Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How far south from the Oregon border is California considered the Pacific NW?
Not at all. PNW stops at the Oregon border 26 42.62%
Eureka/Arcata/Humboldt County 31 50.82%
Marin County 1 1.64%
San Francisco and the Peninsula 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 12:17 PM

102,059 posts, read 106,870,458 times

Advertisements

The "north coast" of CA is part of the PacNW, not only climatically, but also culturally. The tribes there depend on salmon as their primary source of protein, and the salmon plays a significant role in their culture and spirituality, as with the other NW tribes.

Not sure how far south that designation extends, but it doesn't usually include the Bay Area. It extends as far south as the rainy regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 12:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,648,459 times
I voted it starts here, in Humboldt or by extension Shasta.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:20 PM

6,275 posts, read 6,925,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z05 View Post
I see the PNW boundary defined by rainy weather and location. California is excluded and part of Oregon would be excluded because it is drier in the southern part of the state.
Well, that excludes eastern Washington and Oregon from the PNW. We get less precip than Tucson.

From an ecological point of view. The coast part of California is unique due to the redwood belt. It pretty much quits at the Oregon border. I have NEVER heard anybody refer to north coastal California as part of the PNW ecologically.

There is LOTS of debate on where the Cascades transition into the Sierra Nevada's. The consensus is somewhere around Mt. Lassen and Lake Almanor.

Since soils are the plumbing of an ecosystem here is a quote from the Lake Almanor chamber web site......

The Lake Almanor Basin and surrounding Lassen National Volcanic Forest area spread across a natural wonderland created by millions of years of geologic forces, a crossroad where the granite of the Sierra Nevada meets the lava of the Cascades.

I think that is a good area to split California from the PNW.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:28 PM

21,564 posts, read 16,072,372 times
Annnnnd still no support for the Bay and North Bay Both of which options I added to test the claim of the poster in the SF forum who says she lives / commutes to SF from north of the Bay in "the PNW". Hella commute, I'd say.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:40 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,698,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Annnnnd still no support for the Bay and North Bay Both of which options I added to test the claim of the poster in the SF forum who says she lives / commutes to SF from north of the Bay in "the PNW". Hella commute, I'd say.

Well, some pretty smart people have agreed with her. In truth, NW California has more in common with the PNW than it does with the rest of California. I put Humboldt, but the moister coastal areas of Marin and Mendocino Co. have a similar flavor. I don't necessarily agree about the eastern edges though. It seems to me that anything east of the Marbles and Yolla-Bolly Mtns. (e.g. Mt. Shasta area) is more like the Sierra Nevada than PNW. Mendocino, Humboldt, and Del Norte Cos. could be plunked in Oregon and not stand out, except for the awesome redwoods.

LEMMA | GNN Mapping for Northwest Forest Plan Effectiveness Monitoring

Old 07-16-2015, 03:50 PM

588 posts, read 1,312,541 times
I think of the PNW as Cascades, cooler and wet, a little bit of subculture, liberal in the larger cities and coastal areas. I include east of the Cascades also in the PNW but there is far less population. Yreka, Dunsmuir, Arcadia in my opinion are PNW. Mount Shasta is in the PNW IMO.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:21 PM

615 posts, read 658,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Well, that excludes eastern Washington and Oregon from the PNW. We get less precip than Tucson.
The point is what?

Old 07-16-2015, 04:34 PM

337 posts, read 403,928 times
California (NorCal including the Bay Area) is a state in itself.

There are three distinct regions on the West Coast: PNW, California and SoCal.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:17 PM

6,275 posts, read 6,925,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z05 View Post
The point is what?
The original poster defined the PNW as rainy and cloudy. Since eastern Washington and Oregon is sunny and dry I guess that means we are NOT part of the PNW.

Trying to define the PNW is probably not that important since really the only thing that matters is that state boundaries that really define the local situation.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:17 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,448,533 times
Lassen is actually the most southern Cascade volcano and is about due east of coastal Humboldt, that is also where the Cascadea subduction starts at Shelter cover and runs clear to Canada, the Pacific North West is defined by the subduction zone geology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California