U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How far south from the Oregon border is California considered the Pacific NW?
Not at all. PNW stops at the Oregon border 26 42.62%
Eureka/Arcata/Humboldt County 31 50.82%
Marin County 1 1.64%
San Francisco and the Peninsula 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 02:20 PM

7,705 posts, read 4,446,310 times

Advertisements

A contributor in a CA sub forum has declared Northern California is part of the Pacific NW. Perhaps it is by some definitions, such as coastal geology? But who, if anyone calls any part of the state the Pacific NW? How far south have you heard it referred to as PNW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 02:28 PM

5,168 posts, read 3,099,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
A contributor in a CA sub forum has declared Northern California is part of the Pacific NW. Perhaps it is by some definitions, such as coastal geology? But who, if anyone calls any part of the state the Pacific NW. How far south have you heard it referred to as PNW?
Never heard such in my life, not that it means anything in this modern era of Cali, and other such slang.

Perhaps we should rename Oregon to Wishbone. Then we could have WishyWashy as the term and forget about this region with the grandly formal and foreboding name of The Pacific Northwest.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:35 PM

A little research and I found this:

Pacific Northwest
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the region that includes parts of Canada and the United States. For the U.S.-only region, see Northwestern United States.

The Pacific Northwest (in the United States, commonly abbreviated as PNW), sometimes referred to as Cascadia, is a region in western North America bounded by the Pacific Ocean to the west and, loosely, by the Rocky Mountains on the east. Though no agreed boundary exists, a common conception includes the U.S. states of Oregon, Washington, and the Canadian province of British Columbia and far Northern California. Broader conceptions reach north into Alaska and Yukon, and east into Idaho and Western Montana, western Wyoming, and western Alberta, to the Continental Divide. Narrower conceptions may be limited to the Northwestern U.S. or to the coastal areas west of the Cascade and Coast mountains. The variety of definitions can be attributed to partially overlapping commonalities of the region's history, geography, society, and other factors.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:42 PM

I shouldnt be surprised that your poll focuses on coastal areas. Never heard of the great cities of Weaverville, Yreka, Weed, or Alturas?

Old 07-15-2015, 11:20 PM

9,995 posts, read 9,810,892 times
I picked Humboldt Co. Redwoods occur south of there, but it really seems like that is about where the PNW weather starts. Love it!

Old 07-16-2015, 12:04 AM

25,634 posts, read 24,947,940 times
A little bit below Shasta. Seeing as how that's the southern end of the Cascades Id say it's as good and answer as any.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:53 AM

12,690 posts, read 14,395,017 times
Well, considering that most people think the northern border of CA ends at San Francisco, I'm not surprised. But anyone who has driven north from Eureka into Oregon knows Humboldt County/Del Norte Counties could just as easily be part of Oregon.

Maybe we should base it on the old fur trade. That's probably the original definition anyway.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:36 AM

7,705 posts, read 4,446,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I shouldnt be surprised that your poll focuses on coastal areas. Never heard of the great cities of Weaverville, Yreka, Weed, or Alturas?
Sure. And you go ahead and feel free to gaze eastward from the coast on maps until you get to Nevada. Since the PNW is most associated with the wet side of the Cascade Range, it seems fair to use that as primary reference.

As bulldog dad points out, the Cascade Range ends about Mt. Shasta so anything south of that seems a stretch to me. But the poster in another thread who identifies her location as being PNW has also posted she lives on the Peninsula. No votes identifying that as PNW so far.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:51 AM

335 posts, read 177,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Sure. And you go ahead and feel free to gaze eastward from the coast on maps until you get to Nevada. Since the PNW is most associated with the wet side of the Cascade Range, it seems fair to use that as primary reference.

As bulldog dad points out, the Cascade Range ends about Mt. Shasta so anything south of that seems a stretch to me. But the poster in another thread who identifies her location as being PNW has also posted she lives on the Peninsula. No votes identifying that as PNW so far.
The Peninsula? Marin County? Joke right? Humboldt is a stretch but I could buy that I guess.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:29 AM

492 posts, read 279,750 times
I see the PNW boundary defined by rainy weather and location. California is excluded and part of Oregon would be excluded because it is drier in the southern part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California