U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 10:22 AM

10 posts, read 7,605 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone...I would greatly appreciate honest and candid reviews from people who either live in Weaverville, CA now or did in the past.
I will be retiring soon and have only spent a few days recently in Weaverville, but was impressed by the following:
Friendly, welcoming people
Real estate I could afford
Seems like a fair amount of art and craft people (I am an Interior Design Consultant & like to knit, paint & create jewelry in my free time)
I hike & ride a mountain bike & enjoyed the Community Forest trails
Loved the Wednesday afternoon Farmers Market
Did not find store or gas prices much higher than where I live now (eastern Ventura county)
Don't have children so schools aren't an issue for me
Am not looking for love, just friends
Am very healthy so not dependent on specialized physicians
Won't be looking for work outside the home

My only concern is the heat in the summer. I don't mind heat (I live one mile from Simi Valley), but I've been checking the highs this past month & they seem to be near or over 100 a lot. I will continue to monitor that.
I'm also planning a trip there in December to see what I think about the area in the Winter.

Thanks for taking the time to read/respond to my post.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 12:27 PM

492 posts, read 294,801 times
Beautiful country that area is. I had family living there years ago (80's) and we would drive up from Ventura to visit. We fished at lake Trinity and Shasta (water level a bit low now). I loved visiting there and being in the woods.

In terms of the community and what they are like, as you probably know you have to spend time there and mingle to find out. I've been living from place to place for several years now and if I were you I would rent a place for 6 months to a year to get a feel for the community if it is urgent to you. Otherwise fire, ready, aim...

Old 07-02-2015, 12:31 PM

6,570 posts, read 8,743,882 times
Weaverville is an isolated community of 1500 two hours or more from a real hospital. You may want to try it on a trial basis first.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:59 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,534,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Weaverville is an isolated community of 1500 two hours or more from a real hospital. You may want to try it on a trial basis first.
Yep. It does have a private air ambulance service from Redding you can get membership in (20 minutes each way though).

Old 07-07-2015, 08:26 PM

3,744 posts, read 2,809,373 times
Weaverville

Pros
Nice small community of people who might be like minded,, definitely some artists
Areas of great natural beauty
Some remote property that is very private
Satellite hospital
Acceptable food services.. small library
Some fun community days with parades etc
Funky eclectic main street (those second floor balconies are where the ladies showed their stuff)
Always cooler than the valley

Cons
Forest fires... every year... repeat.. every year.. sometimes spectacular.. buy real estate depending upon fire safe/danger
Marijuana growing.. lots of it.. which may impact you depending upon your sensitivities... out of state growers are unfriendly and create associated crime and damage to eco systems
Insular community with a lot of social welfare.. juxtaposed by some money
Winter.. sometimes real winter.. grey.. cold,, snow...
Lack of services.. minimal Sheriffs deputies, volunteer fire (sometimes very backwards) bolstered by CALFIRE
Oakey good 'ol boy
Lots of people living on the fringe of society.. so there is that kind of behavior.. squatting.. drugs etc
Vacation population (299 fills up... campgrounds lakes hiking spots.. all fill up with people from other places and who may not have a buy in to the community)
Property costs are all over the map but there are few bargains.. they are snapped up for cash by the growers

I looked seriously at it... for California it might still have some nice appeal,,only for less people and less rat race but compared to elsewhere for me.. no way

Old 07-07-2015, 09:49 PM

13,031 posts, read 15,130,515 times
I retired to Redding November 2013, signed a year lease, and moved the heck out of there to the coast November 2014 LOL! The reason was the heat. It's unrelenting. 100 degrees and above from mid-May to mid-October without evening cool-downs. Seriously.

I guess the question is, what are you looking for? Why Weaverville? Then, maybe we can give you some other options.

I live in Crescent City, and although there are artists here, for sure, I wouldn't call it an artistic town by any stretch. Brookings, OR is on the coast and cuter than CC, but also not necessarily known as being artsy, although I know they have a theater group there and a farmer's market (There's a farmer's market in CC, too).

I'm assuming you can't afford Ashland, OR? Or Arcata, CA or Eureka, CA? If you're going to buy property, CA is preferable to OR, because of our property taxes being lower, though. You could do like the people here do, and live in CA and buy tax-free, and cheaper gas, in OR :-)

Why suffer in the heat? There's no perfect, affordable town, though. What's most important to you?

Old 03-07-2016, 04:13 PM

10 posts, read 7,605 times
I appreciate all of the great responses! This has helped me tremendously. I have decided that Weaverville is just a little bit too remote for me. Thanks again, everyone, for taking the time to respond.
Sincerely,
Stephanie J

Old 05-04-2016, 08:02 AM

62 posts, read 80,265 times
Anyone have any idea of the family life situation in Weaverville, kid activities, quality of schools, activities for stay-at-home moms etc.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:13 AM

872 posts, read 584,379 times
Your health may be good now, but when you turn 80, will it still be such that you can afford to be so far from medical care?

FYI - For schools, check out GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community. For weather, try Climate - United States - Monthly averages

Old 05-04-2016, 12:28 PM

6,570 posts, read 8,743,882 times
Do you realize there are only 3000 people in Weaverville??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California