Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 12:45 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,093,955 times

Advertisements

[quote=Ruth4Truth;41593651][quote=nslander;41577419]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
this El Nino won't help the drought Temporarily. Then--it's back to drought.
It's a temporary reprieve only because:

Our population continues to grow;
We lack infrastructure (many more reservoirs, etc.) as mechanisms to survive future droughts; and
The agricultural sector has yet to make massive systemic changes to the way it irrigates, what is grown here, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 12:55 PM

102,114 posts, read 107,301,106 times
[quote=LuvSouthOC;41593720][quote=Ruth4Truth;41593651]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post

It's a temporary reprieve only because:

Our population continues to grow;
We lack infrastructure (many more reservoirs, etc.) as mechanisms to survive future droughts; and
The agricultural sector has yet to make massive systemic changes to the way it irrigates, what is grown here, etc.
Thanks for a good post. More reservoirs would mainly catch rainfall during El Nino years. While that's a good idea, I don't think it would solve the problem long term. Ag is starting to change, but not enough. I certainly hope people have stopped planting almond groves and other high-water-consumption crops, but I'm not holding my breath.

Other parts of the country need to step up with ag development; CA has been allowed to dominate the market too long. I was up in the PNW recently, and on the Olympic Peninsula people said the area there is doing just that--bringing more farms into production, in part to make the area self-sufficient food-wise, in case of a regional collapse. Interesting thought-processes going on there. Thought followed by action. But it's dry everywhere; I don't know where they think they'll get the water for expanded crops. Some friends of mine said they were short of water for their own kitchen gardens.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:34 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,641,185 times
[quote=Ruth4Truth;41593813][quote=LuvSouthOC;41593720]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks for a good post. More reservoirs would mainly catch rainfall during El Nino years. While that's a good idea, I don't think it would solve the problem long term. Ag is starting to change, but not enough. I certainly hope people have stopped planting almond groves and other high-water-consumption crops, but I'm not holding my breath.
getting off topic but here is interesting article about the drought, almonds and water…. Almonds in California: They use up a lot of water, but they deserve a place in California’s future.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:51 PM

A second poisonous sea snake shows up on SoCal beaches.

2nd yellow bellied sea snake found washed up on California's Huntington beach | Daily Mail Online

Old 12-20-2015, 08:22 PM

806 posts, read 953,882 times
El Nino is already officially here and will bring powerful storms Jan - Mar.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:11 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,311,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
El Nino is already officially here and will bring powerful storms Jan - Mar.
I hope it brings massive amounts of Snow or it will not really help the drought and simply bring bad weather through the Winter.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:02 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,482,878 times
I read that historically (well, since the 1950s) El Nino patterns usually result in much heavier than normal rain in November and December. As of December 9th we are about 60% of normal rainfall/snowpack (instead of 200% normal back in 1997). El Nino "can" result in above normal rainfall, but its not a given. I was thinking all last fall I wish the media would shut up about it so they don't jinx us.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:48 PM

El Nino is expected to be strongest over next three months.

NOAA: El Niño picks up over the next three months | KRON4.com

Old 12-21-2015, 04:37 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,269,663 times
[quote=Ruth4Truth;41593813][quote=LuvSouthOC;41593720]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Other parts of the country need to step up with ag development; CA has been allowed to dominate the market too long. I was up in the PNW recently, and on the Olympic Peninsula people said the area there is doing just that--bringing more farms into production, in part to make the area self-sufficient food-wise, in case of a regional collapse. Interesting thought-processes going on there. Thought followed by action. But it's dry everywhere; I don't know where they think they'll get the water for expanded crops. Some friends of mine said they were short of water for their own kitchen gardens.
reservoirs are where they pump up the purified sewer..before it goes to your tap again

Old 12-21-2015, 06:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,331,767 times
So far the pattern is actually more like La Nina, which is really surprising even to me. I'm sure there will be a lot of research done on this.

My own theory is that there is destructive interference between PDO or even some longer wavelength oscillation, and, ENSO. Whatever "it" is, is overpowering ENSO along the West Coast of North America.

Silver lining for OR - their drought is essentially over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California