Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 07:53 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

I wasn't aware we were arguing. But whatever.

I've shown you that even using your assumptions for the sake of argument, 100% of the delta in tax flows through to PEOPLE. Actual people. People who either consume, work, or invest. People who own stock. People who save in 401Ks. People who rely upon payouts from defined benefit pension plans.

Widows.
Orphans.
People in their 80s and 90s.

Actual PEOPLE.

So every time some SJW says we need to tax "corporations" to pay their "fair share," you need to substitute "ACTUAL PEOPLE" into the phrase.

I get that many progressives don't like it. But it is ineluctably self-evident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 08:13 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

I've shown you that even using your assumptions for the sake of argument, 100% of the delta in tax flows through to PEOPLE. Actual people. People who either consume, work, or invest. People who own stock. People who save in 401Ks. People who rely upon payouts from defined benefit pension plans.

Widows.
Orphans.

Actual PEOPLE.

So every time some SJW says we need to tax "corporations" to pay their "fair share," you need to substitute "ACTUAL PEOPLE" into the phrase.

Yes. Of course it “flows through to PEOPLE” ... that’s always the case. The question is: WHICH people, and in what forms.

I, too, have no interest in picking this apart further and further. You have made a very erudite case for your point of view. Kudos. It remains largely specious, imo. That “rathole” you mentioned previously you “don’t want to go down”? Lots of reality down there, brother. Including “executive (employee) compensation” that is individually astounding ... whereas small stockholder returns are nearly without impact individually. And, R&D is very much an issue, contrary to your dismissal ... in that it affects long-term viability of the entire venture and profitability ... which, as noted, is considerably ore meaningful for the leading players.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:02 AM

661 posts, read 691,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

Widows.
Orphans.

Actual PEOPLE.

The top 10% own 84% of stocks, either directly or through investment vehicles like mutual funds, etfs, and pensions. But good imagery with the widows and orphans bit.

Household Wealth Trends in the United States, 1962 to 2016: Has Middle Class Wealth Recovered?

Old 08-20-2018, 10:34 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
The top 10% own 84% of stocks, either directly or through investment vehicles like mutual funds, etfs, and pensions. But good imagery with the widows and orphans bit.

Household Wealth Trends in the United States, 1962 to 2016: Has Middle Class Wealth Recovered?
Exactly! And only 54% of people in the US are invested in the stock market, whether through individual stock ownership, pensions or 401k's. It seems that almost half of people never got the invitation to the Wall Street party.

Quote:
Barely one-third of families in the bottom 50% of earners own stocks, according to the Fed. On the other hand, nearly 94% of the top income group owned stocks in 2016. Lower-income Americans don't have extra money to put into stocks, and a third of workers don't have access to a 401(k) or another retirement plan, according to Pew. Young people are also less likely to benefit from the rally.
Less than a third of people ages 18 to 29 owned stocks on average between 2009 and 2017, according to a Gallup survey released in April. Nearly two-thirds of Americans between 30 and 64 own stocks. "They saw their parents get burned and don't have as much money to invest," says Ryan Detrick, a senior market strategist at LPL Financial.

In all, just 54% of Americans invest in the market, either through individual stocks, mutual funds, pensions or retirement plans like a 401(k), according to Gallup. That's down 11% since the Great Recession.
https://money.cnn.com/2017/10/20/inv...ans/index.html

Old 08-20-2018, 10:48 AM

*clears throat* (and says nothing further)

Old 08-20-2018, 11:56 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpSpillz View Post
You don't need an invitation from Wall Street. ANYONE could participate through low cost options such as robin hood, acorns, betterment, etc. The biggest problem is that there is not nearly enough financial literacy/education in K-12 schooling these days. I mean it's nice that people can learn to quote Proust, but can they understand how compound interest works? what a bond is? how to secure a mortgage? how important credit scores are to everyday life?
Perhaps now would be a good time to read the article I linked in my post?

Old 08-21-2018, 09:39 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Business that leave CA due to taxes don't belong here anyways.

If you can not afford to be HQ'd on the west coast or NYC, your business than go the wasteland that is middle america.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:08 AM

What’s really funny is that you’ve come back to the forum CR.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Exactly! And only 54% of people in the US are invested in the stock market, whether through individual stock ownership, pensions or 401k's. It seems that almost half of people never got the invitation to the Wall Street party.
Gee, people can't cough up $7 for a trade on a free personal investors account through any of the numerous institutions like Vanguard?

I love how people in here are trying to paint the stock market as some insurmountable membership only club.

Guess they have to have the newest shiniest iPhone instead! (which is fine by me since I have over 800 shares in Apple)

Old 08-21-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
What’s really funny is that you’ve come back to the forum CR.
I'm glad I could bring a smile to the face of one of my numerous fans. Thanks for noticing my absence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California