Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 08:19 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Glad I am selling a building I own for one of my businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 06:12 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarunner View Post
a few comments...

All taxable property in california pays the exact same 1% statewide prop 13 rate... Doesn't matter when you bought.

For those that bought in 1968... The property tax could very well be indexed as far back to 1975...

Prop 13 does a few things... It established a base value based on fair market value at the time of transfer... Most often near the sales price...

Prop 13 limits inflation increases to a max of 2% annually

prop 13 requires voter approval for new assessments... 55% to build a new school and 2/3 for most others.

The parent/child exclusion from re-assessment is not prop 13... This came about long after prop 13 become law... There is even a grandparent/grandchild exclusion should the parent be deceased.

The exclusion is not automatic... It must be applied for with supporting documentation...

As far as huge appreciation factors... No need to go back decades...

I have posted before about an east oakland foreclosure in 2009 that sold for 80k... Last year it sold for over 600k

length of ownership is no where to be found in the text of prop 13.

Governor brown eloquently said prop 13 is settled law... Those that mess with it do so at their own peril and it is the third rail of politics... As in bart third rail which can finish you through electrocution...
Good points.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:39 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Nevada's booming economy is proof of this policies success.
It doesn't seem too bad to me, but why not better articulate your point? Are you claiming that their split roll tax has slowed their economic growth?

https://www.bea.gov/regional/bearfac...TATE&geotype=3

http://nevadaworkforce.com/Portals/1...urrent_EIB.pdf

Old 08-03-2018, 09:44 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It doesn't seem too bad to me, but why not better articulate your point?
"doesn't seem too bad to me"

Really? What's "good" about the Nevada economy in your "analysis"? What are the emerging industries (non-tourism based) in Nevada that you would dump money into? Why? Because I'm always looking for opportunities.

Quote:
Are you claiming that their split roll tax has slowed their economic growth?
I'm claiming that increased property taxes targeting business has the effect of increasing cost of doing business which naturally stunts private sector business growth. This has been the case 100% of the time everywhere and there are literally no counter examples anywhere to dispute this. It's literally the economic equivalent of saying 'water is wet'.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I'm claiming that increased property taxes targeting business has the effect of increasing cost of doing business which naturally stunts private sector business growth. This has been the case 100% of the time everywhere and there are literally no counter examples anywhere to dispute this. It's literally the economic equivalent of saying 'water is wet'.
Prove it then.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:12 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Prove it then.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:14 PM

I thought we were talking about Nevada

Old 08-03-2018, 12:16 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
"
And California’s suffering is somehow restricting it from growth, eh? Tough to be so burdened when you are only the 5th strongest economy in the world, no?

Old 08-03-2018, 11:21 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And California’s suffering is somehow restricting it from growth, eh? Tough to be so burdened when you are only the 5th strongest economy in the world, no?
Business that leave CA due to taxes don't belong here anyways.

If you can not afford to be HQ'd on the west coast or NYC, your business than go the wasteland that is middle america.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:35 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Business that leave CA due to taxes don't belong here anyways.

If you can not afford to be HQ'd on the west coast or NYC, your business than go the wasteland that is middle america.
You think Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, etc are wasteland?
Ca had lost slot of film and tv production to ga because of taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California