Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:50 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

Heard of ALDI, but no locations around for me to see how it is yet.

Hagggen just opened & it looks exactly like the Labertson's it replaced that used to be in that location, so I don't see anything special there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 03:49 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

Hagggen just opened & it looks exactly like the Labertson's it replaced that used to be in that location, so I don't see anything special there.
Haggen looks just like the Albertson's it replaced, but prices are much higher. Won't shop there anymore.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:48 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
We already have an Aldi subsidary in most metro areas in California. Doesn't everyone know that Aldi owns Trader Joe's? Some of the Trader Joe's storebrand stuff looks & tastes like it is from the same manufacturers that makes Aldi storebrand stuff. In Germany, I've seen Trader Joe's storebrand stuff in an Aldi store! I would think Aldi would not want to rob market share from Trader Joe's in the same local area.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:40 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
The 45 stores in southern CA open next March. You pack your own groceries at Aldi....I wonder how that'll go over here.

Discount grocer Aldi to open 45 stores in Southland - LA Times

Old 06-23-2015, 12:14 AM

807 posts, read 898,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The 45 stores in southern CA open next March. You pack your own groceries at Aldi....I wonder how that'll go over here.

Discount grocer Aldi to open 45 stores in Southland - LA Times
Thanks for the heads up. I'm actually a little eager to see what they're like and how good their private-label stuff turns out to be.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:18 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
Here's an incomplete list of the competition in California off of the top of my head:
I'm north of LA so we have a bunch of chains you didn't mention like Super King, Superior, etc.

We have so many stores to choose from around here, unless Aldi offers something significantly different from the other stores, I probably won't shop in them. I have a hard enough time juggling the 10+ stores I already regularly shop at. (Ralphs, Vons, Ranch 99, Super King, Golden Farms, Smart & Final, HK Market, Vallerta, Trader Joe's, etc.)

I just read the article in Business Insider and I must add that prepackaged produce seems to equal death around here. Lots of ethnic shoppers who like to pinch their produce. They won't buy the prepackaged stuff because that's usually how the bad produce is hidden.

Last edited by UB50; 06-23-2015 at 01:28 AM..

Old 06-23-2015, 12:41 PM

807 posts, read 898,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I'm north of LA so we have a bunch of chains you didn't mention like Super King, Superior, etc.

We have so many stores to choose from around here, unless Aldi offers something significantly different from the other stores, I probably won't shop in them. I have a hard enough time juggling the 10+ stores I already regularly shop at. (Ralphs, Vons, Ranch 99, Super King, Golden Farms, Smart & Final, HK Market, Vallerta, Trader Joe's, etc.)

I just read the article in Business Insider and I must add that prepackaged produce seems to equal death around here. Lots of ethnic shoppers who like to pinch their produce. They won't buy the prepackaged stuff because that's usually how the bad produce is hidden.
Thanks for pointing that out, I was hoping people would chime in with more groceries that I didn't know about. Los Angeles is pretty exceptional when it comes to food. You definitely have an enviable problem with variety!

Old 06-23-2015, 12:47 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
We already have an Aldi subsidary in most metro areas in California. Doesn't everyone know that Aldi owns Trader Joe's? Some of the Trader Joe's storebrand stuff looks & tastes like it is from the same manufacturers that makes Aldi storebrand stuff. In Germany, I've seen Trader Joe's storebrand stuff in an Aldi store! I would think Aldi would not want to rob market share from Trader Joe's in the same local area.
Yeah that's true and I sure can't get all (or most) of my shopping done at TJ. ALDI would probably have lots more basics and less wine, flowers, etc.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:05 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
Thanks for pointing that out, I was hoping people would chime in with more groceries that I didn't know about. Los Angeles is pretty exceptional when it comes to food. You definitely have an enviable problem with variety!
Yeah. I don't want any of my favs to go out of business so I have to juggle where I shop every few days.

The reality, according to Wall Street analysts, is that Southern California has the most competitive grocery market in the USA. There's a guy (I think his name is Bert Fleckinger, or something close to that) who specializes in retail grocers and he's written a lot about the SoCal market and how innovations here have changed grocery stores across the country.

One issue with the produce around here: I notice that a lot of the smaller chains (5 stores or less) seem to have deals with some of the farmers and backyard growers and they get a lot of excellent produce that they sell for far less than the major chains. Some of the major farms have beautiful fruit that they package in big boxes for mail order, but the uglier siblings of those beauties (the pears with blemishes, the nectarines that aren't quite round, etc.) have to go somewhere and these chains buy that produce.

I also went into a Whole Foods one night and saw a package of tomatoes for $7.95. The funny thing was that I had just been in another store (not a chain store) where they had two huge pallet racks full of those boxes of tomatoes on sale for $.79 a box!

So, good luck Aldi's! They are going to need it!

Old 06-23-2015, 04:02 PM

605 posts, read 669,828 times
Aldi has entered other competitive grocery markets before (inc the Chicago, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Atlanta, Houston, New York, and DC metro areas) and they survived so I think they will be successful in Southern California. For groceries studies have shown that they were actually cheaper than Walmart (and the quality is generally better than Walmart as well). The only thing that new Aldi would need to get used to are four things;

1. Aldi typically only sells their own brand name items so you won't find some name brands that most people are used to such as Kraft, Lays, Oscar Meyer, Betty Crocker, etc.
2. You are expected to not only bag your own groceries, but also expected to either bring your own bag or pay for one in the store.
3. A quarter or token is needed in order to use their shopping carts, however if you return it you get your quarter back.
4. They only accept cash or debit cards.

Last edited by beasley106; 06-23-2015 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California