Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 05:29 PM

471 posts, read 598,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
A desert theme can be attractive and appealing. Might as well make needed changes due to the water situation.
Agree that a drought tolerant landscape and be attractive and appealing, but there are so many impoverished, desolate, and downright ugly implementations that it simply shocks the mind.

But remember, coastal southern California is not a desert as was previously pointed out. So a "desert theme" is somewhat out of place. Only a philistine would call coastal southern California a "desert". It is coastal Mediterranean as noted by another, the flora should reflect as much if you are planning to "adapt" to the current situation.

If you want to put something in, put in something that is in harmony with the coastal Mediterranean biome.

From Wikipedia:

Natural vegetation
The native vegetation of Mediterranean climate lands must be adapted to survive long, hot summer droughts and prolonged wet periods in winter. Mediterranean vegetation examples include the following:

Evergreen trees: such as Pines, Cypresses, and Oaks
Deciduous trees: such as Sycamores, Oaks, and Buckeyes
Fruit trees such as Olives, Figs, Citrus, and Grapes
Shrubs: Bay laurel, Ericas, Banksias, and Chamise
Sub-shrubs: such as Sages, Artemisias, and Sagebrush
Grasses: Grassland types, Themeda triandra, Bunchgrasses; Sedges, and Rushes
Herbs: such as fragrant Rosemary, Thyme, and Lavender.

Ugly gravel heaps are bad for the environment and are totally out of place in a coastal Mediterranean environment.

Gravel heaps are the philistines choice for lawn replacement.

Some examples of coastal southern California for reference.

Last edited by GoldenZephyr; 05-12-2015 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 05:50 PM

33 posts, read 42,088 times
Default This is America-Wake up!

If you can afford the water,drink it.If you can afford the steak,eat it.If you can afford the gas,guzzle it.This is America people,wake up!Americans want the dream and their only limit is their wallet.So live it up,use it up and give it up to what you can afford.Do not waste your life living without when others do not.You have just as much right to the dream as anyone.Who are you saving it for,the rich to use.Water,gas,food,air and everything else you need to make you happy is here now.If where you are runs out just move further down the road.This is America for Gods sake!We all can have as much as we can afford.You all must be thinking of another country?

Old 05-13-2015, 02:34 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,494,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
Because most people don't like a desert theme and find it desolate, depressing, and ugly. That is why the wealthy have huge lawns and gardens. They like green, not drab brown.

Besides, some of us live in a coastal Mediterranean climate, which is nothing like most of Arizona. The hills are covered in native plants, tall grasses, coastal oak and bushes. It's is not barren rock and cactus. Learn your biomes. Rock piles are totally unsuited and even harmful for the ecology of coastal California.

Synthetic turf is a better option, allows you to keep the green and lowers the water use.

Have you seen Sicily? Or Greece? Or even the Tuscany region of Italy? THOSE are "coastal Mediterranean" climates! No huge lawns. It's drab brown, except during rainy season. Lots of rocks, cacti, succulents.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:33 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,789,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truewalker View Post
If you can afford the water,drink it.If you can afford the steak,eat it.If you can afford the gas,guzzle it.This is America people,wake up!Americans want the dream and their only limit is their wallet.So live it up,use it up and give it up to what you can afford.Do not waste your life living without when others do not.You have just as much right to the dream as anyone.Who are you saving it for,the rich to use.Water,gas,food,air and everything else you need to make you happy is here now.If where you are runs out just move further down the road.This is America for Gods sake!We all can have as much as we can afford.You all must be thinking of another country?
Thank you for clearly demonstrating for all of us the meaning of the term "the Ugly American." The satire is much appreciated.

Reminds us that just because we CAN, doesn't mean we DO. Maturity is interesting like that!

30% reduction in water use ordered for San Jose residents, starting yesterday. The price for petulance is about to go up...

Old 05-13-2015, 12:10 PM

Default The Big Lie

The world is not going to end tomorrow.People need to grow up and start enjoying life.Stop letting the government,news,rich and other countries run your life.Only one thing has power over your life,MONEY!So get on with it as you can afford.You think you are going to save us all because you bought a Prius?Hitler is reborn through the power of money.This is the truth that people can`t handle.You have the choice to be its prisoner or set yourself free.What a joke this country has become because of those with money and power over others.America was sold and has left the building.Get a grip people and live your life the best you can afford and set yourself free of trying to save what has long been gone.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:50 PM

Default The Big Truth

The people who control America tell you we have a bad air problem and make you pay for changes.They say we have a fossil fuel problem and make you pay for changes.They say we have a water problem and make you pay for changes.A better way to put it is"I can`t light my fireplace,I can`t drive my 52 Chevy,I can`t water my lawn and I have to pay for these changes.The big truth is we could make the problem go away instead of adjusting to it.This of course will never happen without revolution.So there it is,get rid of the people who control America and give control back to the people.If you need a leader,let me know.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:08 PM

19,570 posts, read 9,096,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post

As far as the drought specifically, the fine is an absolute joke to them. They make enough in a second to pay the fine. So no need to comply.
That right there is the problem, and that is why the wealthy get away with so much. If your income is $50,000 a week, a $1,000 fine means a lot less to you than it would if your weekly income is $400. And this is also why huge corporations continue to pollute or violate other laws; most fines are little more than petty cash to them. That is why I think fines for companies should be based on a percentage of gross income; and a combination of a fine and community service should be required from the major "breadwinner" in each household who ignores watering restrictions.

Maybe then those people who ignore the rules will stop doing so after being forced to spend a few hours picking up highway trash each week!

Old 05-13-2015, 05:49 PM

17,504 posts, read 17,386,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
That right there is the problem, and that is why the wealthy get away with so much. If your income is $50,000 a week, a $1,000 fine means a lot less to you than it would if your weekly income is $400. And this is also why huge corporations continue to pollute or violate other laws; most fines are little more than petty cash to them. That is why I think fines for companies should be based on a percentage of gross income; and a combination of a fine and community service should be required from the major "breadwinner" in each household who ignores watering restrictions.

Maybe then those people who ignore the rules will stop doing so after being forced to spend a few hours picking up highway trash each week!
Fines should be a percentage of your income instead of a set dollar amount.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 PM

19,146 posts, read 16,539,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Selfish celebrities ignore California’s drought to keep lawns green | Page Six

Photos don't lie. I'll hold my breath for the day the governor and water police go after them.
I just heard a story on the news about those celebrities in your article. Barbra Streisand responded and said she is going to cut back. No word on the rest of the celebs, though.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:05 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,315,737 times
I suggested a regressive type of fine structure in another discussion as well. I'm surprised that no one else picked up on it. And I agree. Except that it's too easy to manipulate numbers so that, on paper, a person who pockets $50k a week, can appear to make "just" $100. So I would prefer that, for such a system to be implemented a little more fairy, would be to base them on the assessed value of the property in question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California