Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 05:54 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

I'm already passed college, but this has been on my mind for a while. Would you say that there are some CSUs that rank better than UC Riverside and UC Merced? Would you say some CSUs do better in some majors than some UCs? I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 06:50 PM

807 posts, read 897,567 times
Sure. Especially if you pick departments that don't exist at certain campuses.

For example, I've never heard of the undergraduate Structural Engineering programs at U.C. Santa Barbara or Santa Cruz being discussed. I don't think they have such a program, although other engineering specialties like mechanical or bioengineering are there at one or both of them.

CalPoly Pomona and SLO have pretty good reputations for structural engineering and architecture, at least inside California. I would expect the reverse to be be true if we switched to Literature and related subjects or Environmental Sciences.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:43 PM

Does CSU Fullerton excel in any department over others? I heard graphic design is top notch there.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:48 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,769,609 times
Cal Poly Pomona has a great Engineering department and has the Collins College of Hospitality Management. If you want an Agriculture degree, but also stay in Southern California, Cal Poly Pomona is your best bet.

https://www.cpp.edu/

https://www.cpp.edu/~agri/

http://www.cpp.edu/~engineering/index.shtml

https://www.cpp.edu/~collins/

Old 06-15-2015, 09:16 PM

So maybe just the Cal Polys are on par with some of the UCs? That's what I am hearing so far.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
So maybe just the Cal Polys are on par with some of the UCs? That's what I am hearing so far.
That is probably true. I had guaranteed admission to UC Riverside but chose Cal Poly Pomona. It depends a lot on your own personal situation.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
That is probably true. I had guaranteed admission to UC Riverside but chose Cal Poly Pomona. It depends a lot on your own personal situation.
i just realized they finally changed cp pomona's web address to cppomona from csu pomona. thank goodness.

Location wise, Pomona and Riverside aren't that different. One is closer to disneyland the beach. Both have warmer climates.

From what I gathered from going to Cal Poly SLO, is that 50% of the students were from the Bay Area and the next group was from LA area and the rest from around the state and about 5% from San Luis or Santa Barbara County. All the ag majors seemed to have left to return to the San Joaquin Valley or Inland Empire for work. Many of the engineering students went on to some big city to work. I only had two friends who I graduated with who ended up staying and he ended up getting a job in Santa Maria, so technically not even in the SLO area still. I had 2 friends who got jobs out of state.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
i just realized they finally changed cp pomona's web address to cppomona from csu pomona. thank goodness.
The domain will be changing in July to cpp.edu.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:43 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Does CSU Fullerton excel in any department over others? I heard graphic design is top notch there.
Baseball.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:56 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,075,941 times
Quote:
CSULB has a long waiting list for their BFA program for Graphic Designs.

CSU of Fullerton is an alternative. I would rather go there instead of the AI..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California