as I see them as a native.
1. Nobody has much choice about where they're born, so to go about boasting that your something special is more a sign of low self-esteem as it is a God given gift.
2. When I see shows like "Real Housewives of OC", or Beverly Hills what-ever-that-number was" I can just imagine what people from other parts of the country think of California. No wonder people have pre-conceived images of what Californians are like.
3. The real reason the movie industry grew here isn't because of anything magic about the place. It's because back in the early 1900's, budding film makers got as far from it's real birthplace, New York, and patent infringement law suits because they were duplicating the movie cameras invented by people like Edison. And California was about as far as they could get.
4. 99.99999% of the California population doesn't surf.
5. 99.99999% of the population are not celebrity's
6. 99.99999% of the population are just regular folks who like the weather.
7. Very few people actually live in Los Angeles. The vast majority live in the one-story suburban expanses of the major cities. It just saves a lot of time to say your from LA to people who ask when your in another state. Even people who live here don't know where half the cities are.
For anyone who is going to visit California may I suggest a few things. Don't expect to see celebritys walking around in Hollywood. Hollywood is actually a dump. Movie stars just work there. They live somewhere else.
San Diego, it's zoo and Sea World are cool. Disneyland is great for kids. San Francisco is amazing. The beaches are best enjoyed in the summer. They get pretty chilly in the winter. And above all, expect most of the people you meet to be not much differant than anyone else.

You rock! Thanks for pointing out the reality of Ca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California