Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 01:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,300,223 times

Advertisements

I can't get on any conspiracy bandwagons.

I did, however, go to the first farmer's market of the year in Crescent City this morning. I bought a lovely loaf of fresh bread for $5.00 from a bakery in Ashland. Artichoke parmesan somethingorother. I thought $5.00 was a fair price for something so special, and it was a good size.

I also bought $2.00 worth of fresh salad greens from a lovely young mother with a young toddler on her hip who has an organic farm in Happy Valley. The price was only $1.20 for a salad's worth, which I also thought was fair. I told her to keep the change because she actually runs a farm with that little baby! She got up at the crack of dawn with that toddler, and her stuff wasn't selling like hot cakes, so I bought some of her greens. Her price was fair, though, too.

I left the farmer's market and swung by Grocery Outlet to buy a gallon of milk, and found some brie on sale for just $1.50 each! Normally something like $7.00. I don't care where it came from :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 01:58 PM

21,594 posts, read 16,122,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I can't get on any conspiracy bandwagons.

I did, however, go to the first farmer's market of the year in Crescent City this morning. I bought a lovely loaf of fresh bread for $5.00 from a bakery in Ashland. Artichoke parmesan somethingorother. I thought $5.00 was a fair price for something so special, and it was a good size.

I also bought $2.00 worth of fresh salad greens from a lovely young mother with a young toddler on her hip who has an organic farm in Happy Valley. The price was only $1.20 for a salad's worth, which I also thought was fair. I told her to keep the change because she actually runs a farm with that little baby! She got up at the crack of dawn with that toddler, and her stuff wasn't selling like hot cakes, so I bought some of her greens. Her price was fair, though, too.

I left the farmer's market and swung by Grocery Outlet to buy a gallon of milk, and found some brie on sale for just $1.50 each! Normally something like $7.00. I don't care where it came from :-)
I never called Monsanto, Cargill, DuPont a conspiracy. They are simply giant agri-business corporations with incredibly devious, aggressive business plans. They WILL control the world food supplies as they are positioning themselves. Strictly corporate business at its worst. Not political nor ideological. They get what they want through bribery and political appointments and science for hire whores. They are as ruthless as any Wall st. bankers ever dreamed of being.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:10 PM

102,072 posts, read 107,051,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I never called Monsanto, Cargill, DuPont a conspiracy. They are simply giant agri-business corporations with incredibly devious, aggressive business plans. They WILL control the world food supplies as they are positioning themselves. Strictly corporate business at its worst. Not political nor ideological. They get what they want through bribery and political appointments and science for hire whores. They are as ruthless as any Wall st. bankers ever dreamed of being.
Yes, they are scary, especially now that one of their guys is in charge of food/ag at the UN. Plus, there's the fact that if one of their seeds blows onto a neighboring farm, they have the right to sue for patent infringement. In this way, they gain control of more farmland, as most farmers, especially in the developing world, don't have the money to fight them in court. IMO, it's the family farmers who should sue them, for invasion and hijacking of their seed stock, which, in some cases, involved heirloom seeds. This is why Mexico has shut them out. Mexico literally invented corn. They don't need anyone else telling them how to do it.

Growers really need to get wise to these scheisters.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:59 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,782,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, they are scary, especially now that one of their guys is in charge of food/ag at the UN. Plus, there's the fact that if one of their seeds blows onto a neighboring farm, they have the right to sue for patent infringement. In this way, they gain control of more farmland, as most farmers, especially in the developing world, don't have the money to fight them in court. IMO, it's the family farmers who should sue them, for invasion and hijacking of their seed stock, which, in some cases, involved heirloom seeds. This is why Mexico has shut them out. Mexico literally invented corn. They don't need anyone else telling them how to do it.

They are wise to them, but as you outlined earlier, they are all but powerless to prevent them from doing as they please.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Family farmers' heirloom seeds are not patentable. They have nothing to sue with / for.

Growers are plenty wise. Just powerless by comparison.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Family farmers' heirloom seeds are not patentable. They have nothing to sue with / for.

Growers are plenty wise. Just powerless by comparison.
They can sue for seed harassment. Seriously, if the Monsanto consumers can't control their seeds to the point that innocent bystanders/farmers are subject to lawsuits as if they'd committed a theft, the innocent should be able to sue. In this context, with so much at stake, allowing a patented seed to spread next door becomes an aggressive act. How would the family farmers (and courts) know that the seed contamination wasn't deliberate? How would anyone know that premeditated acts of seed sabotage weren't being committed? Monsanto farmers should be required to control their seeds.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
They can sue for seed harassment. Seriously, if the Monsanto consumers can't control their seeds to the point that innocent bystanders/farmers are subject to lawsuits as if they'd committed a theft, the innocent should be able to sue. In this context, with so much at stake, allowing a patented seed to spread next door becomes an aggressive act. How would the family farmers (and courts) know that the seed contamination wasn't deliberate? How would anyone know that premeditated acts of seed sabotage weren't being committed? Monsanto farmers should be required to control their seeds.
Lmao Those are great arguments

Too bad you couldn't afford to take them to court.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Lmao Those are great arguments

Too bad you couldn't afford to take them to court.
It only makes sense, if you look at the big picture. Honestly, I'm surprised Vandana Shiva and other pro-Native seed and -traditional farming activists haven't thought of this. They need better lawyers.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:12 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,267,885 times
Quote:
We agree again.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:51 PM

5,891 posts, read 3,199,452 times
The government decided that stealing family farms through death taxes was preferable to local food production...

Another problem brought to you by idiots (the ones who vote, and the ones they vote FOR).

Good job, America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California