U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:09 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,966,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I suspect those statistics represent Hispanics who drop out of high school far more than red neck conservatives. The lack of educational attainment of Hispanics is a huge issue in California, and Texas, IMO. Then again, the Democratic voting patterns are probably also driven, at least in part, by Hispanics. So, neither of us have proven our points very precisely. It could well be that the valley has a lot of low educational whites and Hispanics, but I think it also has a fair number of sensible folks too. Having grown up there, that is my recollection.
We certainly encourage the sensible citizens' progress. With them, there is hope for Fresno.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 07:00 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,241,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
We certainly encourage the sensible citizens' progress. With them, there is hope for Fresno.
I LOVE it when mirror kissing "open-minded" people adamantly stick to their narrow-minded preconceived notions. It humors me.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:31 PM

240 posts, read 477,836 times
Fresno has very friendly people and it's cheap. That's about it. The city is flat, boring and close to nothing. Want to fly southwest, go to a major league game, major attractions, you will need to drive almost 3 hours to get anywhere. It's in the middle of the ugliest part of California. At least Stockton and Bakersfield are close enough to major cities but Fresno just sits there alone and depressed surrounded by the world renowned cities of Hanford, Tulare, Visalia and Merced. Enjoy.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:33 PM

16,216 posts, read 19,240,095 times
We've had some pretty good luck & FUn fishing & camping over around Firebaugh.....

Old 10-09-2015, 02:54 AM

9,197 posts, read 14,966,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
I LOVE it when mirror kissing "open-minded" people adamantly stick to their narrow-minded preconceived notions. It humors me.
When the place changes, let us know.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:58 AM

2,169 posts, read 2,616,303 times
Never underestimate the power, allure, and widespread draw in circular logic.

People use it to describe almost everywhere:

"I want to move to Orange County because it's Orange County"

"The Central Valley sucks because it's the Central Valley"

Old 10-15-2015, 03:19 AM

34 posts, read 41,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd005 View Post
I keep reading a lot of bad things about crime, air quality, weather, and general QoL in Fresno. How bas is it really? Don't-ever-think-of-living-there kinda bad or just worse than rest of affluent CA? I hear it gets a lot of bad rep in terms of safety and general quality of life with a lot of gang activity.

If I had a good job in the city, moving from the East Coast...would it be worth it? The goal would be to be in a VERY safe neighborhood (suburbs are fine) with very good schools and hopefully not a crazy commute (~30 mins or so, perhaps?) to Fresno. Any suggestions/feedback?
In all reality if you want some comfortable living, good school district and within 30 minute commute to Fresno. You should look into Madera Ranchos off the 41. I personnally love the area and so glad that I didnt make the move into town. Its reasonable rent for large homes, its just a bit of a battle to get them because when they hit craigslist they are usually rented within a week. It takes about 15 minutes from our house to River Park area, and about 25 minutes to get to Fresno State depending on traffic and which road I take Bullard or Shaw.

Fresno has its issue like any place in the U.S. but we have good options close if you like the mountains and are burnt out on Yosemite. You can turn and go to Kings Canyon National Park. Lodge Pole is one of the better camp grounds with the creek running through the area. If you want to move out here, try coming out for a week or two in an extended stay hotel and get a feel for the area.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:37 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,321,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd005 View Post
I keep reading a lot of bad things about crime, air quality, weather, and general QoL in Fresno. How bas is it really? Don't-ever-think-of-living-there kinda bad or just worse than rest of affluent CA? I hear it gets a lot of bad rep in terms of safety and general quality of life with a lot of gang activity.

If I had a good job in the city, moving from the East Coast...would it be worth it? The goal would be to be in a VERY safe neighborhood (suburbs are fine) with very good schools and hopefully not a crazy commute (~30 mins or so, perhaps?) to Fresno. Any suggestions/feedback?
¿Puedes hablar español? 50+% of the 500,000+ population are Hispanic. It has the largest population of any California city. The marjority culture is Hispanic. If you are good with that you will be fine. A cultural change is the biggest personal challenge you will see day to day. Not the weather, crime or general quality of life IMHO. People are people everywhere, but some cultures clash. It's up to you to make a safe place in the community you live by belonging. Or I could be wrong and you will be added to Sunday's Pancita.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:08 PM

186 posts, read 685,169 times
So I wanted to revive this thread now that the idea of move is dangerously close to reality! At this point I think I feel OK with the safety situation - basically staying wayyy north of Shaw Ave with Clovis SD would be fine. Next worry is about the air quality. Some websites say kids develop asthma and allergies soon after moving to Fresno and that the Tule Fog and other brown air problems are real. Is it really that bad? It's gotten me worried sick now!

Old 11-17-2015, 06:06 PM

371 posts, read 284,094 times
I think the air here is fine. On the ground it feels like it. For example...somewhere like sf may have cleaner overall airbut you will be breathing more smog from vehicles direct if you are insome parts of town...if that makes sense. I spent timein longbeach....now good portions of that can reek of bunker fuel

But if you or yours have resp. Issues the area wont helpone bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California